What colors do you see?

What colors do you see on the dress?

• Total voters

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
This is symbolic of the dichotomy between the classes in our society.

Clearly, people who are poor and have old computer screens are seeing the black and blue (cause their monitor sucks) and those who are affluent and using flat screens are seeing white and gold. Not to mention gold = rich. Clearly, the rich want to make sure the poor can't even see gold, much less have it. And of course, our gov't says nothing, all to keep their corporate, capitalist-pig masters happy.

It's a conspiracy!

:)

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a newish computer, but I'm a night-owl (as evidenced by this post being made at 1:10 am, my time.)

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I see white/gold. On multiple devices, turning the screen at different angles, etc. I even tried one of those color things people are posting where you stare at orange for a while and then look back at the dress and it should supposedly be black/blue. Nope. It still looks white and gold.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've seen some weird color shifts between corrupted files and uncalibrated monitors. I looked at the link on a Samsung tablet, a Samsung phone, and my old flat screen monitors. All of them showed recognizable white and gold in blue ambient. (Shrugs.) I make a good portion of my living in the visual arts, so accurate color is important.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap. It just turned blue and black for me. I had the same window open and looked back at it a little while later and it looks COMPLETELY different. This is blowing my mind. *screams and hides under the covers*

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
My son saw black and blue immediately, that and only that. My oldest daughter and I saw white and gold, but could see black and blue if we tilted the screen back. My youngest daughter saw white and gold at first, then it flipped for her to black and blue.

Fun stuff.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Whatever way I look at it, I can only see white and gold.

And a damn ugly dress Cleopatra wouldn't be caught dead in!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Insane. I only see white/gold. Even in the links where they show how the lighting can be changed...it doesn't really look royal blue and black. It looks like someone took a picture of white/gold in the dark with a bad flash.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Oh, for crying out loud.

It's a digital photograph on a light-using medium (computer screens).

Objectively speaking, the dress displays as shades of blue and brown. I'm an artist trained to see these things; it's my job to try to reproduce them in paint. I am willing to bet screen captures using Photoshop or something similar would show colors in the blue and brown range.

However, our eyes don't actually see colors objectively. Our visual sensory organs are cobbled together from the accidents of evolution. Most of what we think we see is our brain's interpretation and interpolation of whatever signals our eyes manage to catch.

A lot of the colors we think we see are contextual. They are interpreted based on what is around them. This is why the same color of paint can look like white or like navy blue depending on the other colors around it.

This is one of the basic skills painters need to learn in order to fool the eye with paint, which has a much more limited range of colors than all the actual possibilities the world gives us.

That photograph has a dress in it. The quality of the photograph is terrible, and there is no human figure in it to mentally adjust the colors by, which adds to the ambiguity.

The light beyond the dress is washed out yellow and brilliant white. The dress in the foreground shows blues and browns.

However, that is not necessarily what our brains interpret.

When a light is yellow, its shadows are blue. When we see a strong blue in an apparent yellow light, we tend to interpret it as white in shadow instead of blue.

Likewise, that could be a deeply shadowed gold lace, or it could be a badly-photographed washed-out black with yellowish light on it, or it could be brown.

Our brains will try to make sense of the picture based on contextual clues. It's what brains do.

Sometimes this image will look like a white and dark gold dress in deep shadow, sometimes a blue and brown dress, and sometimes a blue and black dress with yellowish reflections.

It's all in the mind.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fabric of the dress looks reflective, also, so depending on lighting etc., what in fact is blue and black can look white and gold. (I am taking the position that the catalogue image is relatively accurate as to color.)

ETA: Also, what Alessandra said. We believe we see objectively, but we don't.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The one time that Eggplant might have been a legitimate answer, and it's not on the poll!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Guys, this is a simple optical trick. Your brain automatically adjusts how it thinks of colors in low and high light so your perception of color in that low light stays the same despite the actual amount of light reflected changes, and therefore the color you see.

The background of the world of the dress is bright. If your brain decides for you that the dress in the foreground is in shadow, you'll see white (light blue)/gold. If your brain decides that the dress in the foreground is in the same bright light of the background, you'll see blue/black. If you go by objective colors (like hex codes), it's kind of blue/khaki. There's nothing mysterious about it.

Either way it's a hideous dress.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I like the dress.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
That is a very cool analysis - and solid reason to learn how to do basic photography. I believe the catalog image, and the catalog makes no mention of two different colorways. So the original photograph is blown out, with what I read as 'white' being the shiny reflections on black fabric.

And yes, it is an ugly dress, no matter the color. That too is completely subjective: I simply don't like horizontal patterns on clothes.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha, oh my god. There's an XKCD comic about it today.

I can't see the blue and black, but I've tried. There was a gif that made it work for me, but the effect only lasted a few seconds. Super uncomfortable.