PublishAmerica author sues Stephen King for plagiarism

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
However one might feel about the true origins of Dan Brown's "work", he has not had to pay anything out-of-pocket for the claims against him. His publishers assumed the risk and in at least one case, the plaintiffs were required to pay all the legal costs of both sides.

Were that a book PA printed accused of being plagiarized, PA would dump the book and leave all responsibility and cost on the author, no matter what their contract said. It would cost the author more to get PA to stand up.

However, if the author successfully defended themselves and even got a monetary award, PA would probably try to take a big financial piece as well as crow that 'their' legal team is great--just like PA!

My hands hurt just typing that malarky.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I am nothing remotely resembling a lawyer, so.... Is it possible/likely that the judge will find this is a "nuisance" case and will biff it and make the PA author pay all costs, including those for King's high-flying lawyers?

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
That is a toughie. I won my copyright case (someone claimed I had infringed on them). It took 6 grueling years. The other side was frivolous and incompetent. Their claims were on a par with the ones against King.

1. I pointed out all the flaws and asked to dismiss. The judge let them correct the flaws.

2. I pointed out all the remaining flaws and asked the judge to dismiss. The judge gave them more time to correct their flaws.

3. I moved for summary judgment and won.

4. They filed a motion for reconsideration and lost.

5. I filed a motion for attorney's fees and lost. The rationale? In so many words, the judge's ruling boiled down to, "well, they thought their claim had merit and incompetent doesn't necessarily equal evil."

Cost awards in copyright cases are 100% within the judge's discretion.

I don't think any judge in the world would rule in plaintiff's favor and my guess is this will be dismissed on jurisdictional or other technical grounds. However, the judge is also likely to find that defending against this sort of thing is a cost of doing business if you are Stephen King or S&S.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that informative answer, CXR!

circlexranch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The King/S&S legal team is opening up with both barrels. They asked and received permission to file a brief in excess of the 25-page limit. It looks like they are going to sidestep the jurisdictional issue and go straight for a Rule 12 dismissal (more about that when they actually file the brief).

It should be a juicy document.

Here is the motion, it gives a nice overview of what we can expect in the next 30 days or so.

King - S&S Motion to Exceed Page Limit

Make some fresh popcorn, the new battle for Atlanta is about to start!

Terri

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to get a peek at the motion and got this instead;
"Sorry, we are unable to retrieve the document for viewing or you don't have permission to view the document."

That was a quick supression.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
It might be a permissions thing, but IE is reporting a JavaScript error and Chrome reports a timeout.

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
BLARG! No, it's me being an idiot thing who can't use Google docs correctly. I'm at work now, so I can't fix it. I will do so tomorrow when I'm at my home office puter.

Terri
Oh, good. I thought I had forgotten my Google password again.
:ROFL:

This should be very very interesting... Hurray for Stephen King and his attorneys. :)

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this is getting good :D GO S&S and Steven King! :)

circlexranch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Alrighty boys and girls, here is the motion to dismiss and the brief. I haven't read it thoroughly, but I think you can take it as a primer of copyright law and it should answer a lot of questions about what is and isn't infringement. No all that often you get to see work done by lawyers who don't get out of bed for less than a $10,000 retainer.

There are three docs:

1. The Motion to Dismiss - short and to the point

2. The Supporting Brief - long and to the point

3. A Backup doc about copies of the books filed with the court.

These are public documents. You can print them, copy them, blog them, post them, do anything your heart desires with them. All I did was copy out of the court system and post in a more accessible and free-of-charge format.

More on the implications of a Rule 12(b)(6) motion later.

Terri

circlexranch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Page 4 of the brief:

On December 6, 2010, nearly three years after Duma Key was originally
published, Marquardt filed this Complaint for copyright infringement, alleging that
Duma Key infringed the copyright in his self-published book, Keller’s Den. (emphasis added)

Yee-ouch!

circlexranch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Page 13, footnote 4:

Other than the conclusory allegation that his work was and is for sale in various venues, Plaintiff pleads no facts to support a finding of actual access or of widespread distribution to presume access. (Cplt ¶ 9.) Nonetheless, should the Court deny this motion in any part, access will be fiercely contested, as Stephen King never heard of Rod Marquardt or Rod Morgan until he read about the commencement of this lawsuit in a trade publication, and, to this date, has never seen the Plaintiff’s book.

I'm surprised they found a copy in order to compare it to King's book. Imagine you found out you'd been sued in a trade publication. Did the other attorney even properly serve the summons?

circlexranch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Awesome legal quote:

"At bottom, this lawsuit is a classic example of “that obsessive conviction, so
frequent among authors and composers, that all similarities between their works
and any others which appear later must inevitably be ascribed to plagiarism.”
Dellar v. Samuel Goldwyn, Inc., 150 F.2d 612, 613 (2d Cir. 1945)."

Because nobody else can have an idea! All the ideas are mine, mine, mine!