Resubmitting previously published story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
How do you handle submitting previously published material? Do you mention it was published before (in this case, it was a print publication)? Does that help or hurt?

I have a story that got some praise and mentions by reviewers of an anthology. While the anthology is still available for purchase (print-on-demand, 2 years old), the sales have fizzled out, and the publisher, a one-man show, actually died soon after its publication.

It was a non-paying publication with a standard contract for first rights of print pub. Does that mean I have to mention where it was first published? I'm not looking to be deceptive. Just wondering if previously published material with some media attention might help in getting the piece into a journal with a wider reach. Or, if editors wouldn't consider it because it's already had its day. The story is a retold fairy tale, which seems to have a decent market.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Firstly, make sure the market you want to submit to accepts reprints. If their guidelines don't state specifically one way or the other, then send them a polite query.

When submitting, yes you do need to mention that it's a reprint. Most markets have different rates for reprint and for original fiction. Also, most contracts for first rights include a clause to the effect that a note that states where the story was first published has to be included with any subsequent published versions.

Hope that helps!
Izz

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If they accept reprints, you can submit it. Tell them where it was published in the cover letter. If they don't accept reprints, you can't. There aren't that many markets that take reprints, but there are some... especially audio markets, where they want stories that have been elsewhere as text.

Status
Not open for further replies.