Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a thread about it here.

Noirblanche

Registered
Reaction score
A great loss.
Not news one wants with the morning coffee (nor, obviously, with lunch or dinner or tea or any other hour of the day).

This weekend I'll read the Martian Chronicles. It's in my pile of ToBeRead, but it just got promoted to the top.

ravenmuse

Registered
Reaction score
He was indisputably one of the greats, but what was so amazing about him, was the way he could find inspiration in ordinary, mundane things and situations. Truly an example to follow and we are all richer through having enjoyed his work. I found this on twitter... a link to his last published article. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/06/04/120604fa_fact_bradbury

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that when I heard the news I looked at my bookshelves and realized I hadn't kept a single Bradbury to reread. I too read Martian Chronicles as a boy and, along with Stranger in a Strange Land, got hooked on many of these classics. Led to all my Edgar Rice Burroughs, CS Lewis, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clark addictions. :)

By the way, I ordered the Ray Bradbury Theater complete collection on Amazon. Was only $10.49 for all the episodes. Unfortunately, low quality in the transfer (or I remember it better than it actually was).

Now I'll have to order some of them on Kindle. Wasn't there a movie of The Martian Chronicles? Rock Hudson? I don't remember it as being stellar though...

Jeff

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There's no need to apologise, thekingsguard. We often have multiple threads when a well-known person passes, and Bookclub is a fine place to start one for Ray Bradbury.

When the threads have quietened, they are usually merged and moved to Remembrances. It's no problem.

AUthoress

Living my dreams.
Registered
Reaction score
Made me cry when I found out. Amazing writer, amazing man.

sarrahhakim

sucking out all the marrow of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarrahhakim.com
I remember the first short story I read by Ray Bradbury - "All Summer in a Day." It was beautiful.

R.I.P. Ray Bradbury, and thank you for the wonderful gifts of writing you gave us. You have been a true inspiration, and you will continue to live on through your writing.

Thorburgh

Registered
Reaction score
I have Read 451 more times than any other book it is absolutely one of my favorite books and all his other writings where amazing I read alot of his books and short stories when I first decided i would love to be a writer

Michel_Cayer

Registered
Reaction score
Strangely I had not heard. A very unfortunate event. Thankfully, he will always be with us through his books and stories.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Oh, man, I've only just heard this. So sad. I love his work. He was definitely one of the people who made me want to write; a man who took such joy in language.

Arislan

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, I've only just heard this. So sad. I love his work. He was definitely one of the people who made me want to write; a man who took such joy in language.

Same, first I hear of it. It's like the past being magically erased.

I wish humans had longer shelf life.

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
So, so sad. He lived a very long and awesome life, but still. The world is a little less shiny without him. I got to shake hands with him and get my book signed when I saw him speak about five years ago. What a hell of a human being.

Oh, wow. That's one thing that makes me especially sad; that I'll never get to speak to great writers after they pass on, or at least see them speak.

RIP, Ray, and thank you for all you've given to the world.

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
I truly miss Ray. One of the best of his kind, he's certainly inspired me. The Illustrated Man is one of my absolute all time favorites.

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Regarding losing the masters...
Seems like so many of yesterday's writers were more versatile. Not to say that we don't have younger writers who produce novels, non-fiction, screenplays and short stories, but I'd guess there are fewer these days.

I'm glad Anne mentioned Something Wicked. Possibly the best opening chapter ever written.