The Novel Challenge Hub

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got ahead by 1k today and worked out some plot holes. I'm feeling pretty good about it today.

Can't say how I'll feel tomorrow, though. :tongue

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good work!

So, you might fiddle with it tomorrow. No biggy. You've got something to fiddle with.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the poke guys, I think they must have worked:) I wrote about 900 words today, it's not a lot, but it's the most I have wrote all month.

I'm also hoping to start sending Query's for my other novel soon. Hoping for end of Feb or start of March. I think I'll be doing a lot of this:chair

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the poke guys, I think they must have worked:) I wrote about 900 words today, it's not a lot, but it's the most I have wrote all month.

I'm also hoping to start sending Query's for my other novel soon. Hoping for end of Feb or start of March. I think I'll be doing a lot of this:chair

Congrats on the word count.

I'm not getting why you'll feel a need to hide when you query. [Scratches head or turban, whichever comes first. Turban in my case.]

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Crap on toast!! I came to a sudden realization that my protag has no meaningful inner conflict. :Headbang:

:rant: Sure, there's lots of external conflict, but my hero has no defined goal. Survival aside, he isn't really aiming towards anything. :gaah

No wonder this book feels disjointed and a total mess. Survival is a nice goal, but it doesn't give anyone internal conflict. It's a hang along for the ride type of thing.

So, now I need to come up with an internal conflict and lace it through the book. :e2writer: Once I have that, I might actually have a real novel. Maybe.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Well, Sky Warrior, that's no fun. But good thing you noticed it before the book bombed.

And Soapdish, if you haven't given up, you're still ahead...

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done anymore writting, but I have been editing my first book, yet again. I need :Hug2:I hate editing. I am going to write a list of agents tonight as I got good feedback on my Query:hooray: And start sending them out tommorrow, so I'll be back to checking my email everyday:)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hugs on editing. I often enjoy it because I can see something extraordinary emerge from a ho-hum text. But it does get in the way of new writing...

Congrats on good feedback to your query. Best of luck with agents!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I haven't written much for about a week. We just got new email addresses, and I've been busy notifying folks. Hopefully, I'll get some really work (funny how writers love work and the rest of the world hates it) done this weekend.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
I am at about 22k. I am supersuperfreaking psyched about this project. It's actually going WELL. And I think I might even be able to finish it (*gasp*)! And even write some scenes in the sequel before getting so sick of the world and characters I trunk it all!

Then...

...y'know what? Not thinking of the future (in terms of writing) at the moment. This project, here and now, that's what matters, because holy crap if I can ever finish a novel my self-esteem would go through the bloody ATMOSPHERE. Which would be a reaaaally nice change of pace...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I haven't written much for about a week.
:whip: and/or :Hug2: Depending on which you respond to best. :tongue

I am at about 22k. I am supersuperfreaking psyched about this project. It's actually going WELL. And I think I might even be able to finish it (*gasp*)! And even write some scenes in the sequel before getting so sick of the world and characters I trunk it all!
:hooray:
Man, I LOVE that feeling.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:whip: and/or :Hug2: Depending on which you respond to best. :tongue

Thanks, I always accept hugs. But I wasn't repining or being lazy. Just doing what life gave me to do until I could get back to work. Which was today! Hurray!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...oh, and I'm back on track. :D I can't believe it, but I am.

Found a most awesome way to explain why there are no children in the community my characters live in. I'm very pleased with myself. Today. That changes from day to day. :tongue

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
I feel so unproductive. :Headbang:

First, I got Norovirus from the con. That was no fun.

My husband got it too. I got a slight backlash from it.

I got a tooth extracted. I butchered a chicken and while dressing it, cut my finger. (Those hunting knives are sharp!) And then I've been trying to do royalties, edit and format a book, oh, and trying to figure out my character's motivation and internal conflict. :gaah

Did I mention that he's not helping one bit? I'm writing a throwaway scene where he decides to leave home. Nothing seems to be working even though I've talked about motivations with my DH and things that seem apparent aren't. He is also not as cocky as he should be, being so young. Damn him. I need to whack him upside the head.:e2writer: So, I'm sitting here getting pissy. Not good.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Poor sky warrior. :( That's no fun... Hope your character starts behaving soon. Totally stinks when characters just sit back and sip lemonade while watching you struggle to figure out things about their inner workings... or something like that. Was totally going for an epic metaphor. Epic metaphor fail...

