The Avengers

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen The Avengers yet? Great flick. I never thought I'd ever see a live-action film which integrated so many superheroes doing what they do so well. Good music, excellent direction, Hulk gets to smash--CGI or no, he really gets the funniest scenes--and it all works out in the end. Well worth seeing, even if you're not a fan of the genre.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Well, although it's already playing in a bunch o' them foreign countries, the picture doesn't get general release in the U.S. until this Friday (outside of the premiere in Hollywood a couple of weeks ago, and the Tribeca Film Festival). Wait four days and you'll get a better discussion.

I know my girlfriend is ready; she's taking the day off so we can hit the first Friday showing.

ETA: Where did you see the movie, J.S.F.? For whatever reason, it doesn't open in Japan until August. (According to IMDB; though sometimes they're wrong.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Everything I've heard is positive so far. Even the use of 3-D's getting a thumbs up and that's pretty rare.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
We're going to catch a Saturday matinee. We even watched Iron Man 2, Captain America and Thor this weekend to get ready for it! **rubs hands gleefully**

(Just saw a commercial for it. Cap turns to Hulk and says, "Hulk? Smash." And Hulk does so. It was fabulous. I love nods like that to the comics -- like in Thor, when Jane gives Thor a shirt and it has a "Hello, my name is" sticker still on it, and it says "Donald Blake, MD" -- I had to explain to my husband why that was a hat tip to the comic book.)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
So many reasons to be excited for this.

And they are: Chris, Chris, Sam, Jeremy, Tom, Mark and Rob.

(yes I like Scarlet as well, but come on, red blooded female here, I have my priorities . . . :) )

Okay, I'm also very excited to see the team together and for some awesome smashy smashy :) . Is it wrong though that I'm most excited about Loki?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Went to see this on Sunday. Very good.

Perhaps not quite as good as this review suggests (though the review is pretty damned funny)

Maybe I was just disappointed at 'not enough Thor to stare at' :D And yeah, the Hulk gets all the best bits - love how he doesn't hulk up till further on, and the film shows just how smart Banner is. The Hulk was, actually, I think one of the best film representations of him.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it on Sunday, and it was indeed good. I thought Robert Downey Jnr won the battle of the actors, but I'm an Iron Man geek.

PeterHill

Registered
Reaction score
It is amazing! Saw it on the 26th and the entire audience laughed at everything that was meant to be funny! The action was gripping from start to finish and Mark Ruffalo and Tom Hiddleston were brilliant and shone out! The other actors were great too also.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
Went to see this on Sunday. Very good.

Perhaps not quite as good as this review suggests (though the review is pretty damned funny)

Just read the other ones by that guy. Awesome. Not the Avengers one though cause this is one movie I won't see spoilerd. Man am I looking forward to it. Joss Whedon deserves this success. Just ecstatic the guy responsible for some of my favourite TV is rocking the big screen. Hopefully he wins an Oscar, but he probably won't cause critics hate things as mainstream and lowbrow as comics movies, but then again they've been lapping it up. Insane RT rating going on.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Kids are really bummed they can't go and see this.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Something I really love about this is that The Avengers wouldn't have worked if the individual superhero movies had tanked. It was a huge risk to start building "the team" four or five years ago with this being the end goal. What they ended up with was a group of actors who were each capable of carrying a film franchise.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to this, but I've been wanting to ask, am I the only one who thinks Hawkeye and Black Widow look pretty damn useless in these trailers? I mean, you've got the ever-loving Hulk, the god of thunder, Tony Stark and his array of high-tech weaponry, and Captain America who, all right, doesn't bring as much offensive firepower as the ones aforementioned, but he provides tactical combat leadership and he's at least beefed up on superhero steroids.

Then you've got the dude with the bow and arrow and the gal with the pistol. What the hell do they do: make bagel-runs? I'm sure they'll have an important role and prove themselves worthy to stand beside the others and blah blah blah, but come on now. How are those two not superfluous?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they're hoping for irony with Hawkeye shooting Loki with a mistletoe arrow or some such, and I guess they had to have a girl. (Though it's not like there aren't other alternatives. Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Firestar, Spider-Woman, etc.)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Scarlet was in the second IRON MAN and had quite a lot to do. I suggest you watch IRON MAN 2 to see what the girl with the gun is capable of.

As for Hawkeye . . . meh . . . even if all he does is stand around looking confused, I'm good. I adore Jeremy Renner.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scarlet was in the second IRON MAN and had quite a lot to do. I suggest you watch IRON MAN 2 to see what the girl with the gun is capable of.

I've seen Iron Man 2, and she was very adept indeed at infiltrating a security base and knocking out some dudes. That's great. This appears to be a full-scale invasion helmed by a malevolent Norse god. The pistol seems a bit useless at that point. It's like teaming up Jason Bourne with the JLA. Might as well be bring your kid to work day.

And don't even get me started on Hawkeye. I'm imagining Nick Fury looking at him like, "You couldn't at least find a musket, motherf*****?"

And yes, I know it's not that serious. I'm 99% joking. But this is just a common thing in stories involving superhero teams. I just find it amusing. I feel the same about the X-Men. Storm and Jean by themselves render most of the other X-Men useless. Telekinesis and telepathy + throwing lightning and tornadoes at people = why do we need you other fools again?

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Going Friday. Can Not Wait. I'm hearing great things. Time Magazine was quite kind to Joss and the film.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Going Friday. Can Not Wait. I'm hearing great things. Time Magazine was quite kind to Josh and the film.

-----

It's amazing Whedon and crew managed to integrate the action scenes in such a way as to emulate a cartoon--where it's somewhat easier to do, in a way--and exceed all expectations. The script gives the heroes a good opportunity to air their grievances with each other and almost verges into self-parody--almost but not quite. Yet, it never loses sight of the action and there's nary a dull moment.

Can't wait for the sequel!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just sorry we don't have comicdom's happiest couple, Henry Pym and Janet van Dyne.

They'll probably turn up in the/a sequel. An Antman project (originally set to star Simon Pegg, I think) is still in the works.

Ultron would be another great villain, speaking of the Pyms.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
-----

It's amazing Whedon and crew managed to integrate the action scenes in such a way as to emulate a cartoon--where it's somewhat easier to do, in a way--and exceed all expectations. The script gives the heroes a good opportunity to air their grievances with each other and almost verges into self-parody--almost but not quite. Yet, it never loses sight of the action and there's nary a dull moment.

Can't wait for the sequel!

Yeah, and Whedon said, he immediately saw his story: We used to be like Cap, loyal, helping each other, selfless, but now, we're like Tony Stark, self-absorbed asshats. There's your character conflict. Is that pretty much, correct, in your opinion?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and Whedon said, he immediately saw his story: We used to be like Cap, loyal, helping each other, selfless, but now, we're like Tony Stark, self-absorbed asshats. There's your character conflict. Is that pretty much, correct, in your opinion?

---

Yup, pretty much, but it's a tad more complex than that. Basically, when the chips are down, they forget about their individual petty differences and kick alien butt.

"Puny god" says the Hulk in the flick. (Sorry, couldn't resist!:D)

Vince, that trailer is simply a mashup of TV shows and movies from the late 70's and early 80's. I should know--I watched all that stuff back then!