James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The interesting part of this is - according to PA - my book sold not a single copy. Wonder who is lieing, PA or B& N. I know where I would put my bets

Those used copies may be phantoms.

The only way to be sure is to order one of them. When it's delivered you'll know it's real.

(Some on-line used-book sellers list books that they don't actually have in stock, betting that if an order comes in that they can locate a copy in a couple of days.)

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
PA's latest book offer

Dear Author:

PublishAmerica will send your book to Oscar winner Sandra Bullock!

Sunday night's Best Actress won the award for her role in The Blind Side, a movie based on a book that she read before she agreed to play the role.

We will now submit your book to Sandra Bullock and ask her to read it.

Here's how we do it for authors who choose to have a few extra books on hand:

Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your book, click on it, then add to cart, indicate quantity, and use this coupon: SandraBullock25. Then click Recalculate and finish the transaction. Minimum volume is only 6 copies. You will receive your books at a 25 pct discount, and we will print an extra copy that we will send to Sandra Bullock at no cost to you, or more if she requests more, also at no cost to you.

In the Ordering Instructions field, you may write a note for Sandra if you want.
We will include your note when we ship your book to her. Note that PublishAmerica
will keep your note confidential, and that Sandra Bullock may treat your book and
your personal note in any way she chooses.

Full-color and hardcovers excluded. Offer expires this weekend on Sunday night.

Thank you,
PublishAmerica Author Support Team

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Same old boilerplate email they've been using for months. Eventually, though, they're going to run out of A-list folks to bandy about, and find themselves dredging up something like, "Hey, you know that one guy who was a grip on the last Indiana Jones movie? Yeah, just buy twelve copies of your book for yourself, and we'll send five to him! How about them apples, huh?"

And some starry-eyed newbie will whip out his Visa card as he dials the phone: "Hot damn! The grip on the last Indiana Jones movie! That'll work! I'm walking in tall cotton now, boy ..."

luv lit

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I got an email today, if I buy 50 books at a deep discount of 60% I can have my contract back, Help, they are holding it for ransom! I told them I will not do this! I wrote back and told them if they paid 1 person $7.00 an hour, 1 hour per week to maintain my book,which is not much, compared to "REAL PUBLISHERS" mutiply that by 52 weeks in a year,that would be $364.00 a year, times that for 6 years[ the time left on my contract] that would be $2184.00, that they have paid to keep a book, for the sake of not letting me have it back. I told them I didn't understand their logic, it would be more cost effective to let me go. Well see what happens in the next email. Hope this plea for common sense works.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
luv lit, DON'T engage them in any kind of interaction. It won't do any good. They've been at this for 10 years and they've heard everything. You're only amusing them, you want to bore them.

Just keep sending certified mails to Larry Clopper until he gets tired of signing them and tells Miranda to cut the "deadbeat" loose.

If you went to that Wiki page and read about her, you'll know she's a batshit insane wing nut. We've seen ample evidence that she enjoys torturing writers and keeping them dangling. She's a bully, abusive, unprofessional, and holds a grudge.

But they keep her on the payroll because she's their kind of boss for the job. (Ugh!)

DON'T argue with her or anyone else there, just stick to the topic of getting out of your contract. Any email you got was from her, no matter what the signature. Nothing goes out of there unless she sends it.

There's a scene in the movie, The Exorcist, where the older priest warns the young priest how to deal with the demon. It applies here for you dealing with PA! ;)

Karras: We may ask what is relevant, but anything beyond that is dangerous. He is a liar, the demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack us. The attack is psychological, Damien. And powerful. So don't listen, remember that, do not listen.

Don't listen to them, just keep repeating your request until they get bored and decide to shed you.

I expect an immediate apology!
Exorcist1.jpg

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I love how they say the deal is for authors who 'choose' to have books on hand. Again, if I chose to send my book to Sandy Bullock (or her agent) I would look up the address and DO IT MYSELF. I would only be out the price of shipping (media mail is SO CHEAP) and maybe ONE copy.

But I wouldn't do that, because I know she wouldn't read it. Now, I have friends who have their own PRODUCTION company. That's a much better bet.

(currently they're shooting something in Atlanta. I have talked with them about my books, but making fantasy is amazingly expensive, and they're just starting out.)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
They're bargaining on newbies believing the book will carry weight with Sandra Bullock if it comes directly from "the nation's #1 publisher".

I notice that this time it's just one book (which can't be sent to anyone except Bullock?) and the minimum number-to-buy is now 6. Though the discount on them is only 25% to make up for that.

