Status
Not open for further replies.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
haha! But thanks. I'm impressed you even caught that. Most people don't. ;)

Really? How could anyone not get the reference? That's crazy, lol!

And hi guys, hope everyone's doing well. I just broke the 20k word mark on my WIP last night, so I'm pretty chuffed with myself :D

Sorry to hear about your hubby, Dory. hope he gets hope safe and sound!

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Really? How could anyone not get the reference? That's crazy, lol!

And hi guys, hope everyone's doing well. I just broke the 20k word mark on my WIP last night, so I'm pretty chuffed with myself :D

Sorry to hear about your hubby, Dory. hope he gets hope safe and sound!

Congrats! I'm there with you at the 20k mark. *high five*

Thanks. He's on his way home. And apparently Kim Kardashian is on the plane (on the way to the MTV Europe Music Awards). He texted to tell me. Glad something could take his mind off his troubles, lol.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy: glad your hubby is better!

Mel: I don't see how people wouldn't get where those names are from. Seems pretty obvious to me.

It felt great here today (70s). I always get sick this time of year because the weather can't make up its mind. Two days ago it was in the 30s and 40s and I had my big coat and scarf. Ugh. Weather.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess there are a LOT of people who don't know LOTR, or they've seen the movie/s but for them it was just a 3 hour flick they went to see to eat some popcorn w/extra butter for and wash it down with a way too large soda :D I would say only 1/20 people recognize the names when I say them. Others say, Ooh, those are interesting names. When I tell them what they're from, most people either confess to never having seen it, or give me an "Oh, okay. Yeah." But most times even then, they only recognize Arwen's name and don't get that Lorien is from Loth Lorien. :D

Stiger, I know this time of the year (and spring) can be so annoying with the major day to day (and even morning to afternoon) differences in temp. I cannot wait to move somewhere hot. Next year we are DEFINITELY out of here. I love NY with all my heart, but I really need to be somewhere warm year 'round.

Dot, soooooooo happy to hear hubs is well and will be home soon!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I bet there'd be more recognition if it was like Frodo and Gandalf, but even then, some people just wouldn't know the source at all.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Love the twin names :) I used to coach a pair of twins that I got tell apart from close up, but not far away. So when we were doing drills I just called them Twin 1 and Twin 2. They actually never minded.

I woke up to a great text message :) The Amir decided all schools should be closed. I wish they had decided last night before I got up at 5:30 this morning. But now I can have a productive NaNo day, since yesterday was a wash :)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Mel! Your twins have awesome names! Everyone should recognize what epic, masterpiece fantasy they come from. I'm talkin' "Jersey Shore."

Ouch. Just kidding. They ARE cool names.

And I'm with you about warmer climates. As soon as my daughter's happily married, fully functional and mature, financially stable, I'm OUTTA' Kansas and going somewhere warm, year 'round. SICK of the cold, icy winters. Then I'll officially, legally change my name to "Stuck In Florida." Or something.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
And I'm with you about warmer climates. As soon as my daughter's happily married, fully functional and mature, financially stable, I'm OUTTA' Kansas and going somewhere warm, year 'round. SICK of the cold, icy winters. Then I'll officially, legally change my name to "Stuck In Florida." Or something.

You could move here. Yesterday, it was about 95 F. My poor girls had a soccer game up on a roof top field. I thought they would all just melt away.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
It was 57 here, but that's unusual. We have a storm coming through from Canada. By Tuesday it will be 85 again :D

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
You could move here. Yesterday, it was about 95 F. My poor girls had a soccer game up on a roof top field. I thought they would all just melt away.

Roof top? Real grass or artificial?

Speaking of "field" I have a Brit friend who used to proof stories for me. I once wrote something like, "marshy pond the size of a football field" (I meant American football field.) She changed "field" to "pitch" (football/soccer pitch) and I started to scratch my head. I was writing about an American traveling around the world and the scene in question was in Africa. To get around any potential issues/disputes I changed the whole thing to "the size of a stadium." Sometimes, it's just a word, a word that shouldn't matter, that gets me into hair pulling mode.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, I did one of these :Jaw: when I read the first part of your post LOL. Jersey Shore. *shudders* Though, now that I think about it, I wonder how they all did during the the SSS? :(

I'm hoping to be Stuck in Puerto Rico, Stuck in Texas, Stuck in Arizona, or Stuck in New Mexico. I will be happy in any of those places. I guess Florida wouldn't be too bad, but I spent a lot of time in Miami most of my childhood/teen years and, meh. Been there done that.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Roof top? Real grass or artificial?

Speaking of "field" I have a Brit friend who used to proof stories for me. I once wrote something like, "marshy pond the size of a football field" (I meant American football field.) She changed "field" to "pitch" (football/soccer pitch) and I started to scratch my head. I was writing about an American traveling around the world and the scene in question was in Africa. To get around any potential issues/disputes I changed the whole thing to "the size of a stadium." Sometimes, it's just a word, a word that shouldn't matter, that gets me into hair pulling mode.

Artificial. We don't get a lot of real grass here. It's too hot, everything dies :)

Totally get the pitch/field thing. I grew up using mostly American terminology, but over here they use mostly British terminology--at least when they talk about sports.

Now I find I use both terms...sometimes in the same conversation. Like, "Yes, you may write about your favorite football stars, just make sure that everyone knows you're talking about a soccer player."

