Favorite lines you've written

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite line is:

The End

(C'mon . . . somebody had to say it. :D)

yttar

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yttar.blogspot.com
This is the last line from my 2006 NaNo, Like a Frothing Rabid Dog is Adorable.

I drank until my boyfriend lay dead in my arms.

Yttar

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
Nick was indestructible. I was pretty sure if the Earth was decimated by a nuclear holocaust, the only things that would survive would be cockroaches, Twinkies and Nick Murphy.

This is great!

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
From my favorite short story, Faithful:

It’s strange the memories that burden the heart across years. I remember youth’s clumsy hands against my body; hot breath, sticky protestations of love. I do not desire my inconvenient husband and yet my mind is full of our fumblings. Of the lover for whom I burned, for whom I opened like a rosebud in the sun, I am left with no memories. The traps I laid for the callow youth, each dismantled by my earnest lover, I laid with my heart’s own longing. Each trap was sidestepped but the one that caught me tight.

From my WIP, Dance of the Burning Men:

Gwen scanned the crowd. They were arrayed in sprawling lines, a clumsy mockery of neat rows and columns. Ogham had said she’d recognize the others by their eyes; a nice specific piece of advice, that. She supposed she could go ‘round and stare into all the eyes of her classmates. That wouldn’t be at all hard to explain. Hang on, just let me check to see if you’ve eyes to see the underbelly of the world, all right? Oh, certes. She’d make a lot of friends using that tack.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I don't know if it is my best one but it's one of my favorites. The line is from my medieval novel, The First Vial. An old guy in the kitchen is complaining about the new cook being a woman and how much he liked her husband who was cook before her.
"But she were ever railin' on 'im, 'til he fair leaped into 'is grave fer deliverance."
I like the word picture.
Linnea

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not actually a fan of my writing... But I liked this line:

The sheet over the man’s head was pale blue, I remember that. Not a beautiful blue that would ruin early morning skies for the rest of your life, but a faded almost-gray blue, a giving-up blue, a color that would make you uneasy in hospital corridors.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
We were doing just great there in the back seat, her hands all over me, her hair still in curlers, her pants around her knees, until she told me her policy of 'No glove, no love.' I shoulda made her walk home.

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
For unforgettable imagery, this has always been one of my favorites. A woman returned home unexpectedly, opened the bedroom door and found her husband in bed with two women...

The girl in the bed raised her head in languid slow motion. As she did, a thin strand of drool attached to Michael’s p***s stretched out from her lip. After a moment, it broke and dribbled down her chest, glistening in the dim light. She stared at the doorway in a drugged stupor. Unlike the dancer, she seemed more confused than frightened.

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
From one of my completed works:

“That dragon seems awfully intent on her,” David commented, his voice wary. “You aren’t planning to eat her, are you?”

Varthikes snapped his head around so that both golden eyes were on him. Never! he replied emphatically at the same time. I like Human younglings. He glanced down at little Katie, then looked back at David and added as an after-thought, Out of my mouth.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
Here's my first contribution of the day.

Like a fighter pilot in an old war movie, before Ben shot into--well...she had no idea where that craft was shooting into, it just seemed to disappear--he had mouthed the words, “I love you.” A bit over the top melodramatic perhaps but he was likely convinced he was about to die.
The only response she could muster to this was, “You have nice teeth”.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
This putrid war has done nothing for the women of the South but left them widowed, homeless and broken in spirit from the loss of their children.”

Another line, from another story...

“You are a real son-of-a-bitch, aren’t you?

Last edited:

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
From my unfinished story, Touching the Blood

Bloated clouds sagged along the mountian's spine, spurting rain from their wounded bellies.

And from my WIP, given the part-time title of Waiver

Kid heard himself scream, heard his body clatter back against the bars. Dave rattled the locks. Opened the door. Kid tumbled to the floor and threw up.

They're not witty or anything, but they captured exactly what I was trying to say at that moment.

Last edited:

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
From my WIP:

The fat doctor walked out of the hallway and headed to the kitchen. But the way he walked intrigued me. He seemed to have the walking style of a duck and the appearance of a pot bellied pig!

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
This is one I wrote today. I like it, hope you do too:

They pried steel away from cushions and found what was left of Lukeman. It took them a while to figure out how his head got were it was.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I kind of like this one, some of which I added a few days ago. Setup: Linda thinks she's pregnant.

Worse still, she hadn’t started her period. It had been two weeks. So she made a side trip. On the passenger seat beside her lay a pharmacy bag. Inside was a pregnancy test. A plus for yes, a minus for no. Positive, negative. Happy, sad. Which one would it be?

writemywrong

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if we are referring to lines only from stories or from any piece of writing, so here is one of each...

"No amount of make-up could make up for how ugly your soul is! You're soulless!"

you're a vortex of emotions
a black hole where love goes to die
and I'm just one more victim pulled down
by the gravity of your lies

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
"Letting your arse decide what to do on the racetrack is like letting your dick decide what to do when you're drunk - you're bound to end up with something ugly."

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
From an autobiographical piece about WWII in a small town, "Billy's Field:"

We trooped down the road in shoes and socks, sweaters and jackets, carrying our virgin notebooks, pencils, pens and bottles of ink, a scrubbed platoon of condemned souls. As we shuffled past the white-gold waves of oats in Billy’s field I knew that coming home I would see only stubble, the shaven face of the field waiting for the first kiss of snow.