My beautiful terrace is going to be ready soooooon! :Jump:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantinas :Sun:

It is raining this day so gardening appears to be off the list. In exciting news I have discovered the art of reading, or at least what makes me sit down and read. the answer is a footstool. If I can raise my feet up off the floor I find it easier to stay sitting and reading. I think I may be getting old. So I am utilising a dining chair in place of footstool until I can get to a shop and buy one. That would be after the bathroom sink.
*Note for Bos - none of that is a euphemism*

So what's new in the cantina universe?

eatoncrow

Registered
Reaction score
Is it all right to barge in here, introduce myself and start chatting or should I go make some useful contributions first??

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is it all right to barge in here, introduce myself and start chatting or should I go make some useful contributions first??

Barge away, and welcome. :welcome:

Here have a magical refilling glass, pull up a barstool and make yourself comfy. Just watch out for.. well, you'll find out what to watch out for.

I think someone here has a map (I don't have signatures turned on so I can't remember who)

eatoncrow

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm just glad to find a very active writer's forum, because all the other ones I'd ever been part of were full of nothing but tumbleweeds and the occasional high-school student with poor spelling skills (which is okay in and of itself, but the guy never used spellcheck) trying to rip off Hemingway.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
<snip>I do have a nice one I took of her the other evening, since the demands for kitty pictures are not yet otherwise being met ;) (plus, she's just too pretty not to share!) :D

Awww, so cute! (btw, I friended you. I be the redhead called Sian. As long as you don't mind me posting my marriage rights stuff, I won't mind you posting anything :) )

*waves*

I would use emoticons, but I'm lazy. Welcome. There are coffee and tea wells around somewhere if you're interested. Otherwise, enjoy that magic cup, and watch out for the smibbles.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm just glad to find a very active writer's forum, because all the other ones I'd ever been part of were full of nothing but tumbleweeds and the occasional high-school student with poor spelling skills (which is okay in and of itself, but the guy never used spellcheck) trying to rip off Hemingway.

*Looks around at mostly snoozing cantina* Oh, we're active all right. Also, we do have tumbleweed, careful it doesn't bite you.

I understand what you're saying though, I went through a few places before I found this one. Odd really, you'd think writer's would be the ideal people to have on a forum.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've just been through my notebook. I have eight ideas written down. Two of them are only a sentence long, including whatever happened to H.G.Wells' minature time machine, but some of the rest are quite lengthy. Time to get chiselling the old fossils out of the ground then.

See you in 500 words, someone put the kettle on please.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

Welcome! Did anybody warn you about the kraken? And the raptor? Don't go wandering in the high grass, I'm just sayin'.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And now I've been through my computer files. I have another seven ideas written down there. Along with a load of extraneous guff about character back story. What am I Tolkien? (OR should that be who am I?) anyway, got enough ideas to carpet a backyard.

Toast, coffee, keyboard.

Hey Sian, wanna help me write a story?

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't tempt me Ally. I've got two weeks worth of stuff to go over tonight. If you're free after thursday next week, when my week gets slightly more manageable, I'd be happy to :D
Although, oddly enough, hanging around AW seems to be finally calming me down enough that I can concentrate.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
OMG. The kittens. They're climbing the walls. Literally. Apparently kitten claws and light kitten bodies make brick climbable.

Um. They're also moving too fast for photos.

Ohgodohgodohgod way to give me nightmares...

I'd rather deal with that raptor. Or the kraken.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wha... what's wrong with the kittehzs?

First thing I do when I move into my own place is buy a cat. It'll be a sign that I am financially independent - I can afford the rent, my own food, and the food for the cat = siany's got it made :D

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, so cute! (btw, I friended you. I be the redhead called Sian. As long as you don't mind me posting my marriage rights stuff, I won't mind you posting anything :) )

Hello, new friend! :D hehe :D

She's adorable!!!

Thankee kindly! :)

The gardener is ridding my backyard of wildernis! :Jump:

My beautiful terrace is going to be ready soooooon! :Jump:

w0000t! :D

Hallo! Welcome to The Cantina! Please don't abuse the Bartender Bot. She's a little sensitive at the moment.

I've been in a long meeting this morning about digital humanities and transferrable skills. I know you're all just jealous now.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Aw well, as you've been having such a wonderful time, why don't you do something to cheer yourself up?

I think I'm going to try some ninja writing after my lunch break! :D :snoopy:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As the Cantina Turns – The Mad Smibble's Tea Party

If this makes you smile, please consider giving a donation to Kids Need To Read - Thank you

Crash!
“Hey! Careful where you're throwing that kettle,” said Bos, removing the kettle whistle from the end of his nose.
“It's not fair. How the hell am I supposed to do any writing when there's no tea,” said Ali, pointing at the empty teapot on the end of the bar.
“Throwing the kettle around isn't going to help is it? Get Tiff to pass you a jug of water and make some,” said Bos. Tiff appeared on the other side of the bar with a water jug in her hand.
“It's pointless isn't it? Someone's got drunk and been trying to roast Smibbles in it again, haven't they? That's the fourth kettle this week. I swear we should ban Cobra from the optics after daybreak.”
“But that's when I do my bestestest writing,” said Cobra from a nearby chair.
“You mean that's when you do your best drinking,” said Ali, “I'm off to WriMo's, they'll have tea, and at least they'll be sober.”

The door slammed and a wave of silence passed across the bar, Bos and Tiff both sighed with relief.
“Hey Tiff pass us a drink.”
“Bos have you shrunk overnight?”
“No, I'm still eleven foot four in these heels.”
“So how come I can only just see your eyes peeping over the bar then?”
“The floor seems to have sunk at this end.”
“I wondered why the glasses were so easy to float down the bar in that direction.”
Bos walked up to the other end, towering over the soda fountain, and sat down on a bar stool. He and Tiff looked at the floor.

“The whole things just collapsed in on itself,” said Tiff
“It's just as well we don't use the connecting door or there'd be a real problem.”
“I wonder if it goes through.”
“They haven't reported anything strange from the other side, but then how would they recognise strange anyway?” said Bos, musing.
“Good point. We'll have to get a proper surveyor to take a look at it.”
“ OK, I'll ring through to YA and ask them to send someone over.”
“While you're doing that I'll try and scrape up some warning signs. I tell you what, those roast Smibbles do nothing for Cobra's gut, the smell over here is disgusting.” Tiff wrinkled her nose and edged away from where Cobra was sprawled.
“Do you want a mask?”
“No, but some air freshener would be nice.”
“I'll ask Fen for some pot porri from the dong garden while I'm making calls,” said Bos

“What's the situation?” Tiff asked the rather nice looking and very serious lady from YA.
“We've had an archive collapse on a lower level in the forums, that's why your floor has sunk. Please could you get this thing off my arm?” Bos removed the Smibble that was trying to chew a corner on her clipboard.
“No, I meant this,” she held up her right arm to show Cobra chewing on her sleeve.
Tiff reached over the bar, where she had been shovelling ice with Hillz' shovel and laid Cobra out cold on the floor.
“Thank you. As I was saying, there's been an archive collapse.”
“Isn't the archive under there?” Tiff pointed to the connecting door.
“Yes, so your substrate moved when it collapsed. That's why you can smell sulphur, we think you may be over a small lava flow. Nothing to worry about. I'm sure it'll all solidify within a few hours.”
The lady from YA made her way out as Tiff, Bos and the rest of the cantinas looked around.
“Lava?” said Gina, “no wonder it's warm.”
“Good for my plants,” said Fen.
“Shame it's not winter, we could use it to keep warm,” said Tiff.
“Yeah, it'd save us from having to get those truckloads of Harold Robbins and Danielle Steele sent round from the pulpers. Just think of the overdraft fees we could save,” said TJ.

The cantinas sat around the bar to discuss the problem.
“Renewable energy is just what we need,” said Hillz, “we could pipe around everywhere and save a fortune.”
“Maybe we could sell it off and buy more booze,” said Cobra, applying an ice pack to his head.
“What about our own SFF library? People can never seem to get hold of the books for the bookstudy, we could have them in stock ready,” said Fen.
“I vote we buy a large supply of kettles, said Ali, “so we can make tea after people break them trying to roast Smibbles in them.” Cobra winced and tried to hide behind Gina. Still annoyed, Ali slammed down her glass which went skittering off the end of the bar, sending up a small mushroom cloud of steam as the glass shattered.

“You know, that gives me an idea,” said Gina. “Hillz, can you give me a hand, we'll need your shovel.” Gina and Hillz walked off to the stores, reappearing a few minutes later with a couple of boxes. After a short pause there came the sound of digging and a clanging of pipes. The rest of the cantinas sat around drinking and writing. Cobra fell asleep leaning against a chair.

“And that's another masterpiece finished,” announced Bos, laying down his pen and placing a piece of paper with the words 'The End' written very neatly in the middle on the top of the pile beside him.
A sudden hiss of steam came from the other end of the bar, there was a cry of
“It's alive!”
Cobra woke with a start and the cantinas all moved over to take a look.
“Smells like coffee,” said Cobra.
“Dream on,” said Ali.
A network of pipes now covered the huge hole in the ground, and a small coffee machine had been built directly onto the end of the bar.
“It is coffee,” said Cobra.
“And tea,” said Hillz passing a cup to Ali, who almost fainted at the sight.
Gina explained, “You were saying about renewable energy, so we've put in steam heating for all the chairs and the greenhouse,” Gina offered TJ a chair, sitting down TJ said
“Ooo, cosy and warm.”
Gina carried on. “We've also built a kettle to boil the water and a coffee grinder that works with steam pressure.”
“This is brilliant,” said Fen, turning on the greenhouse radiator, and watching the water slowly drip off the leaves of her sedum.
“And it's all for free, from now on we'll be powered by beans and lava,” said Gina
The cantinas cheered and applauded as drinks were passed around.

Last edited:

eatoncrow

Registered
Reaction score
I used to have an ideas text file, but that was three computers ago. I just rely on my brain now -- I figure if I forget an idea, it wasn't worth it in the first place. The Beatles method!

Status
Not open for further replies.