PublishAmerica's stock image covers

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It likes they're even repeating the font and "details" - the same dividing line on the top two and the same little detail on the first 2 of the bottom tier. The font of the names on the bottom 3 all seem to be the same.

That's just... wow...

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
there are lots of books from legit publishers and sucessful well known writers which use stock images.

the one that springs to mind is The Host by Stephenie Meyer. That EXACT cover was used on a german book about five years before. stock photo.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
there are lots of books from legit publishers and sucessful well known writers which use stock images.

True, but I'll bet that few if any of them

1. use stock images with no alterations at all except for the title and author's name PhotoShopped on to the picture

2. use identical stock images for covers being released by the same publisher on the same day (that was how I found the brownish-yellow covers in my last post - they were on the same Amazon page when I did a PublishAmerica search)

3. use the same stock photos again and again and again, resulting in four or more books that look identical except for the title and author's name.

There is nothing wrong with using stock images per se, but there is something wrong with using them in a repetitive, apathetic way which may give no indication of the book's content.

Also, one claim made by PA's defenders is that PA has the best cover art or the best cover designers in the industry. This was the most effective way I could think of to counter such assertions.

I think I'll just copy and paste this the next time the issue of legit publishers using stock images comes up.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Aside from PA and a few other vanity publishers, the only books I've seen with identical covers were those that were intentionally done so because they were part of a series. Even then the publisher tended to at least provide some visual clues such as a different main color so readers would know readily that each was a different book in the same series.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
51mhR7%2B2nlL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51Qwy0a8MdL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

What's really jarring is that the title on the second candy-colored cover is "You Look Like You Have A Goiter".

Either there just aren't many stock images of goiters, or the "Cover Art Department" was too overworked to care. Or both.

51zIwOuAC4L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51nkrlwiO1L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51Ihy0ZAfuL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
9781451290219.jpg
51v2VcbNDOL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

51bt43-Qi6L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51rZkDNr3hL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51IMplX3r8L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

51KWd81GmhL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51V4Pbu511L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

51YPzGfJuvL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51I8qwCBh7L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
516TELCAgdL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The cover art people, all ten* of them, have a quota of covers to produce.
I suspect that's why they keep recycling the same covers with different titles; it's quicker than choosing a new picture every time.

*This is a guess on my part, based on things I've heard from reliable sources.

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Um, I think that title should be, "It Looks Like You Have A Goiter." "You Look Like You Have A Goiter" may be accurate; however, it's a bit more abrasive and in-your-face. Maybe that was intentional. It just feels a bit like blaming the person who has the goiter for having one. It isn't their fault!

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
The description says that a doctor told her "You look like you have a goiter." Note that this doesn't mean the same thing as "It looks like you have a goiter." The latter implies that the doctor believes she does, in fact have a goiter. The former just implies that her throat looks odd.

I guess that she did have a goiter though, since goiter is one of the primary symptoms of Grave's disease, which she apparently did have.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Good grief. As if the same cover isn't bad enough -- two with ATLANTIS in the title on the same cover. That's inexcusable coming from the same publisher.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was the sequel until I saw the two Atlantis books have different authors.

And how hard would it have been to do SOMETHING--crop a bit and blow it up, reverse, turn upside-down--just so the water reflections wouldn't be identical?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I thought the same thing, DreamWeaver. If the first author's name didn't take up two lines, I doubt I would have done a double check. PA is really slacking (more than usual).

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Aside from PA and a few other vanity publishers, the only books I've seen with identical covers were those that were intentionally done so because they were part of a series. Even then the publisher tended to at least provide some visual clues such as a different main color so readers would know readily that each was a different book in the same series.

Yes. James Owen's IMAGINARIUM GEOGRAPHICA series springs to mind. They might not be identical, but have very simliar dragons on the cover and each is a different color.

But James hand drew each and every one (and they are gorgeous), so they are nowhere near stock.

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the same thing, DreamWeaver. If the first author's name didn't take up two lines, I doubt I would have done a double check. PA is really slacking (more than usual).
The cover department could have at least changed the font of each title.
But again, in their defense (horrors!), they have a quota to meet.
It's faster to do the setup for one cover, then just change the text of the titles.

After all, the books are not destined to end up in book stores, so the duplication in all likelihood will not be noticed.

Except by the eagle eyes at AW... :D

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Here's another one with the prismatic cover. At least this time they photoshopped a clown into the background:
9781448989942.jpg

Reality's going to hit this one hard. She's got a HUGE header on her site declaring that PA "chose" her book for Oprah's Book Club.

Last edited:

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Reality's going to hit this one hard. She's got a HUGE header on her site declaring that PA "chose" her book for Oprah's Book Club.

Oh, my.

Well, the title is actually pretty cool. If a publisher had gotten hold of it (providing the book is good) I'm sure they could have come up with an intriguing cover.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
This link seems relevant to this thread.
http://www.orbitbooks.net/2010/03/08/blameless-or-how-to-design-a-cover-in-155-seconds/

It's a fast-forwarded look at creating a book cover at a real publishing house. Notice the extensive use of stock pictures, and yet, look at all the extra work that went into making the image unique for that particular book?

the link said:
Over 6 hours of my onscreen compositing, retouching, color correction, type obsessing, all condensed down to a slim sexy one minute 55 seconds of cover design. Trust me, no one wants to watch it in real-time…and even then I left out the not-as-riveting-onscreen stages of my cover design process, such as reading the manuscript, sifting through Alexia photoshoot outtakes, background photo research, etc. And since this is a series look that has already been established for Soulless and Changeless, there weren’t the usual batches and rounds of versions of different designs that happen with standalone or first-in-a-new-series covers. That would be a weeklong video!

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
This link seems relevant to this thread.
http://www.orbitbooks.net/2010/03/08/blameless-or-how-to-design-a-cover-in-155-seconds/

It's a fast-forwarded look at creating a book cover at a real publishing house. Notice the extensive use of stock pictures, and yet, look at all the extra work that went into making the image unique for that particular book?

WOW! That was really nifty! And, yeah, I suspect the average PA cover takes quite a bit less work than that . . .

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Oh, that was interesting. I love videos like that. Reminds me of the one Dove or someone similar put out. It was on the making of a billboard ad. (How the model goes from plain to print ready.) Thanks for posting.