Submission vs Query

Al Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for an agent for my first manuscript. Most agents have submission guidelines and I understand them reasonably well. Forum members frequently mention "queries". Would someone please explain this term and how it differs from a submission

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for an agent for my first manuscript. Most agents have submission guidelines and I understand them reasonably well. Forum members frequently mention "queries". Would someone please explain this term and how it differs from a submission

Most agents require a "query" letter as the initial stage of the submission process. If the query sounds interesting, they will request a partial/full manuscript and possibly the synopsis. The manuscript is considered the "submission" while the query letter is just that, a query. (And not to be confused with a cover letter - which is usually something along the lines of "Here is that thing you wanted to see. My contact info is blahblahblah. Thank you for your time.")

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
A query is a short letter or e-mail pitching your book. Most submissions to agents and publishers are queries, and what they contain depends on what the agent wants to see.

Some queries have a synopsis. Some don't. Many agents want to see a sample of your manuscript, like the first chapter, first ten pages, or whatever is in their guidelines. I've submitted queries to a few that wanted me to upload the whole manuscript online (rare).

The key point to remember is to deliver what they want to see, according to their guidelines. And guidelines differ.

Al Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Aggy and Tom. I think I get it. I'll just prepare a submission according to the agent's guidelines.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Al, writing a query letter is a very specific skill. Before you start, go to our Query Letter Hell room and read the sticky threads there, and seek out the QueryShark blog which will give you more information.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Aggy and Tom. I think I get it. I'll just prepare a submission according to the agent's guidelines.

I'm not sure about this, being Australian and all, but just in case - as I understand it Al, I think most agents are assuming a query letter along with the submission, even if they don't specify.

Am I right about that, people?

Thought I'm mention it, just in case. Tell me if I'm wrong - I can delete this post.

Good luck with your subs, Al.

ETA: Oh - I see Aggy B. said it earlier.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

Where are you based, Al? The term query is only widely used in the US -- in the UK, for example, "covering letters" serve a similar purpose to queries.

Al Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Toronto Canada so maybe we use the UK term "cover letter". Indeed most agents and publishers do seem to ask for this. I was thinking of, "Please find enclosed my submission ...", but I now understand there's more to it than that. I guess I'd better go to Query Letter Hell....scary!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Toronto Canada so maybe we use the UK term "cover letter". Indeed most agents and publishers do seem to ask for this. I was thinking of, "Please find enclosed my submission ...", but I now understand there's more to it than that. I guess I'd better go to Query Letter Hell....scary!

Scary doesn't even begin to describe it...

Al Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Oops! I just remembered that Aggy said Queries are not to be confused with cover letters.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Oops! I just remembered that Aggy said Queries are not to be confused with cover letters.

I did say that. In the US a query is kind of a pitch for the novel (catchy but brief synopsis, publishing/biographical info, salutation and contact info) and a cover letter is just what you said. "For your consideration, here is my novel The Big Cheese, of approximately 1 million words. Thank you for your time."

But I don't know if that terminology is different in Canada. (Since EMaree is saying that covering letter/query letter in the UK are the same thing.)

Some agents link to articles about how to format the materials they want, perhaps that could help you figure out which type of letter they want?

Finis

Registered
Reaction score
Interestingly enough (maybe not) I originally came here from queryshark looking for help brushing up my own query and submissions. I've been spending the past week trying to build up my post count until I'm allowed to post a new thread. I've been trying my hand (new as it is) at helping people with their queries, and it really is a new skill set. Nearly every time I go line edit someone's query I open up my own and fix a similar mistake.

I would really advise sticking your head in and seeing what it's all about and letting them (us?) take a whack at it. Maybe even helping out other people.

Hopefully when I finally post mine in QLH, it'll be "pretty close" and not "disembowel yourself with your pen now, you bring shame upon the name of Writer!"

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I did say that. In the US a query is kind of a pitch for the novel (catchy but brief synopsis, publishing/biographical info, salutation and contact info) and a cover letter is just what you said. "For your consideration, here is my novel The Big Cheese, of approximately 1 million words. Thank you for your time."

But I don't know if that terminology is different in Canada. (Since EMaree is saying that covering letter/query letter in the UK are the same thing.)

Some agents link to articles about how to format the materials they want, perhaps that could help you figure out which type of letter they want?

Nicola Morgan has a series of books (especially "Dear Agent") that cover the UK style of covering letters much better than I can, including a break down of what all goes into the letter.

A UK covering/cover letter also contains a pitch sentence (or pitch paragraph) that serves the same purpose as the plot summary in a US query. It's also more focussed on formalities than a US query letter is.

I've had a good experience submitting in the UK using a modified version of a US query -- slimmed down plot (2 short paragraphs), and more formalities. I went against the standard 1 paragraph pitch that's recommended, but the UK agents I spoke to were easy-going about the letter formatting and just wanted something short (1 page max), interesting, and clear to read.

In my experience the biggest difference between UK and US is: UK agents are known for making their decision based on the sample chapters rather than the letter, but in the US you can be rejected on the query alone.