Status
Not open for further replies.

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
I have an oddball question. I want to make a few books just for personal use, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars doing so.

I don't want spiral binding. One of the books will use color photos. The other will be just like a fiction book. Both will have covers--probably in color. I want to be able to print the books again if need be, but I don't want to sell the books.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jodi

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
www.lulu.com (for color inside), www.createspace.com for black and white interior.

I would really like to use Create Space if I could, but I wasn't sure if they allowed personal printings. I thought the default was to sell through other vendors/stores. The "books" aren't things I want just anyone reading.

To be more specific, one is a version of a book I am writing. I am redoing it completely, but I want to preserve several copies. One for personal pleasure. The other to annotate for use in the rewriting the book/series. I don't want people ever buying it. I also plan on writing stories/novels I don't plan on sharing with anyone else, but I want a copy to re-read just like a book. The other is a journal/diary with pictures. I don't like handwriting a diary. And I don't like it just on my computer or on printouts. And I definitely don't want anyone else to see it.

In both cases I will only need a few copies.

So Create Space will definitely allow me to do that--at least for the B&W? (I tried to look at their website, but I found it hard to get that specific information.)

Jodi

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Yes. The trick is to never approve the proof copy. That keeps the book in limbo, yet you can order as many copies as you like whenever you want. You can also continue to make changes to both the cover and inside text/layout.

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
Yes. The trick is to never approve the proof copy. That keeps the book in limbo, yet you can order as many copies as you like whenever you want. You can also continue to make changes to both the cover and inside text/layout.

Cool. I'll have to look into Create Space for the B&Ws then. Thanks!

And thanks, all, for the other suggestions too. They'll give me companies to look into.

Jodi

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Adding the that is the fact you have to select and save the distribution channels yourself, so don't fear that anything has slipped past you and onto the public domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.