The I-wish-I-was-at-Bouchercon-party

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
In honor of Bouchercon, I want to host an online party for those of us dimwits who can't make it. I'll be here and on our blogs too. Lots of ideas like virtual cheese fries (calorie free) and little "workshops"

Please respond if you'dlike to attend and help plan it. Throw out your ideas.

Lucie
(chief dimwit not going to Bouchercon)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! I had thoughts of trying to sneak away to Bouchercon, but it's not to be this year. Maybe next...

I'll provide the chocolate chip cookies and cheeze fries for the vegans. :hooray: (Uh, probably just me then, huh? :))

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are going to have cookies? :e2cookie: I don't see cookies on the Bouchercon schedule. Darn it! Strategic miscalculation.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
OH, this sounds like fun!

:)granny: Liz, dear, shouldn't you be editing in October? YES, I SHOULD. LEAVE ME ALONE.)

I went to the web site and downloaded their Panel schedule. They've got some interesting topics. We could borrow some of their subject matter...

I'll provide the chocolate chip cookies and cheeze fries for the vegans. :hooray: (Uh, probably just me then, huh? :))

Not a vegan, but...YUM. If I can get my husband to make some vegan chocolates, can I steal some cheeze fries?

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Party AND cookies! What's not to like.:D

Count me in, Lucie.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bouchercon is next week, Oct 4-7. I plan to bring something each day--music, food, maybe reading a paragraph, or perhaps a surprise interview with an author. I'm hoping y'all will too. I plan to use YouTube versions of the musicand webcam videos,plus photos of the food.

I'm wondering if maybe we could ask our Bouchercon friends to email us a photo each day--or a video of them asking a great author some ridiculous question. :)

Let's keep this light and without self-promos other than visiting each other's blogs. It'll be more fun that way.

How does that sound?

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Testing...

I was testing to see if I could post mobile uploads from Bouchercon from my phone to flickr and then link the pic here.

Only I had trouble getting the pic here, probably because pics here have to be smaller, so... would it work to just post my flickr account here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bflogal_pics/

And I will do my best to upload interesting pics throughout the conference.

And the picture of my cats is there now...in case you really want to see them. ;)

Last edited:

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Y'all don't forget the party starts tomorrow. I've organized a workshop on Thursday, an editor interview on Friday and a surprise for Saturday. I'll have food, music and "that unexpected con moment" each day. There will be at least one famous author ... I think. Plus, we'll have callalilly's pics coming through.

This is a group con, so y'all post whatever you want too. Interview a friend, write about something you've learned, etc.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Speaking of... I know I can Tweet from my phone, with pics. I won't have my laptop, so I'm not sure about posting the pics to photobucket and then copying here using my phone. :(

Follow me on Twitter for the pics, if you can: (at)Alic3Low33c3y (spelled with letters)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, if you want to email me I can put the photos through Photobucket for you. I'll rep you my email addy.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder, you've put a ton of thought into this! Thank you. :)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Why don't you interview someone you know or "workshop" an m/t/s topic? Something you feel is your strength or something you've learned a lot about. Or whatever you like.

If someone's funny, we also need a daily laugh.

Lucie

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 1 Starts Here

Awesome, BFloGal! I hate parking in the city.

Matt, you can post things here and to your blog. In my case, I'm doing half and half so I can imbed the photos/videos on my blog and protect the workshop here (since I'm giving it later tonight).

Here's my start for today (click over to the blog, then back for the workshop):

Day 1: The I-Wish-I-Was-at-Bouchercon Party

I've included coffee, your daily workout, registration, That Special Conference Moment and links back here to today's workshop:

See Here!
Seven Steps to Bring Your Finished Manuscript to the Attention of Publishers

The purpose of this talk is to help you prepare your book for the traditional publishing marketplace. It's more about fully understanding your book and making it the very best it can be than anything technical. If your work is chosen by a traditional publishing house, they will format it for Kindle, Nook and print editions. They will develop an overall strategy for everything from Oxford commas to marketing. The writer's role in a traditional publishing is more focused than in self-publishing. Your job is to write well, to balance an open mind with a willingness to defend your artistic vision during the editing process, and to help publicists promote your book.

This may look like a simple process, but each step has specific procedures and will improve your book and its marketability in unique ways. While our chat today only allows for time to outline a basic strategy for each step, I suggest joining Absolute Write Water Cooler for ongoing insights on this process.

* Find Your Pond: Relevance

Why this book and why now? What does your book give to this world that's fresh and unique? Is it a good laugh? A heart-stopping suspense masterpiece? (Okay, don't use the word "masterpiece" when describing your own book--not ever.) Is there some special insight into humanity that will make readers sit up straight and think? Why should anyone beyond your family care about this book at this moment in time? Write this down, then make certain that you've brought out that point effectively in your book. Your book's relevance should be central to every document you prepare below.

* Choose Your Bait: Pitch, Bio & Query - Revision

These are common documents of the publishing industry. Pitch: In twenty words or less, describe your novel in such a way that I'm drooling with desire to read it. Bio: Tell me why YOU are the the best person to write this book. Query: In 200 words (or preferably less), write an agent or publisher a letter asking them to read your manuscript. Do it in the same tone as your book and make them want to drive across country to see the manuscript. As you write these three documents, you'll find that you might actually have to bring out some parts of your book more or cut others. Paste your query into Absolute Write's "Query Letter Hell" for critique. Then revise it--and your book--with the feedback in mind. Repeat as needed.

* Develop Your Hook: Critiques - Revision

Post your opening scene in Absolute Write's Share Your Work board so everyone can critique it. Go back, make some changes, post again. Do this often enough to develop a thick skin. You first scene is a "hook" to lure in readers. Some people say that agents and editors give you only a couple of sentences to hook them. Some say that's a myth. I say, think about what you do when you pick up a book in a shop: how many sentences/pages does an author have to make his case with you? Really? Be honest with yourself. With me, it's about two sentences ... maybe a couple of paragraphs.

* Assess the Waters: Betas - Revision

Get at least 5 people who don't know you to read the book. Try asking your friends to each refer a reader they know but you don't. Revise your book with their feedback. If they didn't finish the book, try five more betas.

* Grease the Gears: Do you need to pay an editor?

How's your spelling, punctuation? How often do you say "that" in Chapter One?" Do your readers know where they are? Have you changed shirt colors in the middle of a scene? Find someone to help you spot those errors. I lucked into a beta-reader who was a former magazine copy editor. She used to send me emails with 40 corrections in a chapter, ugh. Let's just say that I learned real fast about semicolons: according to her, we're allowed about one per novel. Geez!

* Thread the Reel: Synopsis, Outline – Revise Again

Tell your entire story in one page or two. Give a complete outline, chapter by chapter. Use these tools to find plot holes and weaknesses in your themes. Revise the book again.

* Go Fishing

Research agents and small publishers on Absolute Write, Publisher's Marketplace and Agent Query. Now that you have the tools you need and a tight manuscript, start querying. If an agent or editor asks for the manuscript, send it over in five minutes. That'll make him sit up and notice.

Good luck!

Lucie

Last edited:

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
I am going to write something up on serial story telling and the graphic narrative. I know that this isn't unique to the MTS genre, but I think it's something that would be interesting/useful. I will put it up on my blog probably this afternoon and let everyone know when it's ready.