Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Talltree

Good readers make good writers
Registered
Reaction score
Inspired by our last question, no less. We may actually be running the risk of having a theme here.

If you could visit any fictional land, where would you go?

:D

Well, I don't know if it cand be considered a separate fictional land, but I've always wanted to visit, explore and (possibly do a guest lecture in ) Hogwarts.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

Seeing as we are all writers here, or at least aspiring writers, I thought I'd ask a writing-related question:

What's the one genre you've always wanted to try to write, but isn't the genre you normally write for?

:e2writer:

For example, I normally stick to horror and/or sci-fi, but I've always wanted to pen either a western or a historical fiction piece along the lines of James Fenimore Cooper.

I like Western movies, but for some reason have never attempted to write in that genre. Yet.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my fiction, 3 or 4 chapters into it, but I love to write on my blog more. Any ideas on how to get back to my work?

Pick something in a different genre. Keep it short. Get it finished while thinking in new directions.

And then answer the question here and tell us about it.

no-man's-land

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie Question-of-the-Week ?

Do yo find Shakespeare dull and boring?

mugwort

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.societyfordaintydamsels.com

That's a hard question since I don't like either choice. To me its like being questioned. What do you prefer more. Laying on a bed or nails or being dropped in acid. Okay here's my choice. Deep in the ocean. At least I won't be wasting my time like NASA is doing with the space program. There's enough problems on earth like homelessness, finding cures or treatments for diseases, the environment. My question is can the Space program help these issues and can they do it more efficiently than other methods.

sparnols

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie Question-of-the-Week ?

I do believe that whether or not a person is intrested in his writing is all in the interpretations of it. If you are one of those people who understand his language it can be beautiful, whitty, tragic and inspireing.

no-man's-land

Registered
Reaction score
I do believe that whether or not a person is intrested in his writing is all in the interpretations of it. If you are one of those people who understand his language it can be beautiful, whitty, tragic and inspireing.

Well a key word is "interpretation". My local library offers Shakespeare's books with one page written in Shakespeare language and on the following page the nowadays English translation of the same text of the previous page.

BlackHeart

Registered
Reaction score
I like it...

Jovial and inviting. Just the thing for someone like me, who doesn't know where to begin most always, so I don't. Thanks for that.

To answer the question: Space. Definately space.

Why? I'm sure there are some cool things yet to discover in the murky depths and the opaque beyond, but we already have some concept of what we'll find, and chances are slim to none we'll be higher on the evolutionary scale than what lies beneath. Whatever's down there probably won't have any profound knowledge to impart or insights to share. Either way, the more inspiring we find it, the more we'll exploit it- drain it till there's nothing left but an empty shell of what once was. It's what we do.

No, give me the complete unknown. Something that holds the hope of making us less wicked. Something we can't conceive...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seeing as we are all writers here, or at least aspiring writers, I thought I'd ask a writing-related question:

What's the one genre you've always wanted to try to write, but isn't the genre you normally write for?

So does this mean your answer is period 16th century sonnets and plays?

sparnols

Registered
Reaction score
Well a key word is "interpretation". My local library offers Shakespeare's books with one page written in Shakespeare language and on the following page the nowadays English translation of the same text of the previous page.

This is true. I guess I'm one of those that prefer the origional versions. I do actually own the Complete Illistrated Shakespere. I bought it when my oldest was doing an essay on him in school so that he would understand what he was reading. Well that was my exscuse anyway and I am sticking to it.

sparnols

Registered
Reaction score

Thats easy Crime/Thriller.

sparnols

Registered
Reaction score
And what genre is it you normally write in?

:e2writer:

Poetry or Paranormal. I have a degree in crimal justice however and am inrigued by the criminal mind. still no matter how many times I try, It just does not come to life as it should.

Brendargh

Registered
Reaction score

I greatly admire Neal Stephenson and William Gibson for their ability to tie a lot of research into complex stories. I normally write fantasy or horror, but I would love to write a cyberpunk or alternate history novel someday.

SleepAbsence

Registered
Reaction score

This is tough. I think a cultural narrative like Cisneros writes or Isabel Allende. With a bit of romance but also a cultural voice that is Latino/a in nature.

As for Shakespeare, I mostly like it; except for the Henry plays, I tend to be partial to the comedies but I also appreciate tragedies like Hamlet.