Gardeners of AW, unite

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Just planted some rows of cilantro, curly parsley, and dill. We'll see how they do in the cool season. Only 45 days to go until the first frost.

Have also been considering lettuce, but I'm not sure they could mature in that time.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The two remaining pots of beets are doing so-so, which roughly sums up the rest of my garden. Still collecting basil seeds. The banana peppers are giving me a few peppers every few days.

Planted some lettuce yesterday and will harvest early for baby greens. The seed package was open, so why not?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seems my grape hyacinth relocation was successful, too. The bulbs are sturdier than I thought.

I'm guessing that's not actual grapes? If it is, I'll come help with the harvest :D

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Nah, the only native grape here is the mustang variety. They're easy to find in the woods, but good luck getting to the fruit.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Try raspberries :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I planted lettuce, radishes and collard greens (which love the cool weather) a couple weeks ago. We'll see how it does in Western NY. But its been raining for 3 days.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been raining here for 3 days too. The whole east coast is getting a flood.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Speaking of weird weather, I took a photo of my garden yesterday. It looks like it should in July--everything is behind by at least a month! I got my first Early Girl tomato in early August. Right now I'm getting beans (pole and bush), tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, carrots, chard, Hungarian wax peppers, and the celery is coming along nicely.

The other weirdness is that the little yellow pear tomatoes have always been a no-fail crop and this year I"ve had 3. We want to put in our fall to winter plants, but there's no room. The ones already in the bed still have plenty of life in them.

1030122493_dKjPf-M-1.jpg

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice garden. You did a good job :)

I put some of my plants on the patio last night to keep them a pinch warmer than the 54F low. As soon as it hits 60 I'll go put them out again.

The lettuce went crazy despite all the rain and lower temps and sprouted. I will have a lot of little plants to cull (and nom). I have covered it with a small grate to keep curious beaks away (hopefully. A determined bird might be able to reach through).

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Thanks, Fenika! We need to put up better supports for the beans and climbing veggies though. I was using donated tomato cages that are half-falling apart. We used to have a setup with t-posts and livestock wire, but my husband wanted to try just the wire sunk in the ground for next year.

I challenged him to go out and heft the pole bean plants and see if that would really work. He hasn't said another thing more about it, so I think there will be t-posts!

We went out yesterday and plucked 8 scary-sized hornworms off the tomatoes. I've seen a few around, but as long as they ate the leaves I left them alone. But then they started eating my future tomatoes as well! I was initially excited to see the little buggers because I needed some photos for a short story I got published in Hunger Mountain, but by yesterday the novelty had worn off and "I wasn't in any mood to marvel."

Our Fuji apples and Pink Lady apples are nearly ripe, and I picked the Harrow's Delight pears so we'll see how they taste in a few days.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's it. I dumped them. The straggling tiny leaves the parsley managed to produce and the basil that never grew have been added to my box of dirt and dead things.

At least the houseplants are still going.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You put in a good fight, Jenn. Now keep those houseplants happy (and you) and make sure you have a humidifier for the winter :)

I got fed up with the abysmal weather and moved select plants inside. A few (2 scraggly pots o basil and the avocado) are sitting in my sister's bay window and will have to deal (and the mold on the soil needs to die dang it. Die die die).

Three basil pots and one bursting with lettuce pot are inside mom's by the large window and with the grow light. I've been rotating them, they seem happy. Killed some caterpillars, which were ready to kill some basil seedlings. The usual.

I gave a few lettuce sprouts to the parrots and they approved.

The rest of the garden is hanging in there. The peppers are having a last hurrah still. I was supposed to be in NC a long time ago ;) Since I'll be traveling lots these next few months, I just have to make do. And keep an eye out for greenhouses on craigslist!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PS- Anyone have a good link to composting at home +/- winter tips?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you folks are out there still ;)

I bought a dehydrator :D This morning I'm making fruit rolls with store bought fruit. Later I'll be drying my own purple basil. There's some neat recipes that came with this thing.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I've been sick the last few weeks so I haven't checked on the few plants left in my garden. Will check today and hopefully will bring home pumpkins, banana squash, broccoli, and potatoes.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good harvest if all goes well, Rose. Make lots of stew :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Supposedly we had a frost. Who knew? I think because my garden is off the ground in recycle bins it didn't effect it. Still have tomatoes turning red, green peppers are still growing, and I just noticed two nice size eggplants. Weird.

Radishes, lettuce, and collard greens I planted a few weeks ago are doing well. I froze some stuff but I made some great zucchini pickle spears (if I didn't say that already) and regular pickles.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Well one of my pumpkins got stepped on by a deer, luckily they didn't like the taste enough to munch my other two. My three banana squash are giant. They're each three feet long and have a diameter of eight inches. I ended up with 100 lbs of potatoes, not bad considering they only got two months from seed to grow. And with that my garden is done. There is nothing but dirt left and it's too cold to grow anything else.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad everyone is having such good harvests.

I'm home for the weekend and I got four banana peppers and collected some more basil seeds. The outside lettuce has barely grown (stupid cold weather) but the indoor lettuce (window and grow light) is nice and tender.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna have a proper garden next year! My new rental has a fairly large fenced off area that's very fertile. The plants in there now are plenty big and would be happy were not for the cold snap. The landlord is going to till it under for me, and I'll have to start planning what to put in there. And there's tons of room around the driveway and yard for gardening overflow :D

And my plan to get chickens and guineas, which will help in the garden, is in full effect :D

:snoopy:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

I'm going to look for a rental with more light next spring. 20 minutes of direct sunlight in July only is less than I, nevermind plants, need.

I've got lowlight houseplants now and everyone seems happy.

But.

I heard that you can root lemongrass from the grocery, and I bought more than I needed... and it did root (took about 3 weeks and the water is less than clear, but those are definitely roots). Too bad it'll probably die once I put it in dirt. It's definitely not a low light plant.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there someone that can plant sit over the next few months? :D

And that's a good idea. I will get some lemongrass next spring and try that.