Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Linky worked. I love these pieces! The curly weaving is gorgeous.

The necklace or the bracelet?

I let myself play with both of them. The bracelet was supposed to be flat disks but when they started bunching up, I went with it.

The necklace is a beta piece. Had it in my head forever, but never put it together. Pretty pleased with it, as there is very little I'd change. It's heavy though and will seat nicely around the neck.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I was wondering how you guys deal with wire-based necklaces. i worry that they are a garroting risk! I put magnetic clasps on them but that won't work with heavier pieces. Am I just being to paranoid and a lobster clasp will be fine?

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory:
I don't work much with wire. So I can't answer, but I don't see much difference between it and some of the beadwork I do. Mostly the joins on the claps will let go before the individual gets choked.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory do you mean using wire as the chain or twisting the wire as the necklace itself?
I used to bead more but I've been too busy lately. And this little bead store I would go to just closed :( I loved going there but I guess they weren't getting enough customers.

Btw: I'm typing on a small iPod screen so I apologize for any mistakes...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I mean that a lot of my basic necklaces are based on a single piece of strong wire that wouldn't break if an elephant pulled on it. So the only break point is the clasp. I worry that if the clasp was in a certain position it might not make a good "break point". For example if it somehow got caught. Most are choker length so it isn't a high risk, but i have been thinking about this as a strong wire can cut in even if pulled only moderately hard.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Veinglory, most clasp loops will give way before the necklace can do more than pinch. Obviously, the higher-quality findings will be a bit stronger.

The weakest point will almost always be the loops on the findings, no matter what clasp style. If they are soldered shut, the silver, brass, or steel will have to distort and break, which can take some force. If they have a little gap, to be closed with a pair of pliers, then they'll open easily with a strong pull.

Shadowflame, B&B magazine had an article a year or so ago about twisty bead ropes. Did you ever see it? If not, I can scan it and send it if you PM me. And I like both, the necklace and the bracelet.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory, most clasp loops will give way before the necklace can do more than pinch. Obviously, the higher-quality findings will be a bit stronger.

The weakest point will almost always be the loops on the findings, no matter what clasp style. If they are soldered shut, the silver, brass, or steel will have to distort and break, which can take some force. If they have a little gap, to be closed with a pair of pliers, then they'll open easily with a strong pull.

Shadowflame, B&B magazine had an article a year or so ago about twisty bead ropes. Did you ever see it? If not, I can scan it and send it if you PM me. And I like both, the necklace and the bracelet.

I probably didn't see it as I don't have a subscription anymore and Walmart doesn't carry the mags very frequently.

The Necklace is done on a variation of a RAW done vertically for the base. After the base is complete, then do a layer of 3 beads per crossing, over that do 5 then 7, you can even do a layer of 9 over that if you feel it needs more fluff. It produces the wave/ripple that looks so lovely. I'll try to get a better photo of it later today.

The bracelet is a pretty common peyote stitch. make a ring with 2 beads in 4 colors x4 (32 beads in the first loop) First row, offset the color so that it will produce a spiral and add 1 bead per stitch. Second row add 2 beads. Third row 1 bead. fourth row 1 bead. Fifth row 3 beads. Sixth row 1 bead, weave tales in. Attach where you feel like you want.
Pretty sure that after row 3 if I added 2 beads it would lay flat but I liked the texture of the loops when it began to curl. :D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow is a happy girl. She just got an order for something besides writing. -- a necklace. One of my other obsessions. and yes, I will get paid for it! WOOT!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Whew. I just rebuilt a necklace from 15 years ago. It was clunky and irregular the first time, but I was too in love with it to see its flaws. They got too much for me finally, so I ripped the sucker apart. Changed a stiff peyote-stitch chain for a supple right-angle weave chain. Added a cabochon at center, and made the original center a drop. A new toggle clasp. Much more detail in the chain.

Now, I'm happy with it.
Cranejewelry--Blue-greenDichronecklace.jpg

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Except that, looking at it just now, I had an epiphany to make the damn
toggle easier: attach the loop BEFORE I sew the peyote-stitch rectangle around the wooden form! Gee, I'll bet that will be much nicer to sew. Broke a needle on this one, trying to bend through the tightly-woven beads.

I'm slow, but I get there eventually. That could actually be my mantra for writing, too.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice Filigree.

Finished a spiral rope choker and bracelet this weekend. Be taking photos tonight then sending it to the customer tomorrow. :D
Working on another necklace, and have plans for more

Oh and now B has a job, we will probably be setting up my torch again later. I'll be making BEADS again!:snoopy:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Speaking of beads, oh joy, I just decided I need to add about a kilo of dark-green glass beads to a formal-dress wrap I'm wearing in two weeks. It has one line of glittery beads near the bottom hem, but I think it needs some more. All handwork, sewn the regulation two or three times through the hole before moving on to the next bead.

But it looks hot on me, and more glitter will be fun.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Hot damn! BEADS. When you get the torch set up, can I commission you to make some beads for me? I've always want to learn lampwork, but it's not in the cards or budget right now.

of course :D

I'll let you know when we get it set up, but expect a bit of delay as i relearn skills. It's been a few years.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely understand that. I had no bead and art supply fund for so very long. Glad things are loosening up. :D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
and speaking of bead and art monies, I just spent a bit of cash on BEADS! for the first time in a very long time. (So very glad B has a job now)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I will have cash, but no time, since the day job just amped up. I am, however, making a necklace as a thank-you gift for my agent. Similar to the green one I just posted, but in blue and purple.

And sniffling, since my projects lately have kept me in mind of Cactus Wendy, whom I didn't know well enough even though we lived in the same state.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean about Wendy. :( Had to look back at what she had posted in this thread. She will be greatly missed.
Sometimes we think we have all the time in the world.

My body is going crazy. It now thinks that 4 am is a good time to be awake. No I can't write at that time, so looks like it will now be my designated beading time. (or play with the cat time as he sees me awake in bed and wants to play)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Shadowflame, these are gorgeous. Have you ever sent any work into the 'Your Work' section of Bead & Button Magazine, or to Fire Mountain Gems for one of their contests? You should.

Thank you

and no, I've never done that. Guess I'm too shy to put my work that far out. But maybe I should. ;)