A Life of Crime and Chocolate

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: everyone. I've been quiet, as this has been a horrible week. My beloved cat died on Wednesday. Still trying to get my head around it.

For a distraction, we're having 50-60 people for the boy's birthday party today... :rolleyes: We never do things halfway around here.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Condolences ((((((( HJ )))))))

HOLY
( K MacVitie)
The peace and joy you give me, no words can ever tell,
The lessons that you teach me, in my heart will always dwell,
Your purrs bring forth divinity, to comfort, heal and bless,
Wondrous being, praise to you for your gracious loveliness.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, I got some writing done today. Just a little though. I really hope my story is going okay, and that pacing isn't too weird.

--

I did get a lot of school work done. At least I hope I did. :D I'll probably be wrapped up with a lot of it this week so, yeah.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I
On the one hand, it's so quiet here! :hooray:

On the other hand, it's so quiet here! :cry:

I know exactly what you mean. My two London (UK) daughters went back yesterday - after a two week holiday here. It's a strange sort of quiet. Sort of sadly, wonderfully, beautifully peaceful. But I get to mess up their space in December. :D

:hi: everyone. I've been quiet, as this has been a horrible week. My beloved cat died on Wednesday. Still trying to get my head around it.

For a distraction, we're having 50-60 people for the boy's birthday party today... :rolleyes: We never do things halfway around here.

Aw :( Sorry you're going through that. :Hug2:

The start of my trip, I lost my wallet in a service station. Now, as I have been told, my money had been stolen.

:(

Having anything stolen from you is horrible. (And boy, do I know what that feels like!)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Okay.

When I took this new job, my biggest reservation was that it was for a brand-new software project in a company that does very little software. I was the first person, besides the manager, being hired on to the team, and I was concerned about the possibility of the project getting redefined or canceled.

This is the beginning of Week 8, and my worst fears are coming true. (Well, maybe not my WORST fears - they haven't decided they didn't need me after all, and thrown me out). But when I was interviewed, the manager told me he was going to be hiring 14 people. When I was hired, he told me that number was now 5. Now - he's got one more person starting on the 11th, and that's it.

Two of us. And neither of us has expertise in the area that is, in my opinion, the most critical piece in the whole puzzle.

Add to that the fact that I'm not actually writing any software all day - I am reading user manuals for commercial-grade electrical equipment, and I'm being asked to take their contents and convert them into PowerPoint slides that are essentially lists of the control points of each piece of equipment. There are hundreds of these in each piece of equipment, and there are probably 30 different types of equipment left on my list.

Each pass through this nonsense takes me about 3 days. So if I do the math...hm. 30 times 3 days each, divided by 5 days a work week, that's...18 weeks. Four and a half months.

Of writing no software.

Which is what I was HIRED TO DO.

I don't want to look like I'm job-hopping; but seriously, this is terrible. If I stay too much longer, the damage to my resume is going to be really, really bad. Never mind the fact that slogging through hardware specs - when I have NO hardware background - is turning my brain into oatmeal, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting a lot of it wrong.

I'm tempted to ask my headhunter how long I have to stay before he gets his kickback, and tell him to start looking for me the day after that.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
That sucks, Liz; I hope it all finds a way to work out. :Hug2:

--

Well, I tried to write a little bit today. However, I just feel completely disconnected from my characters/my main character. No matter what POV I write in, it just comes off as distant. Or it would be distant. And I don't know how to fix it yet. (I suppose that's why multiple drafts are there but still; it's irritating me.)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow, liz, that's awful. :( Definitely start looking.

Mitchell and Gail, we're just glad that you guys weren't hurt!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That sucks, Liz; I hope it all finds a way to work out. :Hug2:

Thank you. :)

Well, I tried to write a little bit today. However, I just feel completely disconnected from my characters/my main character. No matter what POV I write in, it just comes off as distant. Or it would be distant. And I don't know how to fix it yet. (I suppose that's why multiple drafts are there but still; it's irritating me.)

:Hug2: I know how frustrating this can be. On the other hand, you're right - that's why multiple drafts are there. :) And I've often found, after I let something sit for a few weeks (or months!), that the stuff I thought was just awful coming out really isn't so bad. Some of my favorite lines have come from days when I was just going through the motions to hit my word count.

You're your own worst critic sometimes.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I know how frustrating this can be. On the other hand, you're right - that's why multiple drafts are there. :) And I've often found, after I let something sit for a few weeks (or months!), that the stuff I thought was just awful coming out really isn't so bad. Some of my favorite lines have come from days when I was just going through the motions to hit my word count.

You're your own worst critic sometimes.

Thanks. This probably won't be the only the draft of this, especially if I decide there is some kind of potential with it. So, hopefully, I'll be able to work out all of the "kinks" and problems that I'm currently having with it. I'm the beginning stages of getting back to writing. This is going to take some time.