Aaaand, today is not as good in the self-esteem as yesterday. If I start thinking about what happens after the first draft, I start freaking. I know I cut craploads of stuff in editing--I managed to get a 22k partial draft down to 15k--and I'm worried about length as is; my WIP is at 22k right now, and roughly halfway through the plot? Maybe?

So I'm really trying not to think about what happens after the first draft. I mean, with my record, I may very well never even get to that point. Just gotta keep reminding myself, get the first draft done, and then I can worry about the length... sigh.

In other news, was definitely avoiding the part of the scene I ended up writing yesterday. It turned out semi-awesome. Definitely will need much editing, but I love love LOVE how [this book's] main antagonist came across. Definitely a far cry from how I'd originally thought of him, but then, now I know him a lot better. And, incidentally, I know how the dragons in my world work, a little better... not that there are any actual dragons until the sequel, but that is totally beside the point. I really love this world I'm working in. ...except possibly the magic system, but I just need to figure out how exactly that works for people without the innate magic and stuff...

Geez, I really *do* blather a lot, don't I?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got chapter 12 edited today.
:snoopy:

I got a tooth extracted. I butchered a chicken and while dressing it, cut my finger. (Those hunting knives are sharp!)
:Jaw:That's a lot to happen all at once. I'm so sorry. Damn.

So I'm really trying not to think about what happens after the first draft. I mean, with my record, I may very well never even get to that point. Just gotta keep reminding myself, get the first draft done, and then I can worry about the length... sigh.
This. Is. Me. Exactly.
I'll try and stop worrying about it if you do. :D

I'm right on track. Still. I'm amazed. Today I added a mysterious garden/farm, and I'm leading up to a dream sequence. Which, come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever written before. :e2writer:
So, that should be fun. I'm not going to write it until tomorrow though, letting it sort of map out in my head today first.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel so unproductive. :Headbang:

I got a tooth extracted. I butchered a chicken and while dressing it, cut my finger. (Those hunting knives are sharp!) And then I've been trying to do royalties, edit and format a book, oh, and trying to figure out my character's motivation and internal conflict. :gaah

Did I mention that he's not helping one bit? I'm writing a throwaway scene where he decides to leave home. Nothing seems to be working even though I've talked about motivations with my DH and things that seem apparent aren't. He is also not as cocky as he should be, being so young. Damn him. I need to whack him upside the head.:e2writer: So, I'm sitting here getting pissy. Not good.

Bah humbug! (I'm good at understatements!)

Sounds to me like you should avoid sharp instruments whilst wrestling with your characters.

If the guy doesn't want to be cocky, try telling him he can't be, and see what happens.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor sky warrior. :( That's no fun... Hope your character starts behaving soon. Totally stinks when characters just sit back and sip lemonade while watching you struggle to figure out things about their inner workings... or something like that. Was totally going for an epic metaphor. Epic metaphor fail...

Aaaand, today is not as good in the self-esteem as yesterday. If I start thinking about what happens after the first draft, I start freaking. I know I cut craploads of stuff in editing--I managed to get a 22k partial draft down to 15k--and I'm worried about length as is; my WIP is at 22k right now, and roughly halfway through the plot? Maybe?

In other news, was definitely avoiding the part of the scene I ended up writing yesterday. It turned out semi-awesome. Definitely will need much editing, but I love love LOVE how [this book's] main antagonist came across. Definitely a far cry from how I'd originally thought of him, but then, now I know him a lot better. And, incidentally, I know how the dragons in my world work, a little better... not that there are any actual dragons until the sequel, but that is totally beside the point. I really love this world I'm working in. ...except possibly the magic system, but I just need to figure out how exactly that works for people without the innate magic and stuff...

Geez, I really *do* blather a lot, don't I?

Blathering is fine.

Glad your character is misbehaving the way that improves the text.

Don't worry too much about word count. You may end up adding a nifty subplot or two.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Good work, Soapdish! (I keep typing Soupdish, then re-typing.)

Dream sequences are fun.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I keep typing Soupdish, then re-typing.)
:tongue You aren't the first person to do that. It's okay.

So...:Headbang: yeah...

I'm at the point in the novel where it all fell apart the last time I wrote it. The exact place. And it's happening again. I thought for sure I'd outlined my way out of this mess, but apparently I haven't.

Just 500 words. I keep telling myself that I just have to get 500 words at a time. And to breathe.

But what happened last time was that I wrote 500, then 500 more etc. etc., and then pretty soon the last half of the book was composed of 500 word chunks of shit that didn't make sense or flow together. :(

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*