You know you're Australian when...

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
One thing you have forgotten on your list is the ability to sprint while wearing thongs.

Absolutelly you can. And you know you can fix them with a bread bag clip when they break.

(For all those who think we're talking about underwear. Thongs are otherwise known as flip flops in America I believe.)

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I had an Aussie Whopper at Hungry Jacks when I visited Syndey. It was great. I also had an Aussie burger at a little restaurant on Shelley Beach (north of Manly). It was better.

On thing I regret, though, was I never tried Vegemite, even though it was on the breakfast table every morning.

They really are better arent they. I mean a whopper will do if you cant be arsed making one yourself, but there really is nothing like the real thing.

I think the problem a lot of tourists make is thet they think you can spread vegemite thick like you can peanut butter. Well you can if you want (I personally do, coz I LOVE it) but if you're just getting started you just have a tiny bit for the whole of a piece of toast.
It's not something you can eat off a spoon. I'm sure there are people who do it, but I wouldnt recomend it. Not unless you want your taste buds to shrivvel and die.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

Sorry it's late.
Hope everyone had a fantastic day and enjoyed the beautiful weather we've been having.

What did you all get up to?
Me, I read a book and had a barbie with the fam.

Enjoy the long weekend!

(And I hope all the QLDers are safe and sound after all those tornadoes went through.)

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Had a BBQ with family then played cards while watching the cricket.

Speaking of Queensland, 5 members of my family are going up there on Tuesday. Hopefully they don't run into any horrendous weather.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
I've been very lucky. Even managed to keep the power on.

Cliff face, the weather should have died down by then but there will probably still be flooding around SEQ to watch out for.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think mum's on the phone to the rest of them now, making up their minds whether they still want to go or not. They'll be in SEQ, I think, so yeah...

And apart from mum, they're all senior citizens, one with a walker. So going to a wet and windy place probably isn't a smart decision.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Hope the weather has cleared up by the time your fam go Cliff Face.

My big bro is in Townsville with the Army, but I believe the tornadoes were firther south.

I dont know exactly, I'm in the west so where I am we dont get disasters like that. - Thank goodness.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it looks like they're still going on the trip. Mum rang the place they're staying, and the guy there said there was nothing to worry about.

They'll be there for 10 days, so a lot could change while they're up there... But it'll be nice to have the house to myself for a while, even if I have to take care of the animals.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Is anyone in Melbourne fed up with summer yet? I know I am.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you're in Adelaide, you don't even get a winter. Not even the sort of half-arsed mediocrities of winters we have to settle for in Melbourne. :tongue

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I hate the cold. But lately feel as though I might as well have moved south as summer seems to have greatly passed us again, except for those few hot days.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Tell me about it, I'm in WA and it's sooo stinkin' hot. I may become a semi nudist colony later today.

It's gonna be 38 today and 42 tomorrow - Argh! Kill me now!

Having said that, I dont like the rain wither though. Give me beautiful spring weather with temp of between 23-27 and I'm happy.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I never used to be bothered by rain until I started drinking alcohol... Then one day, when I was 18, I went for a walk at night with some friends and it was raining. I had to borrow someone's jumper because I was shaking and my teeth were chattering!

Ever since then, cold weather + rain will make me cold, but cold weather on its own is wonderful.

Strangely, one of the people I was walking with loves rain, but hates the cold. So she was dancing in the rain while I was huddled up in someone's jumper. :tongue

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
I'm hopeless in the cold. My fingers swell up (think enormous red sausages) and it's painful to even hold a pen. Needless to say, I haven't enjoyed June exam periods over the last few years!

I'm happiest with temps in the high 20s/ low 30s. :)