Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
In Jersey? That was a pigeon.

Nah... it was way bigger than the pigeons. Even from where we stood, it was huge. My husband thought it might be a falcon. And the Duke Farms people were hatching eagles (with live streaming, which was totally cool to watch at the time), but I don't know if eagles are all-white. I know almost nothing about birds (except the ones in the pet store are pretty and I'd like one.)

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
jersey, if it had long legs and a long beak it was probably an egret. short beak and round head, big yellow eyes, probably snowy owl. they get down this way in winter.

qW, former Audubon dude

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, no palmetto bug or roach pics, please. Bring on the spiders and cicada killers, etc. :D I have a roach phobia and that story about did me in.

I live just far enough north/inland that they get killed by our winters, thank God. And I mean that sincerely. It's why I couldn't live at the beach.

Costa Rican scorpians, humongous spiders, and jungle rats the size of my dog had nothing on my fear of those damned palmetto bugs. **shudders**

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
jersey, if it had long legs and a long beak it was probably an egret. short beak and round head, big yellow eyes, probably snowy owl. they get down this way in winter.

qW, former Audubon dude

It was in a tree, I couldn't tell you how long its legs were. And I wasn't climbing up to look. :D

But now that I think about it (this was last winter, so the memory's a little fuzzy) it might have been an owl.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad they were both okay! ::shudder:: Does your brother still have psychological scars from this incident?
He probably suffered more from us teasing him about what happened than the horror of the incident itself. For years we didn't let him live it down and used to call him Roachy, poor guy...
May I request some bugs, snakes, and lizards?
Sure, I have a few bug pictures I'll post here in the near future. (Do butterflies count?) I don't come across snakes or lizards that often but will keep an eye out for them and share what I find.

Today I was checking out a small alligator near the lake when a little blue heron happened by. She didn't see the gator at first, then did what can only be described as a double-take. She stared at him in disbelief it seemed, then screeched as if to say, "What the heck!" and flew off. It was pretty funny, almost like watching a cartoon sketch of the encounter.

This is when the heron first appeared and seemed to sense that something was not right: (I didn't have time to properly focus these images, unfortunately.)

2-10-12013-SM.jpg

And this is her EEK! moment:

2-10-12014-SM.jpg

The gator never budged, but I was secretly hoping it would spin around and take a swipe at the bird so I could get some really cool action shots. ;)

Please note this is a tricolored heron, not a little blue heron. More about that here.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: Great pics!

My cat did that with a huge raccoon once. He thought it was one of his pals bumbling by until he smelled it (he was half-blind). There needs to be a cartoon soundtrack for real life sometimes :D

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The eek moment is perfect! :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Do fish have embarrassing moments?
Of course not. They always have their wits about them, especially on AW.

A few bugs for Wicked. Not sure what these are called, but they sport interesting coloring and black, plate-like areas that are raised and appear like armor on their upper bodies:

1-6-12121-SM-2.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You took that photo too? You have quite a photographic eye.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You took that photo too? You have quite a photographic eye.

Yes, I agree.

I think Silver King should write a non-fiction book about animals and bugs and take the photos. Seriously.

We'd all buy a copy.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Do fish have embarrassing moments?
I recall a quote from W. C. Fields about not drinking water because of what fish do in it...
Yes, I agree.

I think Silver King should write a non-fiction book about animals and bugs and take the photos. Seriously.

We'd all buy a copy.
"Silver King's Coffee Table Picture Book of Animals And Bugs"

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a milkweed! I love how the background looks, like a motion blur. TY :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
SK, love the eek moment!

And I 11th the thought that you should do something with this photographic talent of yours! You're amazing!

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Silver King, you really are a great photographer.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You know, if you keep complimenting the photographer, you'll give him a big head and he might never stop posting images in this thread. ;)
Or maybe Dino's Dossier of Delights of Nature.
I've been meaning to change the title of this discussion, and that sounds like a good alternative...