• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Capri Publishing

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
As mentioned early on in this thread, it's a bad idea to contract with an undercapitalized, understaffed publisher. A number of people willfully disregarded those warnings because of a number of reasons.

Those of you who've been burned by PA and Capri,remember the old expression: "Trick me once, shame on you; trick me twice..."

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Warning people about a clueless publisher is one thing, but I can't think of a good reason to post only to say: "Neener, neener. I told you so."

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
It was directed to the people who had a sense that Capri wasn't good, but closed their eyes to the evidence presented.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah...I was being sarcastic...sorry there are some who get depressed clinically...I hope you all the best. I heard long ago that depressed people make the best writers.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
LeslieB said:
But if she is truly suffering from depression, and not simply saying she has it as an excuse, then let's not pretend that it is something she can just snap out of whenever she likes.

Er...I never claimed she can just snap out of it whenever she likes. I understand how depression works quite well. However, reality is still reality. If she truly IS suffering from depression, she can't just continue ignoring her authors and obligations, hoping they will just go away. I can empathize with her while not excusing her actions.

At any rate, I don't want this to turn into a debate on whether or not she truly is depressed. I was just pointing out that regardless of any excuses (even if valid) she may have, she still needs to live up to the business obligations she has made. And those considering submitting to Capri definitely need to keep all these things in mind before they actually send anything in.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Capri is a one-person shop, along with a PT editor. And apparently, she has a day job. You don't have to be an expert in publishing to see that there's no way in hell 1-1/2 people can edit and publish 60 books, and run the fulfillment end of it.

There's no way [there was never any way] this company can succeed. Yet people keep submitting to them and "hoping for the best", etc. That's crazy.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Kasey Mackenzie said:
Er...I never claimed she can just snap out of it whenever she likes. I understand how depression works quite well. However, reality is still reality. If she truly IS suffering from depression, she can't just continue ignoring her authors and obligations, hoping they will just go away. I can empathize with her while not excusing her actions.

At any rate, I don't want this to turn into a debate on whether or not she truly is depressed. I was just pointing out that regardless of any excuses (even if valid) she may have, she still needs to live up to the business obligations she has made. And those considering submitting to Capri definitely need to keep all these things in mind before they actually send anything in.

I'm not excusing her actions either. But I've seen a number of posts in this thread that seem to have the attitude that she could just get on with things if she really wanted to. When someone has clinical depression, they *can't* get on with things. But I agree perfectly that she still has to take responsibility for cleaning up the mess she has created.

As for the sudden optimistic forecasts... well, that sounds like someone who has just gotten help or medication. After feeling so bad for so long, it isn't unusual for an improvement to be inflated into "Everything is going to be just perfect now!"

I'm just saying that it is possible that this is someone who started out with big hopes, got tangled up and/or sick, and is trying to stay afloat, rather than an intentional scammer. "A fool rather than a knave," as the saying goes.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
It's quite a leap from SouthernWriter1978 saying that Bridgett said she was "depressed" to diagnosing clinical depression. Lots of things could be true. Let's stick to what we know.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Roger J Carlson said:
It's quite a leap from SouthernWriter1978 saying that Bridgett said she was "depressed" to diagnosing clinical depression. Lots of things could be true. Let's stick to what we know.

I didn't consider it a leap. I assumed that was what she was offering as a reason she hadn't met her obligations. An illness, after all, is something people usually understand as a reason for a delay. Otherwise, what are we left with? That she is saying, "Tough cookies, I was in a bad mood"?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
She could also be saying it just to get people off her back because not only is it an acceptable reason for delay, it's also difficult to corroborate. The point is, we don't know. She didn't come here and claim depression. We got it second hand. So we ought to stop speculating about it.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think since she is offering to take on more books, she is sending out contracts to new authors, she most certainly isn't shutting Capri down over depression. She is only using it as a way of getting them off her back. I just wonder what she did with all those hopes and dreams she crushed, did she bottle it up for later use or sell it to the next victim on the street?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm still boggling over 50 books by NEXT September. Let me clue you in, folks. Most publishers picked their fall catalog for 2007 last spring. They'll start editing them by this winter. She's just looking for subs NOW??

FIFTY BOOKS? How can she a) read that many subs from beginning to end, b) pick the ones she wants and c) treat them as anything more than a spell-check and d) get the artwork, cover copy etc.. done???

She can't. There's no way, not by herself, not even with a PT helper. It's physically impossible, especially since she's got a FT job.

If she does, by some miracle, get that many books out for Sept. '07, what in the world will they be? Will she have some sort of other 'problem'?

I mean, problems arise, it happens, but this woman is setting herself UP for problems. THREE books, done well, would bode better for her reputation than fifty shoved out the door in a shoddy way.

Insane.

edcook

I sent my registered letter today to be released from her contract.
By the way her other telephone number is now taking messages, the other day it was full. If I do hear from her I will post what she says.
She seemed to be doing fine until after her divorce. I think her ex-husband at least helped her with the business.

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
I'm still boggling over 50 books by NEXT September. Let me clue you in, folks. Most publishers picked their fall catalog for 2007 last spring. They'll start editing them by this winter. She's just looking for subs NOW??

FIFTY BOOKS? How can she a) read that many subs from beginning to end, b) pick the ones she wants and c) treat them as anything more than a spell-check and d) get the artwork, cover copy etc.. done???

She can't. There's no way, not by herself, not even with a PT helper. It's physically impossible, especially since she's got a FT job.

If she does, by some miracle, get that many books out for Sept. '07, what in the world will they be? Will she have some sort of other 'problem'?

I mean, problems arise, it happens, but this woman is setting herself UP for problems. THREE books, done well, would bode better for her reputation than fifty shoved out the door in a shoddy way.

Insane.

I think we all know the answer to that one, Christine. (sighing) No

MRutan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanierutan.com
Roger J Carlson said:
She could also be saying it just to get people off her back because not only is it an acceptable reason for delay, it's also difficult to corroborate. The point is, we don't know. She didn't come here and claim depression. We got it second hand. So we ought to stop speculating about it.

Well, I'm not speculating. I received an email stating that the reason I didn't get my books is because she was depressed.

While I understand that depression is a serious condition, it's not a good enough excuse for what she's doing. She said she had a secretary. An email should have been sent out to all the authors, saying that do to an illness things would be getting pushed back.

While illness happens in every family and business people still find a way to keep things going. To drop out of sight for two weeks, come back for a day and drop back out is not the way to make your authors happy.
I have suffered from depression myself, but I still managed to trudge through my day, no matter how difficult it was.

I have requested my rights be returned to me. That will afford me a chance to go back through it and make sure that it's perfect before I submit someplace else.

MRutan

Raindrops

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mackenziedrewnovels.com
I posted here a while back about my shorts with Capri. I never received a contract, which she promised she'd send me. After seven tries to get it, I accepted the fact I wasn't getting one. Even though she never had me to sign anything, she still put my shorts out there for people to buy. The way I see it, I can take them back and there's absolutely nothing she can do about it. What do you think?

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
If only it stopped at 50 novels:

From the Capri site:

There are no costs to the author or illustrator for submitting or having their work in print. No fees or no hidden costs. Just simply submit your work and I will let you know if it has been accepted or not.

1. Submit all work either by emailing the MS Word or Adobe attachment to [email protected] or by sending it through the mail on CD disk to the above address.
2. I will be accepting most genres except true stories unless they are written as fiction.
3. Do not submit any work you want an answer on before 31 March 2007.
4. Starting 15 October 2006, work that is submitted will be looked at by CP first. If it looks good overall, it will go to the editor and then another editor from there.
5. CP is only accepting a limited amount of manuscripts for 2007. And the release date for those that are accepted will be 12 September 2007.
Novels - 50
Short stories - 50
Children - 15
Non-Fiction - 5
Poems - 10
6. The deadline for submissions for 2007 release will be 15 March 2007.

Limited!
Now does this sound like a woman who realises her limitations? As Christine pointed out, 50 novels for a company that size is an impossible joke. This to me proves that all her spouting off about knowing she took on too much/depression/working things out etc is all bull. If she was serious about getting back on track and if she had learnt any lessons from the mess she has got herself and her authors into she wouldn't even be thinking of taking on new authors let alone on this laughable scale.

Anyone who reads this thread and who has looked at the Capri website and STILL decides to submit work needs their bumps feeling. Even if you decided to ignore every post by every concerned author connected to Capri, the submission numbers alone are enough of a warning.

Last edited:

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the font and spacing, I seem to be channelling Capri's web site style.

Woodworth

I've been watching this thread for some time and a few of you have contacted me personally. This is a most unfortunate situation. I have not sent any money and have gone four weeks with no response to my e-mails or phone calls.

One concern that I have is that my children's book, "Monsters Under My Bed," is listed as having 15 pages. It was submitted as a 24+ page book.

I have sent my letter to cancel my contracts. I know Publish America has gotten a bad wrap, but at least with them (after my first book), I understood what I was getting and what I wasn't getting. They, however, will not publish my children's books.

On another note, Bridgett found me. She came to my website, said she liked the book, and said if I ever had anything to ever submit to give her a try. I sent her my children's book, based on a real life situation with my son (www.monstersundermybed.net for more info). After several rejections, FINALLY I found someone willing to take a chance on it. And now, here I sit in a very bad situation. Friends and family have ordered my book and have yet to receive it. It was originally supposed to be out in March 2006. This story is very personal to me and I'm one pissed off man about what Capri Publishing is (or should I say is not) doing. My other children's book, "My Life is Like the Military," was co-written with my son. Now his dreams have been stomped on. Capri Publishing is going to learn that you can screw with me, but you do not screw with my kid. The flood of cancellations, the paypal claims filed, and the contacting of the Better Business Bureau by several authors is just the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I think this woman has a mental problem. After she sent me my releases, she asked me if I wanted her to still put the book and short out until I find another publisher. Of course I said no. Bridgett doesn't care if she has a contract or not. I find this a bit strange. It's ridiculous.

Jennifer Robins

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent Bridgett an email to cancel my contract and to cancel any consideration she may have had for the publication of another manuscript I submitted some time ago. I'll submit them elsewhere. Another author told me about sending a certified/registered letter to her in case she starts up again and visits the new publisher about royalties. What does this mean? Can someone help me with this?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Raindrops said:
Why on earth did she take on so many authors and expect this to work?
For the same reason so many authors submitted their work to her despite her lack of qualifications and resources.

I hope everyone caught in this mess is reading the rest of this board to learn how real publishers work, etc. It's the only way you'll avoid future quagmires and heartache.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Registered/Certified Letters -- Why They Are Good

Dwayne, The U.S.P.S. protects you by your sending a letter registered or certified, because you then have proof, legal proof, that you sent a cease and desist (or any other type) of letter to someone who may try to come back at you legally.

These kinds of letters MUST be signed for by someone, proving they were received. You then receive a copy of the signature, date and time the letter was received, which you should then save for furture (hopefully unnecessary) use.

Any employee at your local Post Office will be both happy and able to help you determine if you should send your letter registered or certified (there are nuanced differences that I don't have memorized). And you, and all other Capri authors who are trying to ensure they get their own property back, should send your letters registered/certified, even if you've already sent one via regular mail and have had Capri confirm she's returning things to you. (For those sending a second letter, or confirming email and/or phone conversations, just start it with something like, "Per our initial conversation dated XX-XX-XX through XX-XX-XX, I am confirming again that...")

In situations like this, you want the law on your side. This is a cheap and easy way to ensure that you have proof that will stand up in court. Oh, and always keep a copy of what you sent in that registered/certified envelope.

P.S. Send via the United States Post Office, NOT via FedEx or UPS or any of the other overnight or ground carriers. It will be both cheaper and more legally sound.