Picture book publishers who accept email queries and/or submissions

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the ones I can think of only take snail mail submissions.

Sempine

Registered
Reaction score
Flashlight just told me that they wanted 1000 words of text.

My cowriter and mine's text was only 226. We were expecting to hear they wanted 500--which we might expand to. 1000 words of rhyme is a lot of rhyme and meter.

Thinking about going 1000 words but not rhyming.

Maurice

JuneM

Registered
Reaction score
any others?

Any others that accept e-mails other than flashlight?

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Bloomsbury Kids USA takes e-mail submissions, but they don't reply if they're not interested and they say they could take several months to get back even if they are interested. Check their website for more info.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
Your best bet might be to try for an agent, because so many houses are closed to unsolicited MS's. I know getting an agent for PBs are hard, but it can be done (Ronnie Ann Herman at the Herman Agency reps PBs almost exclusively, for example). I would consider having a few PB's ready first though, because sometimes the feedback is a 'No to this one, but do you have anything else?' and then you definitely want to follow it up with another MS.

Good luck!

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread instead of creating a new one so that all the information is in one place.

Bloomsbury's email address isn't working. Does anyone have another email I can try?

Also, if there are any other publishers who accept email picture book submissions, feel free to share.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Join Query Tracker. Then do a search for PB or picture books (Under publishers. Or you can do the same search under agents.)

You can register on QT for free, and use the site for free. (Paid membership gives you a few extra options.) I do the free and find it works great for my needs.

Just google Query Tracker.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
jaksen, i'm a member of query tracker. There is only one picture book publisher that comes up in the search, and that publisher doesn't accept email queries. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
escritora - if you select Picture Books, you'll only get the one. My suggestion is to select Children's Fiction. You will only get a few, but that helps. Then go to the individual websites and see what they are willing to accept. I know Bloomsbury (sp) says they will not respond to unsolicited mss. but they will accept PB queries and if they are interested they'll get back to you. And they accept equeries.

I don't know about the others. But there's a start, maybe.

Best of luck.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, sissybaby. I checked under Children's as you suggested and received more results.

For those interested: Chronicle Books accepts email queries. The thread on AW brings up a concern about a conflict of interest. Predators and Editors slapped them with "not recommended." Since I've seen, read, and enjoyed Chronicle Books I submitted my picture book. If I do receive a response and I'm directed to a vanity press (read the link above for more details), I'll provide a long overdue update on that thread.

Handprint Books is another that accepts email queries. Handprint is part of Chronicle Books. The Handprint website hasn't been updated in years. I called the number on the site and Handprint Books is still in business. I asked if I can send a submission and was encouraged to do so. I did, even though something is off.

On a side, Bloomsbury's email isn't functioning. My submission bounces back. I'm using bloomsbury.kids @ bloomsburyusa.com. If anyone knows of a different address, please let me know.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
escritora - I think the Bloomsbury site said they weren't accepting anything until after the first of the year, but I may be confusing them with someone else. I'll have to go back and check.

Please keep us informed about the other submissions you made. I'll be interested in hearing.

Ah, never mind. It wasn't Bloomsbury. But their website is extremely confusing to me. In one place it says they no longer accept unsolicited manuscripts. In another it says they will not respond to unsolicited manuscripts unless they are interested. Then in another it says they welcome Picture Book submissions. So I'm very confused.

Last edited:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
escritora - I think the Bloomsbury site said they weren't accepting anything until after the first of the year, but I may be confusing them with someone else. I'll have to go back and check.

Please keep us informed about the other submissions you made. I'll be interested in hearing.

Ah, never mind. It wasn't Bloomsbury. But their website is extremely confusing to me. In one place it says they no longer accept unsolicited manuscripts. In another it says they will not respond to unsolicited manuscripts unless they are interested. Then in another it says they welcome Picture Book submissions. So I'm very confused.

It is confusing and I did what any writer would do...I interpreted the text in my favor. :) Unfortunately, the email isn't working.

Can you share the name of the publisher who is reopening submissions in the New Year?

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the submissions I sent. I won't hear back until three to six months. That's only if they are interested, tho. If I don't provide an update consider my submissions a silent rejection.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Many editors will accept e-mailed submission if you meet them first at conferences. Otherwise snail mail is still the way to go. It can be slower and more expensive however. Smaller presses are more likely to accept e-mail. Many of these are regional. Your best bet is to go through the writer's markets and figure out which publishers are right for your work. After that Google for updated guidelines.