Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. RE5 so not scary.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of off topic. I remember playing Arkham Asylum and thinking "This is really dark. There's a lot of f-ed up stuff in these villains' back stories, etc. This could be really super creepy." Great game, but I was always a little disappointed that it wasn't scary. I also wished there were decent/more difficult boss fights, but what can you do?

I had the exact same thought. It seemed to me like it tried to combine the darkness of Bioshock and the vertical play of Assassin's Creed but failed to surpass either game.

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
What scary compedium is not complete without the classic Left 4 Dead - anyone remember how creepy it was when you have to sneak up on the Witch?

Dead Island also had some scary moments; the hotel and the echos of the undead as they roam around the island. I did NOT like the sound that the Brutes made.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm partial to Ib. Not the most terrifying thing ever, but definitely creepy.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Oddly enough, it's not horror in the slightest, but Heavy Rain had a couple of moments that were interesting.

VelnR

Registered
Reaction score
The part right after they are in the mall in Heavy Rain is quite tense, I will admit I was yelling at the TV there. :p The whole power station portion was pretty nerve wracking as well. Can't wait for their next game.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Dark Fall: Lost Souls. I haven't played the previous two, but this game seems to stand alone just fine. Like Myst, it has a static screen you can interact with.

So far nothing has tried to kill me but I've never been so creeped out. It's all about the atmosphere.

The game starts with a black screen, and I hear shouts and gunshots as if they're underwater and very far away. When they fade, I (the character) start to hyperventilate. This goes on for about 20 seconds, then it's just me and the dark. Finally I get a text on my phone saying "You arE not alone. i Am heRe." Me and the dark again. I click around trying to find something to interact with, when I realize my phone has a flashlight option. I turn it on, and discover I'm in an abandoned underground train station. The first thing I see is a stone statue of a man in a suit, holding a baby doll's leg, surrounded by grocery carts filled with stone body parts.

DizScare

You make my heart skip a beet.
Registered
Reaction score
Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie: The Game.

But actually, I made the mistake of watching my mom's boyfriend play Dead Space 2. That was fun.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I picked up Dead Space, but I'm still working on another game so I haven't played it myself. I notice my teenage daughter is laughing like a maniac while she's playing it. She was shooting at a human head and watching it float down a corridor in zero G.

Somebody forgot to tell her be scared. :D

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry the correct answer here is Amnesia, the dark descent.

Seriously. Nothing else compares.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com

Yeah, I was surprised that no one else had mentioned this game but me. Seriously, folks! If you want to be scared, play Amnesia. I never did finish it, for the reasons stated in my last post, but it's definitely the scariest game I've played in years. This heavy feeling of powerlessness is weighing you down at all times. You're not blasting baddies with shotguns and flamethrowers, you're running down hallways and hoping that whatever's chasing you doesn't see where you hid.

KarmaHead

Winston
Registered
Reaction score
Dead Space, a very dark room, complete silence. Damn, what a game.

Shame Dead Space 3 looks disappointing...

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Dead Space, a very dark room, complete silence. Damn, what a game.

Shame Dead Space 3 looks disappointing...

Yup! Terrifying game - especially when you're being chased by that regenerating thing as it shuffles its way through the ceiling ducts above you.

In the spirit of this discussion, I replayed both DS 1 and 2 (and one is definitely screamier material than two.) I am also worried about number 3 - from the co-op gameplay that I have seen... It's going to be more RE5 than DS1.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. While it looks like it could be a decent action game, it's not really Dead Space anymore. It's just your mowing down necromorphs.

KarmaHead

Winston
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the co-op if the single player was was up to scratch with the first two, and though I haven't played it, it's looking very RE5 regardless, as you said above. It's a shame because I love the first two and this could have been a solid trilogy of games, the third just looks like a blown up mess of action and co-op with RE ambitions.

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com

It's a pity it never came out on console. I will have to see if my laptop can manage it.

Yeah. While it looks like it could be a decent action game, it's not really Dead Space anymore. It's just your mowing down necromorphs.

Yeah. The reviews are in and the scare factor is down.

Gametrailers - I trust their reviews 100%

Gamespot - meh

Time to go find out how much Amnesia is going to set me back...

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Siren. I never finished the game because after a while it was just tedious listening to the Japanese characters speak with British accents, but it was scary. The scariest thing about Silent Hill and RE, I couldn't figure out how to control the characters and the bad camera angles just pissed me off. Anyway, that's all scary, lol...

Sanoe SC

The Spice Must Flow
Registered
Reaction score
Amnesia: The Dark Decent. The previous Penumbria games are also quite frightening.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 deserve an honorable mention.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Agreed. Bad camera angles are the bain of all gamers. Thank god there are so many games now where you can adjust the camera yourself. Then you can make your own bad angles, lol...

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
re Dead Space 3.

I'm now at Chapter 5 (it got better and better after the opening) and I'm now thoroughly enjoying playing it solo. The Save and Exit feature is a tad annoying insofar as I seem to be only allowed to Save and Exit properly after completion of each Chapter.

But that apart I'm enjoying the game play.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
figaroooooooooooooo

Last edited:

Korabas

So Say We All
Registered
Reaction score
The first Condemned game for the 360, though, was the one that creeped me out the most. The sound design on that game, piped through a good 5.1 system, was brilliant. Noises coming from all around you... crazy hobos yelling at you from behind...

*shudder*

YES! Great game, very creepy. Nasty bad guys, scary violence. Wasn't as thrilled with the sequel but Condemned 1 is a great shout.

Also, Doom 3 - not a GREAT game, as it's quite shallow, but I couldn't play it for long without running out of nerves - usually ended up holed up in a corner waiting for something else to jump out and destroy me.
Doom 3 also had a great co-op mode where players could only use the flashlight if they put their gun away. As the game was mostly pitch black this required some SERIOUS teamwork.

Left 4 Dead had some scary moments, especially the Witch character.

Have you guys seen the concept for new indie game 'Outrun'? Set in an abandoned mental asylum you have to get through it with just a flashlight and no weapons - at all. Your only defence against the monsters is to run away and hope you outrun them! Sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.