Publish America's Carousel of Magically Rotating Email Offers

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Latest offer

I'll start posting the entire emails in the posts, and providing the summaries in the OP, since some people have said they'd like to see the entire offer.

Dear author:

For more than a year we have enabled authors to purchase many books at a very low price. These so-called Buy-1-Get-X sales are very popular, especially because we never charge shipping for the "Get-X" part.

Today we discontinue these high-volume Buy-1-Get-X sales. PublishAmerica is now listing its books at such a variety of low prices that both authors and consumers have more attractive options to choose from than ever before.

This is the absolutely final Buy-1-Get-X sale. If you want a whole stack of softcovers for the price of one, this is your absolutely final opportunity.

Final opportunity, this will never come back again: Buy 8 softcovers, get 40!

If you order 8 books, we will print and ship 40. Of these books, 32 are absolutely free. We even ship the free softcovers for free. Offer expires Friday.

Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your softcover, use this coupon: Final8. Use it on your softcover only. Some smarty-pants customers try to beat the system by using these coupons on PAperbacks or Bargain Hardbacks, but such orders will not be processed under this coupon, so you're wasting your money if you try. Minimum order volume today is 8 softcovers. It buys you 32 free softcovers!

Note that the free books will not show in your cart, but your use of the Final8 coupon automatically triggers their free production and free shipping.

Hardcovers, PAperbacks, Bargain Hardbacks, and fullcolor books are excluded; no free shipping outside USA. By using the Final8 coupon you authorize PublishAmerica to qualify this special sales offer as a discount sale.

Thank you.
--PublishAmerica Bookstore

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by PA
Some smarty-pants customers try to beat the system

Bolding mine, aren't these special deals exclusive to PAuthors? That's really a pretty substantial admission ... isn't one of the reasons that angry authors were having difficulty getting help from some organizations the fact that they were not considered customers?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Only PA has to qualify final with absolutely final. What's next, absolutely positively without-a-doubt final? Cross my heart and hope to die final? We swear on our dead mothers' graves final?

Last edited:

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
Ummm . . . at $3.99 per book for the first 8 copies, that's still around $32.00 shipping. I run a mail-order business and I plugged in some mythical orders of 40 books. Shipping to the farthest reaches of the country came to a dead bang max of $29.00 for a 70-pound order and $17.00 for a more typical 40-pound order (since the typical PA book is less than 100-pages). So, PA ain't hurting on its "free" shipping deal.

So, using the typical PA price of $24.99 per book, with shipping, those 48 books cost the PAer $231.84 or $4.83 each. That is assuming all 48 arrive in sellable condition, PA is notorious for bad packing, bad packing materials and damaged merch.

Now, that may seem like a good deal, but they have to pay the entire $231.84 up front and then try and recoup it with sales. Since the average PA book sells 75 copies over its lifetime, how long will it take to get rid of 48. Of course, the writer could sell them for $6.99 and make a whomping $100 off the deal and pay all of their expenses for the sale.

However, how many PA non-cluebies do you think are taking advantage of this fer-special offer AND chiding themselves for complaining and thus making Mother-PA discontinue the "so-called" (odd choice of words) fer-special offers.

The mind. It boggles.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Buy 8, get 40" will probably never be back again. "Buy 5, get 25" might be, buy "10, get 25" might be, and so forth.

The "last ever" 60% off was immediately replaced by 50% off (buy one, get one free) on orders of 20 or more. Typical PA half lies and weasel words.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By using the Final8coupon you authorize PublishAmerica to qualify this special sales offer as a discount sale.

That shows up once in a while; it's not in every email. I can't begin to think what that means in legalese. PA needs our permission to offer a "discount sale"? Any thoughts?

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
That shows up once in a while; it's not in every email. I can't begin to think what that means in legalese. PA needs our permission to offer a "discount sale"? Any thoughts?

The first thing that comes to mind is that PAuthors likely don't receive royalties on "discount sales".

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
A friend alerted me to PA's most recent e-mail about increasing PA softcover books by $5 across the board.

Good morning:

PublishAmerica announces a sharp increase of all softcover list prices.

This is due to recent market conditions. Softcover prices will increase by an average $5 across the board. The price increase will take effect after this week.

PublishAmerica's PAperbacks and Bargain Hardbacks are not affected by the price increase.

PublishAmerica recently introduced superlow-priced alternatives to all softcover books: http://www.publishamerica.net/PAperback.htm.

By alerting you to the softcover price increase ahead of time, you are given a final opportunity to stock up on current-priced softcovers before the price hike becomes effective. We are also giving you one more opportunity to activate your book's PAperback print version, if you have not done so yet. Softcovers and PAperbacks are available side by side.

Note that there will be a $20 price difference between most softcovers ($29.95) and PAperbacks ($9.95).

Go to www.publishamerica.net, use this coupon: FinalLow, and obtain a 50 pct discount on your purchase. Use it on your softcover only. All non-softcover orders under this coupon will not be processed, so you'll be wasting your money if you try. Minimum order volume is 9 softcovers. Offer expires Sunday. This order typically ships within 2 business days.

By using the FinalLow coupon on your softcover order you will automatically activate your book's PAperback version if you had not already done so. Your new PAperback will show in our online bookstore within 48 business hours for ordering worldwide. Your purchase also gives you the 50 pct discount off the current list price of your softcover before next week's price increase takes effect.

Also still available this week before the price goes up: our Buy-8-Get-40 offer, use Final8 coupon. See yesterday's email. All other coupons have expired.

Thank you.

As an aside, notice that they are not calling their "special offers" special offers any more. Now they are using the word coupon. So, no more "special offers," but they will have coupons. Um... isn't a coupon a "special offer"?

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Note that there will be a $20 price difference between most softcovers ($29.95) and PAperbacks ($9.95).

How can their authors victims see crap like this and not finally get it? :Headbang:

I think we'll need to put on yet more popcorn. I sure hope this is the final straw for some folks and that they make their way over here.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By using the FinalLow coupon on your softcover order you will automatically activate your book's PAperback version if you had not already done so.

Okay, we're caught in a PA loop here. Softcovers go up in price, but if you BUY NOW your PAperback will be activated at the $9.95 price. I suppose that's a bone thrown to those still willing to buy. PA knows full well that it doesn't matter one bit what they charge for those authors that don't buy. They're after a certain segment of their authors.

Terie: I think PA wants them to see it, panic, and make a run on the softcovers. Activating the PAperbacks (they're hoping) will get authors to buy more copies later on.

Wouldn't "48 business hours" be six business days, therefore 8 calendar days?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
A friend alerted me to PA's most recent e-mail about increasing PA softcover books by $5 across the board.

Wow.

So basically the e-mail says, "Shell out the cash NOW, or we'll overprice your book even more than before!"

I really really hope this opens the eyes of some of PA's authors. They should not be ATMs for these people.

This is due to recent market conditions.

Then why can I get a 400-500 page trade paperback FROM A REAL PUBLISHER at B&N or Borders for 15 bucks?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Terie: I think PA wants them to see it, panic, and make a run on the softcovers. Activating the PAperbacks (they're hoping) will get authors to buy more copies later on.

Oh, I know why PA is doing it. What I have a hard time getting my head around is people not seeing through it.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Yup - things have started to stir over at the PA boards. Saw a few posts deleted already today from authors who were starting to question the latest emails. I was able to get into contact with one woman author who was pretty discouraged, before her post was deleted, which I'm sure it will be any time now. Tried to offer some encouragement, but it's hard when saying, "Yep, you got it, PA really isn't what you thought it was."

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Oh, I know why PA is doing it. What I have a hard time getting my head around is people not seeing through it.
:eek: I know - that's what boggles my mind as well. I've told outsiders about these things and they're like, "Why can't those authors SEE how ridiculous these things are?!" My answer: "I have no idea."

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I was able to get into contact with one woman author who was pretty discouraged, before her post was deleted, which I'm sure it will be any time now.

I've been in touch with another author who was banned after she asked about her book's cover being duplicated on another book. I mentioned PA's offer to return rights for $49 and she asked for the link, so maybe that will help.

Provided the authors don't mind spending the money - and provided PA actually follows through, which is never a given - that might lessen some of the blow, if they know their books aren't necessarily doomed by PA.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
that might lessen some of the blow, if they know their books aren't necessarily doomed by PA.

Yeah, a gentleman just implied he wasn't an author any longer because of PA. I felt so badly for him! Thankfully there was a link to his site where I could send him a message. My goodness, lots of unhappiness is popping up on those PA boards today. Now that I'm actually looking frequently, it's pretty mind-boggling.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it all comes back to Author: RPG. CreateSpace is clearly self-publishing. PA lets authors pretend they are with a large commercial press.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
I think it all comes back to Author: RPG. CreateSpace is clearly self-publishing. PA lets authors pretend they are with a large commercial press.

Yep. Until I realized differently, I thought that being a self-published author was something to be embarrassed about. Now I'm more embarrassed about being a PA author than being self-published with one of my other books!

Back when I first submitted to PA, I lacked the knowledge or skills I have today. Today, I can create my entire book from cover to cover, including the cover itself and submit to any printing press I want to and market it all by myself. If I want some help marketing it, there's a plethora of options out there, including CreateSpace and Lulu. I just didn't think I could do it before. Now I know I can. And now I know that it's nothing to be ashamed of to say that I'm a self-published author. Go me! lol

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
I'll take a crack at it! It's been a while.

PublishAmerica announces a sharp increase of all softcover list prices.
Prices which are different from the PAperbacks because those writers have knuckled under and bought the minimum number of books.

This is due to recent market conditions
Since the authors are the market, these "market conditions" are due to only 3% of writers seeing the light and ordering the minimum number of books to activate the PAperback. Also, we need to pay our lawyer in Tennessee.

Softcover prices will increase by an average $5 across the board. The price increase will take effect after this week.
Maybe . . . unless still not enough writers see the error of their ways and buy their own damn books!

PublishAmerica's PAperbacks and Bargain Hardbacks are not affected by the price increase.
Today . . .

PublishAmerica recently introduced superlow-priced alternatives to all softcover books: [URL="http://www.publishamerica.net/PAperback.htm."]http://www.publishamerica.net/PAperback.htm[/URL].
Only if you drank the purple kool-aid and bought your own books! Are you seeing a theme here? Are you with me? ("Superlow"[sic]??? I just bought a brand new minty fresh copy of a highly anticipated book by a very successful writer for $6.99.)

By alerting you to the softcover price increase ahead of time, you are given a final opportunity to stock up on current-priced softcovers before the price hike becomes effective.
We're taking yet another shot at scaring you into buying your own books.

We are also giving you one more opportunity to activate your book's PAperback print version, if you have not done so yet.
Otherwise we're going to price your overpriced book to the point where even your mom will have to take a pass.

Softcovers and PAperbacks are available side by side.
That's because they are the same freaking book.

Hey, you made us do it. You have no one to blame but yourself.

www.publishamerica.net, use this coupon: FinalLow, and obtain a 50 pct discount on your purchase. Use it on your softcover only.
As opposed to the other "final" offers we've made, we mean it this time*

*until next time

All non-softcover orders under this coupon will not be processed, so you'll be wasting your money if you try. Minimum order volume is 9 softcovers. Offer expires Sunday.
But, if you try, we'll get around to crediting your credit card, someday . . . (smartypants!)

This order typically ships within 2 business days.
If you had ordered it from Amazon. However, PA has always prided itself on not being typical!

By using the FinalLow coupon on your softcover order you will automatically activate your book's PAperback version if you had not already done so. Your new PAperback will show in our online bookstore within 48 business hours for ordering worldwide. Your purchase also gives you the 50 pct discount off the current list price of your softcover before next week's price increase takes effect.
So, basically, this is the same offer as last week. Except you didn't listen to us last week and now we're going to get tough with you. Hey, like we said, you have no one but yourself to blame.

Also still available this week before the price goes up: our Buy-8-Get-40 offer, use Final8 coupon. See yesterday's email.
However, if you deleted yesterday's email, don't worry, there will be another one tomorrow!

All other coupons have expired.
But, like rotten meat, the smell will linger for a long time.

Thank you.

Selling books back to writers since 2000!

Last edited: