What script editing software do you use?

What screenwriting software do you use? (You can select more than one option)

• Total voters

Jon-Luke

Anomalous crusader
Registered
Reaction score
Hi just a fun poll to see what other members are using to write their scrips on. If you have any comments on the program you are using please post them here.

I've been using Final Draft since version 5 and I find it easy and intuitive - I had some issued when I moved from a PC to Mac (Missed having the buttons where you could select CHARACTER, ACTION, SCENE HEADING etc... But I've learnt to use the mac shortcut keys instead). The older versions of Final Draft certainly had some issues; compatibility between Mac & PC, hick ups when converting from US Letter to A4 paper, etc... But now it seems to be quite a stable program if used correctly.

coneflower2001

Registered
Reaction score
CeltX ...I was using and paying for ScriptBuddy...but then I found out about Celtx on AW, and loved it.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I "won" a copy of MM2000 in a ScriptPIMP contest free draw a few years ago, which was rather nice. I've tried the others but still prefer MM for its robustness and user preference flexibility. Each to their own personal choice; they all do the biz. As always it's not the tool that counts, it's the writer. :)

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use MM mostly, but I have also have a copy of SceneWriter Pro (which I don't care much for). I also find some of the free BBC scripts programs helpful. I use them on my office computer (only during my lunch hour, you understand) because I don't want to load MM on that computer.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Started on "Scriptware" back in the early nineties... which I'm pretty sure was one of the first. Had great market penetration, but then FD took off. Still use it, fast, easy, flexible.

Meh, you go with what you got.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
MM6 on my main computer.

Celtx or Scriptsmart if I'm using some other computer. Celtx in particular comes in handy b/c I can download it to wherever I'm working.

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I've always used Screenforge and it's great. I've discovered Celtx recently and although it has some really useful features, it lacks a lot of auto-correction and auto-formatting stuff I've become used to, which is a pain! The page count works out slightly higher in Celtx too.

Jon-Luke

Anomalous crusader
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised Final Draft seems to be the least used and yet it seems to be marketed the most and the most readily available...

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You really can't go by what 10 voters say. :) While Celtx is finding fans among new aspiring screenwriters, FD and MM are well-established tools favored and endorsed by many pros and long-time aspiring screenwriters, who aren't going to change their habits on a whim.

-Derek

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I use FD because a friend gave me their copy after only having it a couple of weeks and decided not to go into script writing. I love it, it's easy to use, but expensive, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Jon-Luke

Anomalous crusader
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking a Celtx, as an AD I find the story boarding option to be quite interesting, does anyone know if you can change the fonts and the layout of the storyboards?

Shaun P. Spratling

Registered
Reaction score
I found CeltX while I was trying to avoid spending 200 bucks on Final Draft, and while it's a very good program, it's open source. And while open source can be good, it always lacks in a lot of areas, especially documentation. And I found that I just didn't need all of the other pre-production features, which rendered it kind of pointless. I broke down and bought Final Draft 7 for the Mac, and it is expensive as hell, but it was worth it. It is easily the easiest and strongest screenwriting program on the market. I guess I could have just pirated it, but I prefer the software people get paid for their work.

scan2001

Registered
Reaction score
Final Draft is the way to go. It is expensive, but it worth every cent.

slm22186

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using Final Draft. I like it. You still have to format a bit but overall it's a good program :).

bbsan

Registered
Reaction score
Final Draft was given to me by an author who thought I showed promise and talent.

I'm still hoping he was right.

sekime

Writing and learning
Registered
Reaction score
Fade In Pro

Last edited:

MyBrainReallyHurts

No, it really doesn't.
Registered
Reaction score
Scrivener for the research/outline/treatment. Celtx to write the actual script. Maybe one Christmas I will treat myself to Final Draft.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
CeltX because it's free, and I'm just trying out screenwriting (I mostly write novels and short non-fiction).

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Open Office. Yeah. I format everything manually, same way I did with Microsoft Word.

lefty23

Registered
Reaction score
Movie magic for me. Used to have final draft but took an online class at UCLA and MM was required. I guess i've just gotten used to it because i still use it.

KarmaHead

Winston
Registered
Reaction score
I use Celtx for a first draft or for short scripts I plan to use, and FD for feature scripts and any final scripts.

I prefer Celtx out of the two, though.