And the line, "In the Ordering Instructions field, you may write a note for Sandra if you want"? For a moment I misread "Sandra" as "Santa".

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I'm surprised PA hasn't set up its own production company under a name similar to a real production company so it can make book trailers. Also, they could produce one short film and give it a famous title (remember, titles can't be copyrighted) and then offer to send their authors' books to their production company. Solves a lot of problems for them. Heck, they even avoid postage so they get to keep all the money.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
That's too much like real work, Dave.

The Stooges are the laziest gits on the planet, doing as little as possible for as much money as they can grab.

Witness their blinding efficiency at not answering phone calls from their own writers.

PA Lurkers
--when I need to chat with any of my publishers they ALWAYS get back to my emails or calls within hours, often minutes.

They're way busy, far more busy than any of the PA Stooges, but that's what real business professionals DO.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Even if it were a legitimate deal, it still makes no sense as the author to do it. The whole premise is stupid. Could you imagine if PA really sent her, let's say 1,000 different books? Now that would be funny. Oh Sandra, pick me! Pick me! If she even got them and if she even went through them, the odds of her picking yours would be slim. The whole thing just sickens me.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
. And the line, "In the Ordering Instructions field, you may write a note for Sandra if you want"? For a moment I misread "Sandra" as "Santa".

You probably have to buy at least 20 copies for 5 to be sent to the North Pole for Santa to distribute in random stockings at random houses next Christmas eve. . . .

Areallia

Registered
Reaction score
My Publish America story/ warning
This is my story, and many other people have a very similar story.
1. Yes there are many discrepancies between the Publish America web site advertising and the actual contract.
2. Breaches of contract.
A. My official book date release was supposed to be August 22 2009, and was not made somewhat available until the end of September, and even now it is still not available where it should be (i.e. Amazon.com, chapters.com).
B. Was told that if I bought a certain amount of copies of my book then I would get the royalties from that sale. I wasn’t given any.
C. Publish America in their contract stated that they would issue a press release-that was never done.
D. I was also told that my book would be available for my local book store to order and as of today my local book store am still unable to order copies.
E. was also told that I would receive 8 % in royalties in February and August of each year for copies sold. I have receipts from family and friends who bought the book through the Publish America website, yet I just received a statement informing me that I have sold 0 copies of my book.
3. No my book did not make it to Barnes & Noble book stores.
4. No the shoddy editing was not accepted. I paid $50.00 to fix the errors that they made and the book still is full of them.
5. The overall presentation of my book wasn’t too bad, but I was asked what I would like to see the cover look like after I told them they gave me something totally different then what I wanted.
6. Yes customer / author services are extremely unsatisfactorily. I am still waiting almost a year for answers to questions.
7. My book is very over priced.
8. My book is very under marketed.
9/10. My royalties also have been extremely unreported. I know for a fact that my book has sold at least 50 copies to family and friends through there website, yet Publish America states that 0 copies have been sold.
11. Sales statistic’s on my book are not accessible to me, because the whole sellers of Baker & Taylor along with Ingram still don’t have copies of the book and there for are not being sold. All the books that were purchased by family and friends were done so through Publish America’s website.
12. As far as I know my book is not for sale or advertised under a different name.
13. The only e-mail’s I ever receive from Publish America are one’s in which they are trying to sell me copies of my own book. And yes I feel very pressured to by copies. If I buy (X) amount of copies then that same amount would be donated to my local schools, library’s, and book stores. The latest deal was they would send a copy to Stephen King.

14. Yes I was asked to provide Publish America with a list of people to announce the release of my book to, but they didn’t follow through and nobody received a single e-mail.

15. I am right now trying to break my contract with Publish America and to get my rights back.

16. I have not found the publishing credit’s to be attributed to anyone besides Publish America.

All I want is for my contract to be null and void and to get the rights back for my book along with monies owed to me. I just want to start over, am open to suggestion’s and or advice anyone might be able to give me.

My pen name is Kimberly MacEachern. My e-mail is [email protected], and the name of the book that I had published with Publish America is a children’s fantasy book called
Tales from Areallia: The Keeper’s.

find me on facebook become fans of wriitings done by Kimberly MacEachern
or at http://www.fanstory.com/kimmymac

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
My pen name is Kimberly MacEachern. My e-mail is [email protected], and the name of the book that I had published with Publish America is a children’s fantasy book called
Tales from Areallia: The Keeper’[/url]

I found your book on Amazon, but no where else. It will probably show up at other on-line stores in a day or two, whenever someone at PA decides to push the right buttons. You need to go back and read your contract carefully. If it is like mine, it alludes to placing the store in B&N, etc., but it does not mean the book will be shelved, it will be available for on-line order through the store and may be picked up at the store or delivered to address specified.

