Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't have guessed that since they say it no where in their guidelines that they take stories with Christian perspectives.
Yeah, I was surprised to run across that article (where that info was taken from). If they can find a modern Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, more power to them! I previously sent them a story with elements of Catholicism in it (that was held a long time at Apex--for whatever that's worth--and got a higher tier from F&SF), but they rejected it within 3 days. :/

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I previously sent them a story with elements of Catholicism in it (that was held a long time at Apex--for whatever that's worth--and got a higher tier from F&SF), but they rejected it within 3 days. :/
Perhaps it was the wrong Christian perspective. :tongue (God knows how many perspectives there are on Christianity)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll try my protestant story next... Once I write it.

And, on a more general note, I got my third rejection of the day. Beneath Ceaseless Skies. Previously, I couldn't use the personal criticisms they offered, but this one may be helpful.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
That's really interesting about Buzzy mag. I have a story that's out at DSF right now, but I'm now thinking it would be a good fit for Buzzy- it's an alternate history/magical realism, but more with the realism than magic. The only speculative elemnt is that the Devil is a character, so maybe it would work out well. Now I just have to see if DSF wants it or not :p.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with it! Out of curiosity, is the story that's published with them from a Christian perspective?

Not even a little bit.

In the second story (one that's in their slush right now) there's a bit character who's a Catholic priest, but he gets all of one paragraph in a 5k+ MS.

This is the first time I hear of the Christian perspective thing at all.

horrorshowjack

Professional Heretic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackcnemo.com
Three rejections today. It seems to be common this week. I don't feel as bad about it now.

Rejected by Shadows & Tall Trees in 5 hours. Usually I can only get rejected that fast while dating.

Not a winner with the Tinhouse Blog either.

I'd made it to the round of 30 for the Microaward. Unfortunately I failed to get even a single third place vote from the judges, so I can't call myself a finalist.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I have several stories being held for, seriously, a month longer than the average R. Gives me hope I get to keep my title as the Alydar of short stories! Come on, personal R! Mamma needs a new pair of...Rs?

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Crickets for me. My submission at West Pigeon Press has been in the second round for 19 days now. My Shock Totem submission has been "In-Progress" most of the day. So I imagine the crickets will shut up quite soon.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
7YvNY.jpg

I made the forum a cricket meme. Now to see if I can properly display it here.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Dandelo. Is there a certain part of him we rub for luck?

Because I have been on hold with a Very Challenging Market for a Very Challenging Week now, and it is making me nuts.

eta: hmmmm. made a gender assumption, but looking at those pecs, my pronoun might be wrong...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Very cool, O'Dandelo! :)

And *hugs* for all you rejectioneers.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
R from Lightspeed. <Insert speed related rejection quip here>.

Also, got spam from Pedestal Magazine. I had no idea who the heck it was, only that some guy (John Amen) claimed to be doing poetry readings. Had to look it up before I realized who it was. That's annoying.

Also, Allegory wrote and said my sub is in their queue. At 47 days, I don't think they've even gotten to it yet. :p

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
John Amen is EIC of Pedestal, iirc. Heh--i delete those emails without even reading them.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
R from Clarkesworld overnight put the crickets briefly on hold. Still, it seems awfully quiet for having so many subs out.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
John Amen is EIC of Pedestal, iirc. Heh--i delete those emails without even reading them.
Yeah, I guess I'll start doing that too. I didn't enjoy the fact they didn't have an unsubscribe option on the email.

On another note, I got an R From Threepenny Review. That makes two for the day. I might just get two three-R days in a row, if I'm lucky.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Also, got spam from Pedestal Magazine. I had no idea who the heck it was, only that some guy (John Amen) claimed to be doing poetry readings. Had to look it up before I realized who it was. That's annoying.

Yeah. He has the somewhat dubious policy of putting anyone subscribed to the Pedestal mailing list on his personal mailing list for promotional announcements. I delete them. Along with most of the crap I get from Pedestal.

Crickets for me. I guess I should be pleased.
But I'm not.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I just got an R from Threepenny too. It was my second try with them. I like that they are so fast but really tough, I think.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I'll start doing that too. I didn't enjoy the fact they didn't have an unsubscribe option on the email.
Not only do they not reject you before their issue goes live, but they spam you, too. That's rather rude, I think. I almost want to start an anti-Pedestal campaign, because I really dislike (if that weren't obvious) how they treat writers.

And sorry about the R's, guys. :( :Hug2:

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
R way faster duotrope avg - is this bad?

Ohhh - how needy can I be?

Got an R from Apex after 5 days. This seems super fast to me and leads me to wonder if I was literally rejected off my title - lol!

I know, it is a silly thing to obsess over. Honestly, I am happy to have a quick response. Subbed right back out to another market I'm pretty sure is a touch above me.

Anyone else see response times this fast?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

Got an R from Apex after 5 days. This seems super fast to me and leads me to wonder if I was literally rejected off my title - lol!

I know, it is a silly thing to obsess over. Honestly, I am happy to have a quick response. Subbed right back out to another market I'm pretty sure is a touch above me.

I wouldn't read too much into Apex's response times. From what i've read from their slushies and editors, their slush reading has no real method, and so when you get a response isn't necessarily going to be related to when you subbed :)

Also :Hug2:

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
I wouldn't read too much into Apex's response times. From what i've read from their slushies and editors, their slush reading has no real method, and so when you get a response isn't necessarily going to be related to when you subbed :)

Also :Hug2:

Tender writer sensibilities soothed.

Thank you!

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score

I've seen a series of fast ones over the last couple of days. Might mean the issue they're currently reading for is full, and it has nothing to do with your writing...or title. Remember, if you write a zombie story, maybe they already have a zombie story. DON"T take it personally. And keep subbing!