• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

JamesAllen

Registered
Reaction score
Submissions Editor for Samhain?

Do you guys know which editor to direct a submission to? I see at the site that there is a submissions link and a short list of names of some of the editors at Samhain, but I'm not sure whose name should go in the "Dear Ms. --"

Who did you send your subs to? Thanks for your help. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The submission link says they are closed to submissions: "Samhain is temporarily closing to open-call submissions, due to the volume routinely received and that we are heading into conference season."

When they are open I believe you are meant to use the generic email editor@, in which case I imagine the letter would be addressed 'Dear Samhain Editor'? Unless it is for a special call in which case you can use the name given for that project.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yep, once the submission is received it's routed to an editor. You don't know which one, so I'd stick with 'Dear Editor' or something. I can't for the life of me remember what greeting I used.

When they re-open.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
I addressed mine to Christina Brashear, but it was routed to Carrie Jackson instead. :Shrug: No one said anything about it since there was no specific editor to address. Plus, I'm sure they're used to that. Fine by me. Carrie is an absolute doll to work with.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info, everyone! I submitted to Samhain today. I wonder if they'll be swamped!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
And they're off! Clean break from the gate, and it's seaaircarol in the lead, with Chumplet coming up fast on the outside.... and down the stretch they come! I'd better get cracking and submit.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, Christine, and good luck, Chumplet!

I didn't get an auto-reply yet, but I'm trying not to fret. I think it's because they had to change their old message.

However, I'll be interested to know if you get one, Chumplet.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I finally got an auto-reply, but it says they're still closed to subs. However, I checked out Angie's blog, and she says not to worry about it--they're still changing the message.

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I just saw that on myspace too! Whoot whoot!

I'm probably going to send my submission in by the end of the week, just to make sure everything is 100% perfect, or as good as I can make it.

Apryl

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I sent mine in (think they're tearing their hair out yet :)) and the auto responder said they were still closed. But, me being glass-half-full just thought "Not what the website said. Bet they haven't changed it yet."

How's that for positive??? So unlike me :D

JamesAllen

Registered
Reaction score
I sent them a partial today. I wonder how many of their editors read the gay romance submissions. Do you think if there's only one editor working on them, it will take much longer than average to hear back?

Also wonder if all the First Line Contest submissions went back out today. :D If so, then they must be swamped.

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I got my rejection today. But it was a GREAT one!

"We thank you for giving Samhain Publishing the opportunity to review your work for possible publication. Unfortunately, there are some issues with the manuscript that prevent us from offering a contract. (Offer contract? On a partial?)

You write very well, and I was intrigued by the professional hockey backdrop to your story. (Yay!) However, from your partial and synopsis it seems that the villain, Sheila, takes up a significant amount of the book. Given her drug-addiction issues and the amount of space devoted to developing her story, I would hope to see her redeemed in the end, at least partially. Unfortunately, it seems she remains a one-dimensional villain, even capable of killing innocent children in her jealous pursuit of a boyfriend. (Darn...) My main concern is that the hero’s involvement with and sympathy for a woman like this calls his own strength of character into question. (Oops, gotta beef up this hero guy!)

While this particular story did not work for me, I do appreciate your submission to Samhain Publishing and wish you good luck in the future."

Now, I call that a helpful rejection! I'll consider her comments, but keep in mind that another editor requested the full based on the same partial and synopsis.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Sorry to hear that you were rejected, Chumplet. :( However, that was a very "nice" rejection. My editor turned down my second submission to her, but she gave me some wonderful reasons. (Wow...real honest to Gosh reasons for rejection!) I hope you have better luck with those fulls!!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Wow, condering how inundated Samhain must be, for them to send you such a great crit is beyond exemplary. I love it when I get enough information that helps me to really size up my story and see some faults. And of course it's always nice to have your strengths pointed out to help with that ole ego thing.

Samhain. The Force is strong with this one.

Tri

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Ixchel, how long did it take for them to reject your submission? I haven't heard back from them yet. Mine has been with them since August 8th, but it says it'll take 8-10 weeks for a response.

Does anyone know if Selena James (from Kensington) and Angela James are related? Just wondered, since their last names are the same.

Apryl

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Interesting...I wonder.

I'd definetly like to try Samhain with one or two novellas; it seems like there are very few titles with no romance whatsoever (any?). Is it worth sending them other stuff?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, I can tell you that I was rejected outright for two SF and two Fantasy novels (four total) that all had tepid romance/sex scenes. I just get the impression they like it hot, like their coffee. Once again, Paranormal Romance is showing its glorious face and popularity. Not to say that straight romance isn't a big market for them.

I wonder if they have the power and reach to eclipse Ellora's Cave, if it hasn't already happened. I like nothing better than to see original e-pub companies go print and cop good distribution. Says a lot about the future prosperity of the small press.

tri