Middling It

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
That's good news, Defcon. I liked that story.

Good luck to both you and Project Deadlight.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got an email :) I'm under consideration at Bibliotheca Fantastica!

Fingers crossed.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got an email :) I'm under consideration at Bibliotheca Fantastica!

Fingers crossed.

Woot! Good luck!

I wrote a story for B.F. this week and sent it out to beta readers. The responses were positive but also made me consider huge revisions which weren't going to be done in time for the deadline. So instead I wrote *another* story, which I'm also quite pleased with and will be submitting to them today.

So I've got two brand-new book related stories written in one week, and they're not even flash! Very pleased with that.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Well done everyone!!! If we didn't all live so far away from one another, I would suggest a good old Friday night drink to celebrate our middleyness.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
In the absolute middle now. Waiting to hear from One Buck Horror (Big ole form R from them in the past) and Shock Totem. I know that one of our brethren recently got an accpetance from ST, so I can only hope some of his luck rubs off on me. If not, I'm sharpening my teeth to chew his bones. :)

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
In the absolute middle now. Waiting to hear from One Buck Horror (Big ole form R from them in the past) and Shock Totem. I know that one of our brethren recently got an accpetance from ST, so I can only hope some of his luck rubs off on me. If not, I'm sharpening my teeth to chew his bones. :)

Hey now!! I need my bones to write!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

Just had an acceptance from Wash Pastime as mentioned on braggage. I submitted under the impression it would be pro/semi but the sum offered is most definitely token.

The story has already had a few R's and I am just really glad she has found a home so I am keen to sell... do any of you think I am mad given recent discussions?

Also, I have it out at two other markets which I will need to withdraw it from. WP have given me five days to respond so what is the etiquette? Can you ask the other market if they are interested too?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Hey,

Just had an acceptance from Wash Pastime as mentioned on braggage. I submitted under the impression it would be pro/semi but the sum offered is most definitely token.

The story has already had a few R's and I am just really glad she has found a home so I am keen to sell... do any of you think I am mad given recent discussions?

Also, I have it out at two other markets which I will need to withdraw it from. WP have given me five days to respond so what is the etiquette? Can you ask the other market if they are interested too?
First off, congrats! Second, do you feel that what WP is offering is fair compensation for your story? Because like you, a lot of us assumed they paid more, but it turns out they're a token market--and that should be noted on duotropes. *makes mental note to contact duo*

Anyway, if you're happy with the offer, accept it and politely withdraw the story from the other markets. I wouldn't ask those markets if they want to buy the story, 'cause they probably haven't even read the story, and it'll sound a wee bit arrogant on your part.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

My thinking is, don't contact the other markets. Either reject WP's offer and let the story ride, or accept it and withdraw from other venues.

If you're willing to walk away from the deal, another option would be to write them back and inquire what they're basing their offer on. Since their guidelines list pay "up to 5c a word" or some such, ask them how they arrived at the particular amount they offered you.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
thanks Alex and Defcon,

I think they should def advertise as token on duo. I think I may accept but I have requested a look at a sample contract first and also to clarify the status of their print edition.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Still crickets. I did get the "We've received your story" note from Stupefying Stories this morning for Caught. I still think it looks eerily like a rejection note when Gmail previews the first line.

Aggy, had a momentary "aahgh" moment

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I got got a request for a change to a story on Friday. Not so much a revision request as a "we're interested and want you to tell us how you'll address this concern." I'm feeling a little stressed about, if only because I'd love to sell to this market, and I'd hate to totally bungle things.

Aside from that, great vast seas of non-response.

GreenSquares

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fourgreensquares.wordpress.com
Congrats, Small Thing. That's pretty darn close to an acceptance. Is the thing they're worried about a big issue or a small detail?

Don't worry too much about messing it up--you know you write well enough to get them interested in the first place.

Fingers crossed for you.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Congrats, Small Thing. That's pretty darn close to an acceptance. Is the thing they're worried about a big issue or a small detail?

Don't worry too much about messing it up--you know you write well enough to get them interested in the first place.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks, Green Squares. They want it to end in a different place. Unfortunately, they've already discussed the other logical ending, so they want me to offer other options.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I am due to hear something. One of my submissions has been out longer than expected. Duotrope reports rejections in less time. I am hoping it is a good thing. I am hoping it is worth the wait.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I heard from Shimmer that a story has been passed up the the full editorial board.

Here's to more waiting--thought this type doesn't seem so bad. The nervous tension alone is helping me cut down on caffeine ;)

Congrats, GreenSquares. I'm anxiously awaiting hearing back on a similar situation there. Wishing both of us luck! :)