Quick favour--looking for books recs

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
Hubs really likes Louis L'Amour, because he stays very in period with his language and characterisation. But, he's read pretty much all of them at this point.

He's going to be starting chemo pretty soon and, while I don't mind carting his entire LL collection to the hospital and back again as many times as necessary, it would be nice if he could have a few new ones that are similar, for days when he's feeling better. Is there anyone out there that writes in a manner similar to LL? He doesn't like Zane Grey, which is the only other name I know in Westerns.

Any help is greatly appreciated. There's not much else I can do for him at this point, it's a journey he has to make himself. But I can make sure he has the supplies to make it through the badlands. (So to speak...;))

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've had at least one thread here about favorite westerns. You might look for that thread.

One recommendation: Monte Walsh by Jack Schaefer. It's not a shoot-em-up western, and is probably fairly true to the real west. Also, maybe one of the books by A. B. Guthrie. His book The Way West won the Pulitzer Prize.

I'm sorry the books have to be for such a sad reason. I hope things go as well as they can.

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The Devil Rode in by Kirk Hamilton, which may be slim but is thoroughly entertaining, is one of the stories I keep going back to. It is a little paperback, but it is probably hard to come across these days. I'll go through the stack of westerns when I drag the boxes out - I'm sure there is good stuff in there...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BrassCat, has he read "Lonesome Dove"? I'm not a reader of westerns, but I liked it.

Hey, do you need any reading recommendations for yourself? Tell us what you've enjoyed and we'll give it a shot. When Mr. Maryn was ill, I read a lot. Easily portable, and it put me in a different world, which I needed some days.

Maryn, with a hug

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Lonesome Dove, and maybe the others in the series.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, if your local library has them, the old series of books about the west by Time-Life might interest him. I have the complete set of twenty-something books; they are interesting.

Oldbrasscat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, I'm making a list and checking out the bookstores. I appreciate the link to the favourites thread--I should have thought of that and searched. My apologies.

I plan to have a little surprise bag for him, that I can dig into when he's not feeling well. Books, toys, treats if he can stomach them. It worked for my mom when my brother and I were kids!

Maryn, my TBR pile would be a mile high if it was paper. I've put some old favourites that I can reread and enjoy without much brainpower on the Kobo, plus some new ones that I've bought and haven't had time to read. And the Kobo is just the right size to go in my purse--it goes everywhere with me. So I think I'm good. But thanks for the offer. I know you guys are watching out for me.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for something similar to Louis I recommend Max Brand (he was writing about the sametime as LAmour), Elmer Kelton, and Elmer Leonard.

In my personal opinion I'd prefer The Viginian by Own Wister over Lonesome Dove (not a fan of Larry McMurtry, sorry)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
All of the above, plus Robert Parker did a really good series starting with Appaloosa.
Four or five books in the series. Appaloosa was made into a movie staring Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Elmore Leonard. And anything and everything by Will Cook, who went by a couple different pseudonyms. Out of print but so very very worth ebaying.

Best wishes to your husband!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding CDaniel's recommendation of The Virginian. The book is considerably different from the TV show (Trampus is the bad guy in the book).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another suggestion is audio books. Many libraries have CDs or downloadable audio books, and Amazon (Audibles.com) sells them.

A book read by a good narrator can be very enjoyable.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I second the recommendations on Elmer Kelton & Elmore Leonard. Leonard's style is pretty hard-boiled, but very good. Kelton has a pretty wide range, writing fairly traditional as well as modern Westerns.

A traditional Western writer who is very good is Frank Bonham. Johnny Boggs is a very good writer also, who fits in with the LL style.

Also, James Reasoner is a damn fine Western writer, worth checking out.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book of short stores by Elmore Leonard. That might work better for someone who has less energy. He could read one story at a time.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book of short stores by Elmore Leonard. That might work better for someone who has less energy. He could read one story at a time.

I recently read a good collection of novellas by Walt Coburn, Border Wolves. He was active in the pulp era.

I've been picking up a lot of Westerns at Dollar General. They have gotten quite a few mass-market paperbacks from Dorchester, stuff from Leisure Books & Hard Case Crime going for $1.25. If you have a Dollar General in your vicinty, Oldbrasscat, it's probably worth checking out for books as well as sundries.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dave Hardy reminded me of something. I'm not sure of oldbrasscat's situation, but my local library has racks of donated paperbacks that aren't even checked out; it's works on a sort of honor system. "We prefer you bring them back, not that we really care." There are usually several westerns in the racks.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'd second Alleycat on the short story idea, and maybe some of those western/cowboy magazines. Sometimes it's not just the energy level, sometimes it's hard to concentrate.
I haven't read many Westerns, but Paul St. Pierre, a Canadian writer, wrote a few books about ranching in the Chilcotin district of British Columbia. 'Breaking of Smith's Quarterhorse' and 'Boss of the Namko Drive'.
I'd suggest Will James, another Canadian, as well, but as far as I know his biggest book was 'Smoky the Cowhorse', a kid's book. I have no idea what his other books are like.

And all the best to your Hubs with his treatment.

Oldbrasscat

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! These are fantastic suggestions and I have a list as long as my arm now. It's great! Especially since he's tired already and treatment hasn't even started yet. I'll try our local bookstore this weekend, see what they have on the shelves, then go from there.

It always pays to go to the experts.:D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone who enjoys westerns would probably also enjoy some of the stories by Jack London. The Call of the Wild, The Sea-Wolf, and White Fang being three of the best-known.

You might also consider getting a few DVDs of old western movies.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have only one recommendation for you, Oldbrasscat, and that is: Tough Trip Through Paradise by Andrew Garcia. It is an autobiography of one year in the life of a young man who decides to become a mountain man in Montana circa 1879. It covers his first year up through the death of his first of three Native American wives. A fascinating read by a gentleman who not only lived the tale but knew how to tell about it in a way that brought his story to life and made every detail interesting, exploring his own role among the Native Americans and trappers and his own struggles in dealing with the angel sitting on his right shoulder and the devil perched on his left.

I would give anything to be able to turn a phrase the way this gentleman was able to. The best damn western I have ever read, and even more so because it was a true account written by the man who lived it.