Rejectomancy

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
7-day form from Niteblade. They also put my name instead of my story's title when thanking me for the submission. Strange, Niteblade. Very strange.

On another note, does anyone know where I could send a 2,900-word science fiction/horror story? I know this isn't exactly the thread to ask in, but this one's pretty much run the gambit as far as my markets go.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
7-day form from Niteblade. They also put my name instead of my story's title when thanking me for the submission. Strange, Niteblade. Very strange.

On another note, does anyone know where I could send a 2,900-word science fiction/horror story? I know this isn't exactly the thread to ask in, but this one's pretty much run the gambit as far as my markets go.

Have you tried the White Cat publications (part of Sams Dot)? They have both a horror and an SF magazine. Or Perihelion? (Although they say "no horror" but I think that's because they want "hard SF".)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Argh. I should have knocked on wood or something last time I posted. :rolleyes: I just got my R from them as well. Five days.
:idea: Well, not knowing where all you've sent it already...Aggy's suggestion of White Cat is a good one. Maybe...Plasma Frequency? Trying to think of one that does both scifi and horror, but that you've maybe not tried yet.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry everyone in the flood of R's today!

The one I have at W@ylines right now is scifi-horror, but I'd think most markets that take scifi would look at dark or horror scifi too.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks to everyone for all the help :) especially on such a vague question. Already sent off to meet its next maker. Hopefully this one finds a home soon.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
52-day Cemetery Dance. Didn't feel it was a good fit, but I had to give it a chance!

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
132-day form R from P Review. I know, I know... a ridiculous longshot. But, as they say, if you always shoot low you'll never hit the target.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Condolences to all the recent rejections. Just got a Lamplight form R for one of my least favorite stories. That one didn't sting much.

And it's good to know Cemetery Dance might be on the move, Samuel. As my sub is at 53 days, I can add to the email-refreshing dread. Sorry to hear about your R, though. :(

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I was at 47 or so. There was a random spurt of "quick" responses in the last couple of days, but I still think they're operating at their usual snail pace.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Condolences on all the recent rejections.

A quick form from Black Treacle. One day responses are nice

Xenospora

What is this... I don't even...
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, I should thank you guys. I found out about Shimmer on here (newbie!) and I was fretting over a new market to submit my story too when it was rejected by Daily.

Good luck and chocolate hugs to Marzioli, squeaky pram, O'Dandelo. May your stories find their homes in the future.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Xeno. :D FYI, if you're looking for lists of available marketplaces, try Ralan.com. They split it up by payment type, so you'll have wade through to find your genre of choice. Or if you want to search by genre, there's a new kid in town called Submissions Grinder that'll do you fine. Also, if you don't mind a small fee of $5 a month, Duotrope is the classic tool for tracking subs and finding new markets.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
there's a new kid in town called Submissions Grinder that'll do you fine.

And I have to say The Grinder is looking good. I contacted them via their web form re adding a new market to their database yesterday. They had it up within minutes, along with an email back to me to let me know. I caught them at a good time, but still! I'm impressed! :D I think they are worth supporting.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
Is is raining Rs at the moment? I got soaked! 4 in 4 days... Vestal Review 132 days, Postscripts to Darkness 62 days, Flash Fiction Online 8 days, Niteblade 3 days. Crikey.

Commiserations to everyone on their Rs, too - apparently it's a whole storm system...

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
LolaVelo, ouch and commiseration! And that goes for all who are feeling the effects of the storm system. Good thing about storms, though... when they're over, the world is fresh and bright (at least until the next storm blows in). :)

Here's to sunny days!

And welcome, xeno!

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
My second-rounder at Waylines has come home with its leash in its mouth. A nice 12-day personal, but I'm quickly running out of markets for this, my only humor piece. Everyone has nice things to say about it, but no one wants to give me their moneys!

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
My second-rounder at Waylines has come home with its leash in its mouth.

Love this description! I like the idea of our stories walking themselves home. Plus, a dog carrying its own leash usually seems quite proud of itself. The stories go out and come back proud! Maybe a good way to think about them as we struggle ahead?

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
This wouldn't work for me. Mine come home horsewhipped and bloody, wheeled in on a wagon pulled by a leper who shouts, "Pick up your dead!"

*Looks at stack of rejections*

Will you be bringing a second wagon?

Speaking of which, a very nice personal from First Stop Fiction. They liked the piece overall, but some of the descriptions were just a bit too much for them, so they ultimately had to pass. Given how this story came about, I don't mind such a nice rejection one bit :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Two-day form rejection from The Threepenny Review.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
*Looks at stack of rejections*

Will you be bringing a second wagon?
The leper only pulls one wagon, but he can fit a healthy number. He brought back six in the last month for me. I've already cleaned them off, nursed them back to health and sent them back into the world.

Actually, that's kind of cruel if one thinks about it like that ...