Full-time writers, how many hours per day do you spend writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
Incuding anything that pertains to writing.

I'm just curious.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could tell. My first drafts are bare-bones, just trying to get a feel for the chapter. 2500 words isn't the hard part. It takes me a couple of hours but I know its all over the place.

Dialogue guides the story and is probably easiest for me. I spend hours editing and fixing, inserting more information throughout the novel. I go back to the outline and add more important information. Then I go back to the chapters and switch out words and phrases.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Barring deadlines, five hours per day, five days per week of actually writing. Hard to know how much I read. At least four hours per day, but I usually have a book with me wherever I go, so how it all adds up is just a guess.

Varies forms of research varies from week to week, and much of it is included in my reading, but usually a Saturday takes care of everything. Throw in another three or four hours of keeping up with e-mails, blogs, etc., and that's about it.

And it's hard to count to reading as part of my writing business. Reading is incredibly important for a writer, but were I not a writer, I'd be reading even more. I read because I love to read, not because I'm a writer.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
With my day job, anywhere from 3-6 hours a day. With my creative writing, anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 to 2 hours, depending on the day, but I don't creatively write every single day.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Define "full-time".

I get about 4-6 hours a day of writing, about 2-3 hours reading. And that's between college and side jobs.

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
By full time I mean able to support yourself from writing alone.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Anywhere from 8-12 hours per day, seven days a week. That includes writing, editing, reading, researching, and marketing (blogs, twitter, writing groups, etc.).

!MeMa!

Registered
Reaction score
it took all the day from me!!!
i mean i write for about a 2 hours per day, but somehow i feel like am possessed by the protagonist and the novel in general all i think about is the novel and how can i keep my own emotion and what i think about it away

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
My schedule is dictated by my kids' schedules. I write when they are at school or in bed. I get 6 to 8 hours of work time, 4 to 6 of which is actual writing/editing. The rest is various business and promotion stuff.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, I don't make a living off my writing. I wish. For me writing is just a hobby. Entertainment. Just trying to get these characters' adventures outta my mind so they stop nagging me, constantly telling me to write what they're doing. :ROFL: But yeah, I am a full time writer, if you're talking about how many hours one spends writing, because I don't have a job, and I write 6,000-8,000 words a day. Sometimes I do 1,000 words every hour, sometimes those 1,000 words take me 30 minutes to do. It all depends. So it's anywhere from 3-6 hours a day for 6,000 words. Depends on how energetic I am at the moment and how fast I type.

Status
Not open for further replies.