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
"Yes, you may write about your favorite football stars, just make sure that everyone knows you're talking about a soccer player."

haha! they must look at you like this: :Wha:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Artificial. We don't get a lot of real grass here. It's too hot, everything dies :)

Totally get the pitch/field thing. I grew up using mostly American terminology, but over here they use mostly British terminology--at least when they talk about sports.

Now I find I use both terms...sometimes in the same conversation. Like, "Yes, you may write about your favorite football stars, just make sure that everyone knows you're talking about a soccer player."

LOL @ everything dies ^_^

I didn't know they used British terms there. I thought the US had the most influence on them among western countries. Learn something new everyday.

Maybe write about David 'OMG not him again' Beckham??? I once read (on barstool.com, I think) an interview of a Boston bartender and on the question of whom she wanted to date with the most she named Beckham and she didn't have a clue what soccer was.

I think I saw someone mentioned Jorsey Sore. My car died after Sandy left. Before I went out looking for a mechanic I checked rental cars. It seemed that Enterprises Rent-a-Car was completely sold out in NY/NJ area up to mid December. I expect same with other big/MM rental car companies. Then yesterday I went to look for a car and holy $%#$% it was like cars were free and there were like 987654321 ppls in the showroom. Some people oughta love Sandy.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I passed by a dealership the other day and took notice to how crowded the place seemed to be. Interesting. Though this time of the year, isn't it typical to have a lot of deals because they are getting in the new year models?

And OMG I LOVE BECKHAM AND I AM A SOCCER FANNNN. In fact, in the current wip I'm working on, I have written two of the main male characters with younger versions of Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) and Fernando Torres (Chelsea) in mind. :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone got an Android smartphone? I got one yesterday :)D) and I have some questions about apps.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I have no clue why car dealers in Kuwait are so crowded but here in NJ, maybe one in ten cars were flooded or blown to Syria during Sandy's loving touches.

I am not a fan of Cristiano Ronaldo but I've seen his underwear ad and I've watched his matches and I can understand why gals love him <jealous emote>. Torres, I just don't understand. Incidentally I'm using a (yeah, younger) version of a Spanish tennis player Feliciano Lopez as visual reference for a key character. Most of my characters have "borrowed" visual references cuz I'm a very visual person.

Lisa, Samsung GS3? Maybe try the tech sub-forum? I use iPhone myself (switched from flip phone recently :D) and while learning, realized many tiny little things I wrote about my char using her smart/i phone was wrong.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Bing, don't get me wrong, I do NOT like Ronaldo in terms of his personality. He seems to be VERY obnoxious and totally full of himself and actually turns me off. If he hit on me in a bar I think I would laugh at him. Look wise however, I love how he looked when he was younger (minus that stupid tail hair thing he wore for many years blech!). Torres I think has a very sweet innocent look to him (esp when he was younger). I can't help it. I love me some Latino/Spanish men. That's why I married one ;) And why I almost always have a Latino character/LI in my novels.

Last edited:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I will second the love of Latino men. They're amazing.

As to David Beckham, I think he's a really nice guy and seems like a lot of fun, but I think he's totally overrated as a soccer player.

My kids all love Ronaldo, and think I'm being blasphemous if I suggest he's not the greatest player ever ;)

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
My son is a soccer fanatic. I detest all sports and have no idea what is going on, but the man candy in soccer makes things bearable!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Lisa, my hubby would be jealous. He is sick of the iPhone and wants to get a Samsung Galaxy.

Kitty, aren't you writing 90K or something crazy like that for NaNo?

I hate sports. It is God's joke to give me three sons who love them and a childhood obesity epidemic that demands I indulge them.

I am completely failing at NaNoWriMo. I am writing, for sure, and I think I have a good thing going, but I am not going to make even my minimized goals. It is like getting blood from a stone some days to get 1,000 words. Some days, I cannot even get that.

That is ok, because other things need to get done. I went to visit a friend in the hospital today. We only met a year ago when she moved here from Colorado. She was a rockstar when I needed help setting up a blog, and she didn't know me that well. It felt good to be there for her today, when she is so far from her family and doesn't know that many people here yet.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I will second the love of Latino men. They're amazing.

As to David Beckham, I think he's a really nice guy and seems like a lot of fun, but I think he's totally overrated as a soccer player.

My kids all love Ronaldo, and think I'm being blasphemous if I suggest he's not the greatest player ever ;)

Yes. He will prob go down in history as one of the best to ever play the game. As will Messi ;) He's freaking AMAZEBALLS! But I'm TOTALLY in love with Castilla from Spain. SA-WOON. And I totally own a David Villa shirt. My hubs and I are huge Spain fans, though he's Royal Madrid and I'm Barcelona (though it's hard 'cause I fell so in love with the entire Spanish team when they took the last world cup!)

My son is a soccer fanatic. I detest all sports and have no idea what is going on, but the man candy in soccer makes things bearable!

Yes it does. I really only love Tennis, Soccer, and baseball. Don't really follow anything else. During olympics I love to watch everything, but you will never find me watching a football or basketball game from start to finish. Maybe if I were at the stadium but on TV? I'd rather gouge my eyes out with wooden skewers. :D

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
You gals are more into sports than I am. Gah! Should I hand in my "man-card?" For more insights into my non-sporting manhood, I refer you to my newest blog entry. I made a HUGE mistake in sending that post to my "fantasy football" team. They were not amused.

Once again, ladies, I have to ask. What IS the deal with nano writing? Don't you think writing's more of a solitary experience, best served with no self-imposed, superficial deadlines? I dunno. Convince me. Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before. Ask my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.