The Bouncy Castle in Space

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, No, Joy! I hope they get it out with little trauma. I remember the hallway at the children's ward of the hospital in Louisville, Kentucky. The things they took out of kids is unbelievable. I snorted a tiny pair of dice up my nose once, but I blew really hard and got them both out. Scared the pee wadding out of me, you can bet.

On another train - teacher isn't budging on the zero for refusal to work with the group. Even though his first goal in his IEP is to be able to work in a group and interact appropriately with his peers. I'm getting frustrated.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No way, sissy! The display I was talking about is at Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville. I bet we're thinking of the same display. :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
sissy, how much will the zero affect his total grade? That might make a difference in how much you want to continue fighting it.

Joy, yesterday we had guest readers visiting every class. One of fourth grades was visited by a local pediatrician. Apparently he had some good stories about things up noses--like the girl who was dripping bright blue snot from the jellybean she'd shoved up there--and did a little show-and-tell with the long hooked thingy they stick up the nose to pull things out...

Hope the pea finds its way out soon.

There was a man on an episode of "Oddities" who is a freak show performer. His signature move is that he has stretched out his tear ducts so much that he can snort up things like dried beans into his nose and squeeze them out through his eyes.

Maybe your kiddo is just starting his career as an entertainer....?!

For the election, my students voted for their favorite PB character. Gerald and Piggie beat out the Pigeon by one vote. Though it would have been a tie if one child hadn't stuck their ballot in the wrong place, so I didn't find it until after the polls had closed.

Butterbean

This boy just ain't right
Registered
Reaction score
Robstown,Texas..Birthplace of Texas hold 'em
Website
www.storiesfrommikeysworld.com
Yikes, Joy. The children's hospital here has a large display of objects that have been removed from children, with a little tag that says the part of the body the object was removed from. It's remarkable what kids are able to fit up their noses.

Hello everybody, :hi:I'm trying to get back in the groove so I can around here a little more.

That's an odd but kinda of cool collection.

People collect the strangest things. I have a customer in the septic tank business, he collects small children's toys he discovers at the bottom of the tanks after he pumps them out. He has them seperated on the walls in his office, McDonalds toys, cars, little action figures etc...

YUCK!

He also has a drawer full of rings, watches, gold coins etc...

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Joy, pea-pocalypse sounds so scary. Poor thing. I can't imagine what that must feel like for her. I hope everything goes well tomorrow!

How funny - Smish and sissy - small world!

Sissy - so sorry about the stubborn teacher. That sucks.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Smish - I don't recall the name, but it's probably the same. We were living in Radcliffe and a friend delivered four months prematurely. I went down to Louisville several times with her to sit in the nursery while she tended him. He was so tiny, but the one that amazed me was the little girl who was the smallest they'd ever had to have an appendectomy right after birth. Her little arms and legs were like pencils, but she was a healthy one, other than the appendix, of course.

I just remember that long hallway with all the frames along the wall and the bizarre contents. Many of the items had been ingested, but there were many others that hadn't.

It's neat that we've been in the same place at different times, and now we are together here. Gives me warm fuzzies.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
An incident with a peanut up my child's nose eventually inspired a whole chapter of my current MG book. Amazing what comes back to inspire your writing years later.

In case anyone is wondering, a peanut is pretty hard to remove from a toddler's nose (and expensive), but a marble is apparently the absolute worst.

The things you learn in the ER....

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
That pea sounds like a stubborn nose-squatter. Good luck with extraction!

Update: managed to refine sample chapter down to 1,200 words EXACTLY - here's hoping it's as comically humourous and action-packed as they wanted! I'd love to write the entire thing and FINALLY launch my writing career...!

Wish me luck.

Dave

Last edited:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
My cousin actually shoved a dime up her nose. She didn't tell anyone (knowing her she probably forgot all about it). But eventually her mother finally figured out where the odd smell was coming from. In those days the doctor came to the house, and he basically hog-tied her in the kitchen floor and got it out. I don't like to remember that particular episode, but it was the reason I sniffed the dice up my nose. I just didn't believe something like that could actually go up your nose.

MorganMarshall

I keep my head firmly in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
That pea sounds like a stubborn nose-squatter. Good luck with extraction!

Update: managed to refine sample chapter down to 1,200 words EXACTLY - here's hoping it's as comically humourous and action-packed as they wanted! I'd love to write the entire thing and FINALLY launch my writing career...!

Wish me luck.

Dave

Good luck! That sounds exciting! :snoopy:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

I splashed water on my laptop last night... I thought I'd only gotten water on the table and cleaned it up in time, but then the computer made this scary little sizzling sound... and another one... and another one... and now the screen is super dark. Not completely black, but too dark to actually read.

