• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tiger Publications

museitupeditor

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Hello everyone. It's great to be here.

There was a mention about Tiger Publications in another group so I decided to come here and read some of the postings and was surprised to see my name mentioned by Brian:

I'm not sure if this means anything, but one of their editors, Lea Schizas, has her first book coming out with Living Waters Publishing and her “awesome” new agent is… Aidana WillowRaven.

http://leaschizaseditor.com/

I'd like to respond to this post by Brian,please.

Hi Brian. I do have my first book coming out with Living Waters but it's not my first published book. I am aware of all the talk about Living Waters but as a signed and contracted author, and with behind the scenes discussions with a few other authors who are in the same boat, we haven't had any indications our trad contracts will not be carried out. Foolish or not, we're at a wait and see position since many of us have other books we are working on or sent out to other publishers.

As for Aidana, yes, it's a confict of interest seeing her connection with LW, and I told her so. My contract with Aidana was for this book to be published with LW. So what I wrote about her still stands true for me because I was able to get a trad contract and until she proves me otherwise, I can't say anything to the contrary.

Now, for Tiger Publications. I am one of the editors but can't help you with behind the scenes information only from what I've experienced with my dealings with some of the authors I've edited for and with the publisher. Once a book is accepted, one of the editors is offered the ms to edit it. I've specified which genres I am familiar with as far as arcs goes and usually am offered these genres.

I have had no negative feedback from any of the authors I've edited about the publishing house nor any concerns they may have.

As for my dealings with LW and Aidana, anyone here who knows me knows that I am open and don't shy away providing information I have experienced.

I'm not sure how much help I will be as far as Tiger Publications is concerned because my dealings with the publisher, from an editor's point of view, has been terrific but limited to a one to one with authors.

Anyway, it's great to be here and looking forward meeting everyone.

Lea Schizas

museitupeditor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this means anything, but one of their editors, Lea Schizas, has her first book coming out with Living Waters Publishing and her “awesome” new agent is… Aidana WillowRaven.

http://leaschizaseditor.com/

Hi Brian. Nice to meet you. I replied with reference to your post here on page two. Apologies. I just joined and thought I was replying to your post directly instead of on a new posting.

I don't see what my contract with LW has anything to do with Tiger Publications. It's unfortunate that some of us signed on with LW before this thing exploded but we did.

If you can hop on to my post and read it I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have on Tiger Publications. But as I wrote, I am an editor and really don't have any behind-the-scenes or contract information to give you. I work on a one-to-one basis with the authors I edit.

Okay, hopefully this response will show up on the right post. :)

Lea

writin52

Registered
Reaction score
Have not tried this publisher yet, got the blurb from my Coolstuff4writers newsletter. Let me know if you try it.
Tiger Publications: fairly new and offer $500-$5000 advances. Royalties are 7-10%. They accept multiple submissions. They have no word count or genre restrictions (recently entered YA market) Best of all: they have no limitations on the number of pages for your synopsis.
More infor about them and how to submit, please go to www.tigerpublications.com

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I checked P&E and didn't see it. Doesn't mean its bad, but there are so many small presses out there to chose from. Might want to wait till they become established. You a thought.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Well then... It's a good thing they rejected me, because The Wild Rose Press picked up the book Tiger rejected. ;)

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Tiger News:
2008-06-04
Closing Tiger's Doors
We are sorry to say that Tiger will be closing their doors.

In January, Victoria said this.

Given the frequency with which micropresses crash and burn, I think that writers would be wise to hold off on submissions at least until Tiger has proved it can release and distribute its spring and summer list.

I hope the authors will not have too much trouble disentangling themselves from Tiger.

museitupeditor

Registered
Reaction score
Just to let you know that the authors, and I am one of them, have been kept abreast from the beginning. There are two divisions, Tiger and Tiger Kids. It is Tiger that is closing.

There are a few things behind the scenes all of the authors are aware of and stand by the CEO, I'm sure news will come out in a few weeks.

As for the CEO of Tiger, Dona, all of us have her in our prayers. From a current communication from Scott and Margaret, her health has failed her and she'd like to spend time with her family.

As soon as I have more news I'll be happy to share with everyone.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If it weren't for the ease of opening a 'publishing company' on the Internet, the majority would never have opened their doors in the first place.

Amen.

I started to write that I'm sorry to hear of Tiger's demise. And I am sorry for the authors who've had their hopes dashed (and hopefully won't have too much difficulty disentangling themselves), and for the staff who've perhaps been left without paychecks. But you know what? I'm not sorry that the company is gone. IMO, amateur publishers are a plague upon writers. Of course, it's writers that keep these publishers in business, so it's a vicious cycle that never ends.

- Victoria

museitupeditor

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Victoria, as I wrote, the authors have been aware of Dona's failing health and they were the ones who have supported her but unfortunately with the last surgery it became clear one division of Tiger could not be run by one person. The decision was hard, and the authors have been mass emailed with every progress along the way. They will be getting their release papers but there is something behind the scenes as I wrote that is in the works right now. The authors are waiting and supporting to see the results and then will begin sending out their ms once again.

You wrote you are not sorry to see the company gone and I can see where you are coming from having dealt with a few now defunct publishers myself who had no clue how to communicate with their authors, or how to run their business. Dona was anything but amateur. It is unfortunate Tiger had to close but even with the closing, she still has her authors in mind and is trying to do something for them. I'm hoping it will pan out at the end so it's a wait and see situation right now.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about anybody's failing health. A similar misfortune happened to The Deepening. However, that was just short stories, not whole books.

Lea, what should folks do who subbed to Tiger? Not worry about it and cross them off their sub list, send a formal withdrawal, or wait to see if something comes back together with Tiger. I sent to the YAsubmissions address, not to the children's side.

museitupeditor

Registered
Reaction score
Marva, even though Tiger has announced they are closing their doors, being Miss Etiquette here, I would send an email to them telling them you are withdrawing your manuscript. I am not sure if the YA and the kid's subs are in the same department, however, meaning all YA going automatically to Tiger Kids. I can try and find out and let you know.

As for waiting to see if something comes back, are you referring to an official note saying Tiger is closed and will not review your manuscript? Or what will occur with the behind the scene mention I wrote about? This is only for the contracted authors already with Tiger, not the new submissions.

In my opinion, I would submit your manuscript to another publisher, especially since it's official that Tiger has closed its doors, Marva.

I hope this was helpful.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Marva, even though Tiger has announced they are closing their doors, being Miss Etiquette here, I would send an email to them telling them you are withdrawing your manuscript. I am not sure if the YA and the kid's subs are in the same department, however, meaning all YA going automatically to Tiger Kids. I can try and find out and let you know.

As for waiting to see if something comes back, are you referring to an official note saying Tiger is closed and will not review your manuscript? Or what will occur with the behind the scene mention I wrote about? This is only for the contracted authors already with Tiger, not the new submissions.

In my opinion, I would submit your manuscript to another publisher, especially since it's official that Tiger has closed its doors, Marva.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks, Lea. I'll send a note of withdrawal. You're right that it's the polite thing to do.

UPDATE: My email addressed to YAsubmissions to withdraw bounced back.

Last edited: