• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Naughty Nights Press

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
This. When people come in and claim we are hating and wanting others to fail it boggles me. These lovely people spend hours of time they could be spending on their jobs to help and warn writers about how to spot a potential disaster.

We WANT publishers to succeed, because it gives us more places to sell to. We don't do this out of some... urge to crush dreams. We do it to protect people.

I honestly don't know how the regulars do it all the time.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
PhoenixJohnson:
Asking questions of NNP and others is fine. But why the need to pick apart everything and bash on it?

I'm so glad that we've established that it's okay for us to ask questions because from the tone of some of the NNP authors who've come here, you'd think it was completely outrageous for us to do so.

As regards picking things apart, it's called "analysis and it's being done on the basis of the information presented. If you've got information that counters some of the opinions being offered here, then by all means (and for the umpteenth time of asking) let us have it.

hoenixJohnson:
Most publishers don't list bio's on their sites. For privacy reasons.

I can actually understand why an erotica publisher may wish to keep their details private if it's not their main job and they're concerned about it impacting on their other life. But it's certainly not the case that "most" publishers conceal their details for privacy reasons because (as has been said before) knowing who is behind a publisher and what their experience is goes to the publisher's credibility.

PhoenixJohnson:
And as for the figures, that's up to the authors to divulge, as it's their business. But like I said earlier, from what I have seen from the authors already published, they are thrilled with their numbers.

Well, a publisher can equally divulge ball park figures if it so wishes and after 6 months of trading, Naughty Nights should be able to do that.

It's all very well saying that you know people who are "thrilled" with their numbers but that tells us nothing. I know people who've been thrilled to sell 100 books over 3 months, but if you're objectively looking to make some money then 100 books isn't high and it suggests that there's something lacking in promotion and distribution.

PhoenixJohnson:
You're all saying about the immaturity of that blog post in response to this, and yet here there are many comments griping and whining. How is that more mature?

I'm amazed that you're even raising that as an argument.

Someone who holds themselves out as a spokesman for a company needs to act with professionalism and communicate effectively - particularly if that person is holding themselves out as the Director of Marketing. Again, it goes straight to the company's credibility because that person is the 'face' of the company.

As regards the behaviour of people on these boards, in all honesty most of the posts here have been perfectly reasonable. You might not like what's being said and you might not like the questions being asked, but no one is saying anything outrageous or immature here - on the contrary, the questions asked and issues raised are highly pertinent. If anything, it may be said that the most immature responses have come from NNP's own authors.

PhoenixJohnson:
Websites are constantly changing, and the staff at NNP are all extremely busy. Gina has said she is planning to get to it, and she will. Everything takes time to work out kinks.

Again, the website is the first port of call for most people looking at a publisher. A poor website with grammatical errors and missing information doesn't inspire confidence. In the 21st century, the website should look professional from day 1.

PhoenixJohnson:
How about you quit complaining about little things like that and just reserve judgement for time when NNP has had more time to smooth any wrinkles and prove themselves? If you don't want to submit just yet, that's your prerogative. There are many people who are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you want to stick with large, established press's that's your choice. Give NNP time to prove our points. Enough with the picking and niggling. I'm sure that's not what this post was for.
Everyone involved with NNP is going to do our best to make sure that it doesn't go the way of other starter presses, but thrive and grow in to something fabulous. We're happy to be involved with them, and as I've said a few times in this post, if you don't want to be part of it, that's your choice. Just don't rag out on NNP just because you don't want to go with them. Give it time.

I think a lot of people here (myself included) have said that authors would do best to see whether NNP is still around in 2 years time and if so, what the sales figures and royalties are like there.

Personally, I genuinely hope that NNP does make a go of it and comes good but I have seen so many people like you who talk about giving publishers a chance where those publishers start out with precisely the same issues as NNP and 99% of the time it doesn't go well.

It's telling that despite everything that's been pointed out here - all perfectly legitimate points - you are dead set on viewing the same as "ragging" on NNP. It isn't. It's simply good business and as an author, you are a business person and you need to make sure that you are protecting your interests.

If you want to ignore everything that's being said here then that's entirely up to you. However you don't get to tell anyone here that they shouldn't say it to other authors who may be thinking about NNP.

PhoenixJohnson:
I have seen some of their numbers, but like I said, that's up to the authors to divulge. But I will say it exceeds ten in a month. Not by just a couple sales, but by quite a few sales.

Okay then. We've established that some NNP authors have sold more than 10 books a month. Finally, some progress.

Penny Peterssen:
As I am the person who has caused a lot of upset with my blog, I would just like to state here and now, that what I write on my blog is my opinion, just as what everyone writes on this forum is theirs and as such should be respected in the same vein.

You wrote that blog speaking in your capacity as director of marketing. As such, it is entirely reasonable for people here to assume that you are speaking on behalf of the company.

Penny Peterssen:
In regards to my typo's and grammatical errors, forgive me for being human and writing at an extremely late hour. But before you start pointing out my mistakes, might I also say that are some posts on here that are not 100% free of typo's and have errors but to point them out is just being petty.

Again, you wrote your blog in your capacity as director of marketing for the company not as a private person expressing their opinion on a message board. There's a difference between a corporate communication from someone who identifies themselves as being an officer of a company and a private individual making remarks on a board.

If you can't get your head around that, then maybe you're in the wrong job.

Penny Peterssen:
If you will all be patient, I will be posting a short statement that hopefully will answer the concerns that you all have regarding Naughty Nights Press, that will have owner approval and I am hoping that it will help to end this discussion and nit-picking of things that have gone beyond the original question.

Here's some free advice: you should have issued the statement first and not made a blog post about it. That would have been the professional thing to do and it would probably have drawn a line under this. By making your blog post, you've added fuel to the fire.

Penny Peterssen:
I would like to apologize to Silver-Midnight, I did not mean to offend you. I just could not understand how selling books through Amazon, Smashwords and All Romance could be considered a red flag. But I will address the reasoning behind why we chose these places over others soon.

It's cool that you're apologising but I'd have to question your statement that you had no intention of offending her. The whole purpose of your blog post was to ridicule and belittle her for asking questions. Again, it's not professional.

I look forward to reading the statement with bated breath.

MM

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Just wanted to jump in here and point out that actually some publishers DO put bio information up on their sites.

Like Penguin.

Here's their Dutton (one of their many imprints) page - note the bios at the end?

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/publishers/adult/dutton.html

Also, I was one of those authors who was published rather well with her very first outing. I had no connections and no credits. Just a book. So a publisher that holds up as a founding principle the notion of giving authors a chance because everyone has to start out at the bottom and work their way up, well to me that shows a lack of publishing industry experience.

And lastly, there is a vast difference between posting on a forum, and writing a blog as the head of marketing for a company. My public persona vs private are quite different, and even though there are times I'd really like to just say it like it is, I resist. Because as an author I am a professional person who represents not only herself but the companies that publish her.

ETA: also, just read the marketing woman's follow up response to this thread's response to her intial post and I'm floored. Clearly this is not a professional person and of all the red flags, to me placing the marketing of one's work in this person's hands . . . concerns me to say the least.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
ETA: also, just read the marketing woman's follow up response to this thread's response to her intial post and I'm floored. Clearly this is not a professional person and of all the red flags, to me placing the marketing of one's work in this person's hands . . . concerns me to say the least.

I believe that would be this post:

http://vampiriquedezireauthor.blogspot.com/2011/12/now-who-has-been-very-bad-girl.html

If this woman represents the company that pays her a salary so ineptly, what kind of job would she do for one's book?

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
:eek: Is she for real?! I don't know who the publisher is at NNP, but she needs to take a page from the Chrissy Brashear playbook and nip this sh*t in the bud, like, right now.*

Spank her ass? Does she really think that playful, overly sexual tone is proper when she's representing a company? If funds are being used to pay for this kind of PR, they'd be better off sinking them into a top-rate web designer for a site upgrade and a formatter to upload their books to B&N.

*A few months back, an editor posted a poorly worded blog post on the official Samhain blog. The second the first complaint reached her, the blog was pulled down and apologies were sent round the author loops. It was dealt with quickly and efficiently and properly.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I just read the blog and posts in question. Oh dear ghu. Methinks it's time for this photo:

500px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Spank her ass? Does she really think that playful, overly sexual tone is proper when she's representing a company?

It does appear to be the woman's personal blog, and it is erotica-oriented, as is NNP itself.

Where things go sour is her apparent lack of awareness of the impropriety of mixing one's job with one's personal blog. At the company I work for, we aren't allowed to mix business and personal in our social networking.

The fact that a director of marketing (of all things!) doesn't understand the importance of keeping business and personal separate speaks volumes about her professionalism.....and not in a good way.

ETA: Since the blog is now gone, I thought it would be a good idea to post supporting evidence that it was someone who stated she is NNP's Director of Marketing:

NNP01.gif

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Ahah. Not ten minutes after I last checked, the blog in question has disappeared. Perhaps the management at NNP is finally getting its act together. This would be a Good Thing.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just clicked on the link to the blog in Terie's post. The blog has been removed.

I don't suppose anybody saved the content?

Maryn

Edit: Cross-posted with eqb

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Penny Peterssen's Blog:
Well as a lot of you are aware I posted some opinions about a forum group and things that were being said yesterday.

It seems my opinions were considered unprofessional, amateurish, and well yeah, you are getting the picture. I won't even go into the whole of what they thought of my spelling and grammar on here. So I post late at night, when I am not always with it. Not everyone is perfect.

But seriously folks, who is going to be the one to bend me over and spank my bare ass, until I am screaming out for more? *giggles*

Sweetie, I wouldn't touch you or NNP with a foot long pole and a bath full of bleach.

If this is the "short statement" that you were talking about in your post here, then it paints an even blacker picture of NNP and their professionalism.

You seem to think that this is funny or that we are somehow mean for pointing out that you are, to be honest, rather shit at your job. It isn't and we aren't.

You call yourself "Personal Executive Assistant and Director of Marketing and Research for Naughty Nights Press" in your 28th December blog entry. That right there is an indication that you are speaking in that capacity, which means that you can't later on pass off your puerile and poorly written comments as being personal.

Penny Peterssen's Blog:
So okay, I let that one go but did this person contact us at NNP at all to ask for further information about our publishing company? NO!
I am also wondering if they even bothered to read our FAQ's. But still I can't say if they did or not as they did not bother to contact NNP about it.

If you want to counter incorrect information about your company or make it clear what NNP is about, rather than bitch about how we should go to you, you could equally post here with correct information and answers to questions. Whining about it on your blog isn't clever.

Penny Peterssen's Blog:
As for experience in publishing, yes the owner has had experience and she is damn good at her job. But show me an e-pub on here that is not a large house and how many of them are writers as well as publishers, not to mention editors.

That whole "other e-pubs do it so we do too" thing isn't an argument. Yes, there are a lot of start-ups that have writers and editors but most of those start-ups have writers and editors whose only experience is, at best, through self-publishing. That hardly qualifies them to edit or publish other people's work.

As a concept that isn't difficult to grasp and yet you and many of the other NNP authors who've posted here obstinately refuse to do so.

Penny Peterssen's Blog:
For crying out loud people, who better to publish your book with than people who know the ropes?

You're right, you should get your book published with people who know the ropes, not people who are learning the ropes as they publish your book. It's a subtle distinction but nevertheless an important one.

Penny Peterssen's Blog:
People may look upon us as a flash-in-the-pan company. I assure you we are not. We will be around for a very long time and nothing nor no-one will change this.

If I had a quid for every new start-up that made this promise, I'd have a couple of hundred quid by now.

Penny Peterssen's Blog:
We have been very fortunate to not only have writers submit to us as their very first submission and have gone on to rave reviews for their stories. We have also had submissions from established fairly well known authors who have enjoyed the service we have provided for them.

Rave reviews where? Which established authors?

Penny Peterssen's Blog:
Do you know of any other publisher who has each book cover barring probably one or two, photographed to fit requirements?

Is this a trick question or do you really have no idea how covers work? Every commercial publisher produces covers that fit with or are designed to sell the book. This does not make you a rare and special snowflake.

Penny Peterssen's Blog:
So keep on talking about us at Absolutewrite or where ever else you wish, you are making my job easier as you are spreading the word of Naughty Nights Press.

Please. The only word being spread about Naughty Nights Press is "amateur" or maybe also "bozos". Certainly, when you Google Naughty Nights Press, this thread is the second hit that turns up and believe me, love, given the responses on this thread and your behaviour, that ain't a good thing.

MM

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
eqb:
Ahah. Not ten minutes after I last checked, the blog in question has disappeared. Perhaps the management at NNP is finally getting its act together. This would be a Good Thing.

I figured it might disappear. Hence the reason why I decided to put the choicest quotes in my post above. Always best to keep these things for posterity, I think.

MM

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
In regards to my typo's and grammatical errors, forgive me for being human and writing at an extremely late hour. But before you start pointing out my mistakes, might I also say that are some posts on here that are not 100% free of typo's and have errors but to point them out is just being petty.

Thank you

The nitpicking post was me and me alone. Has nothing to do with the forum here or the other posters.

I did that as most professionals do not allow themselves to display that many errors. Especially professionals who pride themselves in supporting and selling good literature.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
As for ballpark estimate for my sales...My release is a while off

Okay, you don't have any sales with them to date, so understandably you don't have that datapoint to share.

What about your experience with your editor(s)?

I have said with other books they have sent copies to reviewers before hand, they request highly popular blogs to post up blurb, cover, snippet and other information
I read a lot of review blogs, including blogs dedicated to reviewing epublished romance and erotica, and I don't remember seeing any reviews or promotions of Naughty Nights Press titles, but I may have just missed them. Can you tell us some of the blogs that have reviewed or promoted Naughty Nights Press books? (On edit: A vigorous Googling pointed me in the direction of some reviews on top2bottomreviews, which were positive.)

Perhaps another of your Naughty Nights Press author colleagues--someone whose book(s) are already released, and who has some sales data that they feel comfortable sharing, even--might want to join you in this thread? Facts are the strongest arguments.

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
There's a certain tone to BR&BC publisher threads: good, bad, and scam. This one's definitely a bad publisher.

All you'd have to do is read half a dozen of the gray-linked threads on (non-scam) defunct publishers and compare it to this one, and you wouldn't be able to tell one from the other.

Sad thing is, I don't just suspect this publisher won't be around in two years. I'd put money down on it. And most likely, their authors will lose the books under contract with them because they won't have proper rights reversion clauses.

Unprofessional public attitude, badly-edited writing samples on their site, poor covers, refusal to answer important questions, and employees who lack basic grammar skills. I've seen it more times than I can count over the last six years. Most of those publishers are gone, and many of them disappeared in a very nasty way for the authors.

Unfortunately, some people have to piss on the fence to know it's electrified even when a dozen people before them showed them it was.

Penny Peterssen

Registered
Reaction score
There's a certain tone to BR&BC publisher threads: good, bad, and scam. This one's definitely a bad publisher.

All you'd have to do is read half a dozen of the gray-linked threads on (non-scam) defunct publishers and compare it to this one, and you wouldn't be able to tell one from the other.

Sad thing is, I don't just suspect this publisher won't be around in two years. I'd put money down on it. And most likely, their authors will lose the books under contract with them because they won't have proper rights reversion clauses.

Unprofessional public attitude, badly-edited writing samples on their site, poor covers, refusal to answer important questions, and employees who lack basic grammar skills. I've seen it more times than I can count over the last six years. Most of those publishers are gone, and many of them disappeared in a very nasty way for the authors.

Unfortunately, some people have to piss on the fence to know it's electrified even when a dozen people before them showed them it was.

Are you clairvoyant?
Because that is what you would have to be to know with such certainty that they will close.

As for everyone else...GET OFF THEIR BACK...thanks to the lot of you and the personal attacks you made upon me, I have resigned from my job.

Are you all so pure white and innocent that none of you have made mistakes?

Did you all not start somewhere and have people tell you, that you would not make it?

Sure "advise" new writers of what to be aware of but do not tell them that this publisher or that publisher is no good because they have not jumped to your imaginary whip cracking. Or even worse...don't sell their books on their website or have what you would call an acceptable website! Who along the way made the lot of you who have done nothing but "cyber bash" and no I am not pointing the finger at the ones who had asked legitimate questions, just the ones who felt it was their Goddess given right to pull apart everything and then call themselves professional.

I have resigned from my position and hope like I have never hoped before that you will now back off on the attacks and jibes at Naughty Nights Press and let them do their job. Check back on them in 2 years if you feel you must and let their results speak for themselves. But don't go placing them in the same pigeon hole as the ones who have failed. Give them a chance.

Even the biggest publishing houses had to start from the bottom of the pile.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
thanks to the lot of you and the personal attacks you made upon me, I have resigned from my job.
Penny, I think you have this backward. You have no one to thank but yourself for allowing your behavior to be anything but professional.

That was never the question. New houses who end up as successful houses learn the business in order to develop a strong business plan that will ensure solid sales. They have strong editing, a healthy bottom line, marketing, promotion, and they don't lower themselves to acting like 8th graders when asked to please explain their company. Instead, they answer people's questions because they know it's only natural to do so. You, my dear, have much to learn.

Last edited:

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
Are you clairvoyant?

I have resigned from my position and hope like I have never hoped before that you will now back off on the attacks and jibes at Naughty Nights Press and let them do their job. Check back on them in 2 years if you feel you must and let their results speak for themselves. But don't go placing them in the same pigeon hole as the ones who have failed. Give them a chance.

And those "biggest publishing houses" got to the top by being professional in all aspects of their institution.

We didn't want you to resign. Nothing about this makes us happy. It's sickening.

It's frankly sickening that our simple, logical, and often-asked questions have to be taken so defensively, unprofessionally, and destructively.

If you want to personally implode from this, that is your initiative.

No one takes an ounce of enjoyment from this. What we enjoy is helping our fellow authors. And if finding that a publisher is run by someone with the professionalism of a teenager, then we are happy to pass that fact on to a potential author or reader.

Because they deserve everything when it comes to making a fully informed decision.

You don't have to be clairvoyant to know that if fifty people jump off a cliff and break their legs, the fifty-first person probably will, too.

Quoted for truth.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
...thanks to the lot of you and the personal attacks you made upon me, I have resigned from my job.

Penny, it is indeed unfortunate that you didn't understand your job well enough to do it right. That isn't our fault, though. It was evidence of your own poor judgment and lack of professionalism that was the problem, not us. If you'd done your job properly, nothing anyone here said would've made a damn bit of difference.

Penny Peterssen

Registered
Reaction score
Penny, I think you have this backward. You have no one to thank but yourself for allowing your behavior to be anything but professional.

That was never the question. New houses who end up as successful houses learn the business in order to develop a strong business plan that will ensure solid sales. They have strong editing, a healthy bottom line, marketing, promotion, and they don't lower themselves to acting like 8th graders when asked to please explain their company. Instead, they answer people's questions because they know it's only natural to do so. You, my dear, have much to learn.

I honestly don't care what you guys think about me any more. Seriously. You have called me unprofessional, so I am unprofessional to the point that rather than cause any hurt or embarrassment to the company I worked for, I chose to resign.

Yeah really unprofessional.

Call me what you like...seriously, get all the name calling and cyber bashing out of the road...hopefully you will wear of it so the next person who makes a mistake of having an opinion that doesn't fit into whatever glorified ideal you seem to have, won't be made to feel as bad as I have.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Penny Peterssen:
As for everyone else...GET OFF THEIR BACK...thanks to the lot of you and the personal attacks you made upon me, I have resigned from my job.

I see. It's our fault that you behaved like an unprofessional asshat. Good to know that you accept absolutely no responsibility at all for your own actions.

Penny Peterssen:
Are you all so pure white and innocent that none of you have made mistakes?

Please. This isn't about making mistakes. It's about taking risks with people's manuscripts when you aren't qualified to do so.

Penny Peterssen:
Did you all not start somewhere and have people tell you, that you would not make it?

There's fighting to fulfill your dreams against naysayers and then there's being pig stubborn in the face of legitimate comments.

Penny Peterssen:
Sure "advise" new writers of what to be aware of but do not tell them that this publisher or that publisher is no good because they have not jumped to your imaginary whip cracking.

Get off your crucifix, love, someone else can use the wood.

People here have given you and NNP opportunity after opportunity to handle this by answering points and so far all you've done is spout over-emotional puff and complain about how mean we are. Unfortunately for you this is big, unforgiving world for new businesses and it's up to you to do yourself a favour by showing a degree of professionalism in how you address criticism and queries. So far, NNP scores nul point.

Penny Peterssen:
Who along the way made the lot of you who have done nothing but "cyber bash" and no I am not pointing the finger at the ones who had asked legitimate questions, just the ones who felt it was their Goddess given right to pull apart everything and then call themselves professional.

It's not cyber bashing, it's scrutiny. If you don't like it, don't go into publishing. If this whole martyr complex you've got going on is supposed to make me or any of the other people here who've held your comments made in your capacity as a former employee of NNP feel bad, then you are wasting your breath.

Penny Peterssen:
Check back on them in 2 years if you feel you must and let their results speak for themselves. But don't go placing them in the same pigeon hole as the ones who have failed. Give them a chance

I honestly don't know whether you've just not bothered reading the posts here or whether you actually don't understand them.

If you're going to give a publisher a chance, then you need to balance up whether they can deliver what they're promising. There are a lot of people here who can tell you the hell you end up in when the publisher you gave a chance to goes bust and takes your manuscript with it.

It's not rocket science.

Penny Peterssen:

The biggest publishing houses started off with people who knew publishing and sufficient investment to make sure they could turn a profit.

MM

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Penny Peterssen:
Seriously. You have called me unprofessional, so I am unprofessional to the point that rather than cause any hurt or embarrassment to the company I worked for, I chose to resign.

Yeah really unprofessional.

No, you're right. You're so professional that you decided to resign and then come over here to tell us that you've resigned and accuse us of being responsible for your resignation by our "personal attacks". Then you beg us to just please, pretty please, give NNP a chance because even though there remains absolutely nothing to suggest that they're capable of sustaining their business model every publisher has to start somewhere and OMG how mean are we for saying different.

This is absolutely the type of behaviour that would ordinarily be referred to as "professional".

MM