It's a pretty ancient MacBook, probably too old to be worth repairing. But I have to get it repaired in some form or another if I want to recover the data on it--pictures of my kids when they were still cute, notes for WIPS that never got transferred to the flash drive. I did backup all the important writing, so no panic. But... I really don't have the money to replace it right now. I do have my old PowerMac desktop, so I'm not completely computerless.

But I do feel like an idiot.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

I splashed water on my laptop last night... I thought I'd only gotten water on the table and cleaned it up in time, but then the computer made this scary little sizzling sound... and another one... and another one... and now the screen is super dark. Not completely black, but too dark to actually read.

It's a pretty ancient MacBook, probably too old to be worth repairing. But I have to get it repaired in some form or another if I want to recover the data on it--pictures of my kids when they were still cute, notes for WIPS that never got transferred to the flash drive. I did backup all the important writing, so no panic. But... I really don't have the money to replace it right now. I do have my old PowerMac desktop, so I'm not completely computerless.

But I do feel like an idiot.

It's probably cheaper to hook it up to an external monitor to get your data off it, rather than get it repaired. Also, did you turn it upside down to dry? Sometimes electronics come back to life after a dunking when they dry all the way.

Joy, we are on the edge of our seats. How did the saga of the pea turn out?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're not an idiot Judy. That would be the person who hasn't backed up her work. Er, gotta go . . .

I never back up my work. I know. It's shameful. Once in a blue moon, I email my work to myself. But it's rare. And I have lost lots of work. When I got a new computer a few years ago, I just abandoned all the work that was on my old computer. They were trunked projects, so I figured I wasn't really losing anything, but I suppose I could have returned to them someday.

Do you guys just save to flash drives? Or do you have an online backup (like mozy)?

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, Judy, how awful. When my daughter's cell phone got wet, we buried it in a bowl of rice to absorb the moisture, and it started working again. I don' t know if that will work with a laptop. It would take a lot of rice.

Smish, I use Dropbox. I like having one less thing to worry about.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Dying to hear about the pea, Joy!?

Judy - how awful for you. But I'm in the same boat with Smish. Never quite seem to get around to backing up, because I'm not sure how to save to a flash drive. Can you save once, and then plug it back in and save more on it later? I really need to take some classes or something.

I remember when our computer crashed, my husband took it to the guy who built it, and he somehow retrieved all of my word files for me. That was before I had my laptop, and I had never backed up anything. I don't know how they can do it when the hard drive is fried, but they can. Kind of scary to know that if you've ever given away or thrown out an old unit.

I hope it all turns out well for you. My husband's on a ladder again and we've got 40 mile an hour winds, so I have to go!

Butterbean

This boy just ain't right
Registered
Reaction score
Robstown,Texas..Birthplace of Texas hold 'em
Website
www.storiesfrommikeysworld.com
I'm not sure how to save to a flash drive. Can you save once, and then plug it back in and save more on it later?

Hello Sissy, to answer your question, yes you can save and plug it back in and save more later. I work off flash drives only and just save changes as I go. I don't save anything to my computer.

I also take tons of pictures and save all of them to different flash drives. One for each of the boys baseball and school event pictures, and another for family trips and just misc pics.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks, Butterbean. I need to go buy a few - especially great idea for the pics. hadn't thought of that, either.

Speaking of pics, we've been sweeping leaves today in the 40-50 mph breeze. I wanted to share a couple of pics, but can't figure out how to paste them into this box.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Oh, thanks for all the inquiries! The pea is out!! We had to go to the ENT at Children's Hospital and they had lots of fancy equipment and got it out in about a minute. Can't wait to get all the bills. :scared:

They gave him a stuffed bull at the doctor's office, and my daughter named it Ottery St. Catchbull. Who's a big enough kidlit nerd to know that reference?

Judy, I am SO SO sorry about your computer. Ugh. FWIW, I also had water spilled on a MacBook and we took it in to the Apple Store and told them what had happened. They were so stunned that we told the truth - because I guess apparently water spilling is not under warrantee and a lot of people spill water and then lie and say something else happened, even though as soon as they open up the computer, they can tell it was water - that they did the $800 repair for free. So you could try taking it in and being up front, but I'm sure it depends on the person who attends you.

For backup, I have an external hard drive and use my Mac's Time Machine to back up periodically - but not as often as I should.

And Sissy, for putting photos on message boards, I like using Photobucket (which is a website, not a software).

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks, Butterbean. I need to go buy a few - especially great idea for the pics. hadn't thought of that, either.

Speaking of pics, we've been sweeping leaves today in the 40-50 mph breeze. I wanted to share a couple of pics, but can't figure out how to paste them into this box.

Glad to hear about the pea!

Sissy, you have to host your pics at an online site first like photobucket or imageshack, which is free, then you put the link in as an a image link.