I HATE MY NEIGHBORS

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My aunt owns the house I live in. Since she bought this house, there has been a never ending stream of neighbors who think they have the right to tell her what she is and isn't allowed to do with her property. They fully believe they have the right to use her property at will.

She has repeatedly told them to get off her property, told them to get bent etc.

Now I have a more umm, testy nature than my aunt. One reason I have a fireball chucking woman as my idol and avatar.

Last straw came for me this morning. My aunt let me know that yesterday one of our neighbors informed her that she had to have OUR car out of OUR driveway by 8 in the morning because the neighbor is having landscaping work and the landscapers will be parking in our driveway for the day.

The neighbor then adds my aunt will have to find a place to park on the street. Given the congestion in this city finding street parking is an impossible task in-and-of-itself. Oh and Thursday, the day our neighbor has deemed our off limits to us is street sweeping day. Any car park on the street will be tagged and towed.

Now once my aunt old me this I EXPLODED!!! I am so sick of the fucking people around us trying to take control of my aunt's property. I think the neighbor might very well have heard my reaction to this. I think they heard me in Guam.

I will be moving our car to the end of our driveway tomorrow morning, thus blocking any access to it.

I HATE THESE PEOPLE
smiley-violent087.gif
lightning.gif
:flamethrower:deadhorse:sword

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You might want to at least drop a call to the local police station to explain the problem. Then if there is any trouble from the neighbors or their contractor they arrive knowing what the deal is.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of place do you live in that the neighbours feel they can dictate this sort of thing? Is it a detached home with private driveway, duplex with shared driveway, co-op? Does your aunt sometimes acquiesce to the neighbours' wishes, thereby having set a precident?

Never give in to unreasonable demands or you'll forever be a dupe. Sorry you have to deal with this nonsense. I've had bad neighbours and can relate.

FreeWhistler

Cookie monster
Registered
Reaction score
I have the greatest neighbors. They keep to themselves. I keep to myself. Sometimes we wave. It's perfect. ^_^

thehairymob

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Why don't you go to the neighbours and make some of your own demands like they need to build and pay for a new pool in your back yard. :evil

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Definitely park the car in the driveway and stand your ground.

I bet they won't pay for the ticket if your car gets tagged or towed, so... let them worry about where the landscapers are going to park.

And yes, a phone call to the police might help. Although I suspect the neighbors are too cowardly to take it to the next level, since they've got no legal right to ask for anything.

I'd also explain to your aunt that legally, it's very dangerous to let them do anything they want on her/your property. If they get injured or someone else does, bet you dollars to donuts they'll file a huge lawsuit against you/your aunt.

Good neighbors = high fence.

just my thoughts...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My thought was that you might want the police clued in if the contractor tries to squeeze past and damages the car, or something like that.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and support.

I didn't even think about the legal ramifications of them parking here and having an accident or injury, thanks for that heads up, Sheryl.

CaroGirl we live a single family home detached and completely independent from our neighbors houses and property. Makes their audacity even more galling.

thehairymob, love the pool idea :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My thought was that you might want the police clued in if the contractor tries to squeeze past and damages the car, or something like that.

Fortunately, it's a one car wide driveway so if I have the car at the end of the driveway, it's blocked completely.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl we live a single family home detached and completely independent from our neighbors houses and property. Makes their audacity even more galling.
Yes, it does!

I like the liability/potential lawsuit issue. If they bring it up again, say you can't possibly allow it and suggest the landscapers park on their front lawn.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds neighbors are just strutting their "power." Any contractor is used to having to deal with tight spaces, tight parking, having to maneuver around obstacles. The contractors will manage just fine.

Boy, these neighbors are a piece of ... work.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
do not move that car or i will hit you myself.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't even conceive of how far up their own asses your neighbors must be to think that they own the rights to use your driveway! That's total madness.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. You guys rock!!!!!!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Um, NO. Your neighbors can park THEIR car on the street so the landscapers can park on THEIR driveway, thank you. Sheryl brought up an excellent point on the liability issue -- you don't want to be responsible if someone gets hurt. I also agree with calling the police to give them a heads-up in case they raise a stink. Good luck.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I hate your neighbors too.

Don't move the car. They can fuck themselves to death.

And I know what you mean about being more... outspoken than some family members. My mother has historically been a pushover. (She's better than she was.) But sometimes she'll tell me about something that she just bowed to, rather than cause a scene, or cause tension... I really, really dislike people like the ones you're describing, who just assume upon people. My user title is not a lie. Those people generally hear from me.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I'm pissed off just thinking about it.

<------hates Regdog's neighbors even more the more he thinks of it.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Last straw came for me this morning. My aunt let me know that yesterday one of our neighbors informed her that she had to have OUR car out of OUR driveway by 8 in the morning because the neighbor is having landscaping work and the landscapers will be parking in our driveway for the day.

Wow! That takes some serious gall. What part of YOUR driveway do they not understand?

I will be moving our car to the end of our driveway tomorrow morning, thus blocking any access to it.

Good for you! Why the bloody hell can't THEIR landscapers park in THEIR driveway?

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Or, let them use the driveway and then send them an invoice. Invoice them when you have the grass cut, your guttering cleaned, your fence painted, anything external you can think of. If they want to use your aunt's property, they can share in the cost of its upkeep.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I'm pissed off just thinking about it.

<------hates Regdog's neighbors even more the more he thinks of it.

Thanks

Wow! That takes some serious gall. What part of YOUR driveway do they not understand?

Good for you! Why the bloody hell can't THEIR landscapers park in THEIR driveway?

I wondered that myself

Or, let them use the driveway and then send them an invoice. Invoice them when you have the grass cut, your guttering cleaned, your fence painted, anything external you can think of. If they want to use your aunt's property, they can share in the cost of its upkeep.

I like it :D

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If your neighbors give you any more grief concerning demands on your property, have a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter. Any letter sent from a lawyer usually gets a person's attention. Our lawyer told us just to send our neighbor, who was dumping her tree cuttings, plant material, and dirty cat box litter on our property, a letter with his name cc'd in. Once they know you have legal representation, they usually back off.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
By the way, regdog, we're also gonna need you to clear out your freezer, as we're going hunting next week-end and will need the extra space for the venison. Feel free to drop off a key to your house at your leisure...as long as you do it today between 4 and 4:15.