It takes a while for most PA authors to grasp what they've bought into. PA wants you, the author, to buy the book. When the author buys her own book, they don't usually pay royalties on that purchase unless it is part of a special deal that happens infrequently. They don't like bookkeeping and paying royalties. But they want you to buy your book and resell it, give it away, or whatever.

They like to play on the author's vanity, put the book on-line with no promotion where it won't sell, but most of us with our egos and vanity unchecked, when we see our book on-line, think we're running with the big dogs. And PA plays to our vanity as well as anyone.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
You probably have to buy at least 20 copies for 5 to be sent to the North Pole for Santa to distribute in random stockings at random houses next Christmas eve. . . .

Your Book Delivered to a Random House?‏
From: PublishAmerica Author Support Team ([email protected])
Sent: 12/24/10 11:35 AM
To: [Redacted]
Dear Author: Santa will deliver your book to a Random House!
Every year at Christmas time the Jolly Old Elf carries presents to Good Boys and Girls from Sea to Shining Sea and across the Fruited Plain. We’re giving your book to the world’s most beloved holiday character so he'll get a chance to read it and deliver it to someone really good!

Every writer dreams about sugarplums. Once they have dreamed that we'll live up to the spirit of our contract, as you have, many dream of the next step up: to have their book dropped off at a Random House. Santa Claus is one of the most prestigious holiday names. His extensive operation a few degrees of latitude north of our own headquarters makes us virtual neighbors.

We will submit not one, but up to five copies of your book to Santa Claus's little helpers, so that they can put them in the Christmas Stockings (thus having your book stocked, just like you want) of good boys and girls. They may do anything they choose with the books, including lighting the Yule Log. We will alert you immediately if Santa shows interest. Since PublishAmerica is not affiliated with Santa Claus or the Spirit of Christmas in any way, shape, or form, we would totally share in your open-mouthed astonishment.

Here’s how we do it:

If you want to have books on hand, order now, and we will donate up to five copies to Santa Claus. And you receive a 50 pct discount!

Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your book, click on it, then add to cart, indicate quantity, and use this coupon: Santa50. Then click Recalculate and finish the transaction. Minimum volume is 10 copies.

By using the coupon you are authorizing us to donate the books to Santa Claus. You may also request that we ship five FREE books to you instead.

Full-color and hardcovers excluded. Offer expires on Christmas Eve.

Thank you,
PublishAmerica Author Support Team

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
TLBlack, that one is just takes the cake! Sandra Bullock? Oh yeah, she stared in a movie that was based on a BOOK, well there you have it, makes of sense to me now:)

I've been contributing to a PA thread here....

http://authorenablers.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/the-pros-and-cons-of-publish-america/#comment-618

I'm not that knowledgeble and am trying to be "gentle" so as not to rial (not my usual style sadly:) and if anyone else feels like adding something to it feel free.

I AM going to probably mention this newest scam/sales pitch in a next post. It's just toooo good to pass up!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If PA can't even get books into their authors' hands, what in the #$@^ makes them think they can get something passed Sandra Bullock's "people" and into her hands?

Maybe she and Tom Hanks can compare notes.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
ctripp said:
I've been contributing to a PA thread here....

I glanced through that thread but stopped reading when I came to this comment by a PA loyalist:

I saw a comment by one writer who scoffed at PA and boasted that she got $25,000. for her advance with a different publisher. My immediate thought was, “If you are an established writer and are with a publisher who pays substantial advances and you only got $25,000. they must not think much of your work."

Perhaps that author's next royalty check will buy some sugar to sweeten those grapes.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
[delurking to be totally freaked out]

I glanced through that thread but stopped reading when I came to this comment by a PA loyalist:

I saw a comment by one writer who scoffed at PA and boasted that she got $25,000. for her advance with a different publisher. My immediate thought was, “If you are an established writer and are with a publisher who pays substantial advances and you only got $25,000. they must not think much of your work."

Perhaps that author's next royalty check will buy some sugar to sweeten those grapes.

Sweet cartwheeling Jesus. That is an entirely new depth of cluelessness/sour grapes. If it is just sour grapes, I'm... just... wow.

[relurking]

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Well, why make $25 G's when you can spend only half that and own enough boxes of your own books to make a couch, chairs, dinning table, end tables and a bed, lawn furniture, the possibilities are endless:)