Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that video earlier today, thought it was real. I guess I'm glad it wasn't. :tongue

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that video earlier today, thought it was real. I guess I'm glad it wasn't. :tongue

I saw it too. I was going to post a link, but the one a friend posted on fb had NSFW language in the caption.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yes... I do wish my mother had told me that before I watched it in front of my kiddo. :D

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hey, all things being equal, eagles need to eat too, yanno..

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
:( Those dumbasses should be out there everyday waiting to see if she comes back. Then again, little good that will do. *sigh* I know that the rangers are aware of it, but isn't there someone else you could call? Maybe you could call their office and tell whoever is in charge that they loused up the job and that they need someone that knows what they're doing out there to save that bird's life. :Shrug: It's a shame that it'll die when there's still time and the means to save it. I'm sure it visits that same spot often.

I followed up with the rangers today. They said the bird is a resident and will eventually come to shore when she weakens, where she will then be easily captured and taken to a sanctuary to recover. They acted as if she'd appear before long with her wings raised in defeat, begging for help.

I didn't buy that for a minute. And their soothing tone as they tried to dismiss my concerns irked me to no end.

I don't want to cause trouble for them, but there will be some price to pay over their half-ass attempt to rescue the anhinga if she should perish. And I told them as much, so we'll see what happens.
:hooray: I wasn't sure if I should post them since I wasn't taking the photos in person, but they are live. And I really don't have much else to contribute to this thread. :/
Are you kidding? You're always so supportive and thoughtful and inspiring in this thread, and it wouldn't be nearly as interesting without your input.

You should share the link (again) to the Africam site. If you don't, I will! ;)

Here's an interesting story with video of a flying beast allegedly coming in for a food grab - perhaps Silver King could (among other possible comments) make a good identification of this being an eagle or an osprey:

It's hard to tell for sure but looks like an osprey, only a super-sized version several times it's normal dimensions. Or perhaps the bird is normal sized, and the people in the scene and other objects have been shrunk way down.

Either way, the clip is pretty funny. I mean, can you imagine raptors swooping in and snatching children like that? Well, maybe it's not that funny, but I know a few kids I wouldn't mind seeing taken in that fashion...

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda like the super-sized osprey that carried you away earlier this year? ;)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda like the super-sized osprey that carried you away earlier this year? ;)
Yes, like that one. But my experience was for reals!

Some fast moving cormorants that made me think of Lisa (Medievalist) at the time: :)

12-18-12165-SM.jpg

12-18-12184-SM.jpg

12-18-12079-SM.jpg

12-18-12173-SM.jpg

12-18-12174-SM.jpg

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score

So, uh, did the deer make it out alive? Are your pants still clean?

um...sorry. My bad. :D Yes, my pants are still clean!

I got so rapt up in keeping an eye on the stupid deer that I didn't make it back in here. The deer (I'm not sure what species maybe someone will know from the pics) stuck near the croc for almost two hours. Sniffing at it, lying down near it, and staring at it...

Here, the deer first notices the newcomer.

image-id-1-1430215265.jpg

Little birds try to warn the deer, they make all kinds of racket, but the deer never heeds them.

image-id-1-1362458472.jpg
image-id-1-1101418915.jpg

Finally something in the brush a ways off scared him and he ran away. I hope the rest of the wildlife around there are smarter. There's a lot of baby zebras around.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I followed up with the rangers today. They said the bird is a resident and will eventually come to shore when she weakens, where she will then be easily captured and taken to a sanctuary to recover. They acted as if she'd appear before long with her wings raised in defeat, begging for help.

I didn't buy that for a minute. And their soothing tone as they tried to dismiss my concerns irked me to no end.

Are you kidding? You're always so supportive and thoughtful and inspiring in this thread, and it wouldn't be nearly as interesting without your input.

You should share the link (again) to the Africam site. If you don't, I will! ;)

Well maybe since they know that someone is concerned and more importantly that someone is a witness to their clumsiness, maybe they'll make it a point to keep an eye out for her. I guess the thing has to be pretty much dead before they can manage to capture it. I think you would've done a better job at it. *sigh*

:Hug2: Aw...thanks SK. I really love this thread and love being a part of it. And how everyone shares their photos and especially all the effort you put forth to capture such amazing scenes that some of us will never see. :)

Like those. See, I've heard of those birds, of course, but I've never seen one and couldn't tell you what one looked like, but thanks to you, I know exactly what they look like now and so many other species that you've shared on here. :) Great photos, SK!

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a trio of wild boar grazing within a few feet of the croc too. As far as I know, they survived.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
...this croc dude is going to stress me out. It seems as if the animals in Idube are not used to crocs. :scared: They know that the leopards, lions, and cheetahs are hazardous for their health, but they just wander right up to the croc. :Shrug: Tell me that this doesn't look menacing...

image-id-1-1512882882-2.jpg

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful cormorants, SK!

NF, he does look pretty menacing! But he might also look like part of the landscape if he's not moving.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone suggested I post this image again, for old times sake..

SKcarriedaway.jpg

Nify, I love the African images. Whenever I check the sight out, nothing's happening, so I'm glad you are sharing some of the action.

I did some research to figure out what type of deer that is. It's actually an antelope, a waterbuck specifically.

SK, nice cormorant images! the sun really highlights the detail of its feathers.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Either way, the clip is pretty funny. I mean, can you imagine raptors swooping in and snatching children like that? Well, maybe it's not that funny, but I know a few kids I wouldn't mind seeing taken in that fashion...
"You see, kids, sometimes Krampus [see pic at the very top of this page] has wings, and if you've been bad this year ..."

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score

Sounds like they were trying to placate you, or at the very least, downplay their earlier mistake.

I hope you have another chance to help the anhinga. Without the "assistance" of those two rangers.

...this croc dude is going to stress me out. It seems as if the animals in Idube are not used to crocs. :scared: They know that the leopards, lions, and cheetahs are hazardous for their health, but they just wander right up to the croc. :Shrug: Tell me that this doesn't look menacing...

image-id-1-1512882882-2.jpg
Very menacing. The resident animals better watch out. From it's size, it looks like it's been very successful at stalking its prey.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*looks at croc pic... looks at L.Y.'s avie... looks at croc pic..*

uncanny...

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Tepelus, your drawing is beautiful.

For those of you watching the croc on the Africam, the hippo has returned to the lake. Should be interesting.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
Are you sure they would "kill" the gator? I am from Florida where gators can run amok. Even if they do end up somewhere dangerous (like a pool), they don't kill them. They just remove them to a local river or other water source where the fact that it is a gator area is clearly marked. While thinking the gator would kill a child is pretty remote, it could kill a pet which can be pretty awful (my pets are my kids). If the gator doesn't move on soon, (which it will if it doesn't find a mate), manual relocation will be his best option.