The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Thanks for the help CatSlave but I am speaking of that same site you linked to and having the same sort of problem Marian has mentioned. I have started a post in the past on that site and can reply but then, once in a while, get a message that says I can not post. Hum, has to just be a problem on FB. Can't help getting a little paranoid though, when it comes to PA.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://editorialanonymous.blogspot.com/2010/06/high-ho-sparkles-away.html

Today's post on Editorial Anonymous:

The question:

The question that I have is about query letters. I know that you need to put in any published work that you have. My question is, what really counts as a published work. My first novel "Redacted" was published by PublishAmerica. I have know come to realize that I got caught up in a trap. So should i mention that in my letters to agents. Or should I just not mention it? It is hard enough trying to get a foot in the door, I don't want to do anything to hurt my chances farther.

The answer:
Look, you wouldn't put your career as a unicorn trainer on your resume, would you? Even if the High Unicorn Shaman had conferred the title on you? Even if you'd paid a lot for the harness and horn polish?

Self publishing is imaginary publishing. It's as much a career credit as that time you traded your cow for those "magic" "beans".

Don't mention it.

I'd argue that vanity publishing is imaginary publishing, but the point stands.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
OUCH! However, sometimes the truth needs to go down straight. I agree with Cyia, there is a distinction between legit self-pubbing (ie, your own imprint) and a vanity press, but still the point is well, if bluntly, put.

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
There's a distinction between stocking a book on consignment, and hosting a book signing on consignment. The latter the store will sometimes do as a favour to the author, so long as the author takes the books away when the event is over.

Since this is PA, we're talking about a hyooooge maybe on the bookstore accepting the books even on consignment.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
There's a distinction between stocking a book on consignment, and hosting a book signing on consignment. The latter the store will sometimes do as a favour to the author, so long as the author takes the books away when the event is over.

As many PA authors customers have learned to their dismay, most chain bookstores won't even do that for PA books.

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
As many PA authors customers have learned to their dismay, most chain bookstores won't even do that for PA books.

And that is soooo much a part of the scam. Midlist authors with reputable publishers are battling like crazy in these economic times to get any type of shelf space.

But lo and behold, PA will get you shelf space. (Snort)

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
Introduction

Willem Meiners

I've sold stories all my life; first as a newspaper editor, then as a book publisher. I have always assumed that everyone around me could read. Until I went to prison [...download the entire text, click Add To Cart]

What a great final line. Wow, if it took prison for him to realize not everyone can read I am surprised this man could write a book let alone an essay. Christ, do these people ever stop and look at what they write or say. Everyone in PA is completely living in the Twilight Zone!

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Willem went to prison? What for? Anyone know?

Oh, I think someone just cut off the sentence at a provocative point to get people to download the book. Went with a prison ministry, perhaps. That seems most likely.

I have a relative who is in and out of prison on a regular basis - as a contractor. He goes a couple of times a month. It's a running joke in the family: "'He's off to prison again..."

I have a feeling that if he actually served time in prison someone here would have ferreted that out.

LexiCan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm posting this partly because it's such a weird offer (I'm sure B&N will be so thrilled) and partly because this is the first email I've received from PA with the promised book ad tagged on the end.

Dear Author:

The 2010 PublishAmerica Booksellers Award goes to

Barnes and Noble.

PublishAmerica honors the nation's number one bookstore for its excellence in bookselling. Barnes and Noble not only maintain almost 800 bookstores, but also serve the population of colleges and universities with more than 600 college bookstores.

The Award will be presented to Barnes and Noble next month. It includes a framed Certificate of Author Support and a donation to Barnes and Noble's literacy contributions program.

How do you join in the award presentation?

Add your name and book title to the Certificate and let Barnes and Noble know that you support their bookselling. If you need books on hand anyway, go to www.publishamerica.net, and use this discount coupon: BarnesAward. Your name and book title will then automatically appear on the Certificate that's part of the award presentation. There's no minimum order volume!

In the Ordering Instructions box you may write a congrats note for Barnes and Noble.

This year's PublishAmerica Awards are presented to booksellers, media, writers, and individuals who have distinguished themselves in the arts.

---------------------
Advertisement: PublishAmerica proudly recommends "The Opera Ghost Lives" by Ann M. Kraft: what happens when an angel turns skeptical? Buy it here: http://www.publishamerica.net/product92707.html.
---------------------

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
*boggle*

What is this supposed to do for the writers?

It's not as though, when they try to get B&N to shelve their overpriced unavailable books, the manager is going to look up at his copy of the framed certificate, run a finger down the list of names and say, "By George, you signed our 2010 PublishAmerica Booksellers Award! We'll order a hundred copies!"

quagsire440

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure that B+N will be thrilled to receive the award. ETA: If it actually gets sent.

Last edited:

LexiCan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ya gotta wonder if they've hired someone to sit around and think this crap up.

I'm pretty sure that what the stooges consider their main job.

Last edited:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
^ Exactly. Almost explains why they never got anything published by a legit publisher, doesn't it...

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This year's PublishAmerica Awards are presented to booksellers, media, writers, and individuals who have distinguished themselves in the arts.

Hey, Miranda!

Want to show how gutsy you are? Send an award to AW! We're a medium, we qualify. Or award one to me! I am standing by, ready to be honored!

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
Hey, Miranda!

Want to show how gutsy you are? Send an award to AW! We're a medium, we qualify. Or award one to me! I am standing by, ready to be honored!

OMG, I'm trying to imagine that,

::trying::

::trying::

KA-POP!

Oh cwap, my head exploded . . .

I hate it when that happens.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I only post occasionally on these threads but...

Do they seriously send out new email offers like every other day?