Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Some thread moderation has happened!

Last year's posts have been archived into this thread:

Critique Circle #2 [Europe Chapter] - 2010 posts archive | [Last page]

This here thread that you're reading will contain 2011 posts pertaining to the European critique circle, which runs every month in the AW chat room.

2012 edit: also includes 2012 banter and crit group scheduling info.

How the crit group works:
The group meets in the AW critique chat room once each month, usually on the first Sunday of the month, around 3pm GMT. The thread title usually gets changed to announce this.

A week or more before the meeting, the person whose turn it is to be critiqued sends their writing sample (up to 5K words) to the nominated group admin, who distributes it via email to group members.

In the chat room, we each post comments on the sample, taking turns, usually over two rounds so everyone gets a chance to have their say, and the author gets to ask for extra clarification and discuss comments. Critique comments take the form of 2 or 3 boiled-down paragraphs focusing on the most relevant points. These chat sessions usually last between 1 and 2 hours.

Afterwards, the admin emails a transcript of the chat session to group members. Members may also email their critiques, containing fuller comments than were raised in chat, to the author, copying everyone else for info.

How do I get to the chat room?

See this thread in AW Chat forum:
FAQ about AW IRC Chat Channel (How to get there, who the operators are, etc.)

What's this BOC (Best Openings Contest) you talk about?
For the curious or puzzled, this is the Thing We Do in between crit group chats. Group members each write the first 150 of a short story or chapter, and send them to the BOC admin (me, at the moment) who strips out author info and emails the anonymous entries to all group members. Who then vote for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd favorite entries.

Winner gets applause and ice cream, but really everyone wins because it's writing practice plus opportunity to see what grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go.
-Derek

Last edited:

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Critique Circle #2 [Europe Chapter] - next chat, Mon 7 Feb @ 3pm GMT

Hey, I don't have internet. If we're on for tomorrow I have to go to base. Just let me know.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I guess (hope) we're not on. Apologies for being away for so long - out with all sorts of illnesses including the lovely vomiting virus (eww). Has anything been sent for the next get-together?

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, what's going on? Are we not having a meeting this month? C'mon, it's the new year! We need to have firmer resolutions and more energy put forth... Or so I've heard :tongue

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi April, hope you're feeling better now.
Ehab you should submit something, anything.

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, how awful of me! I hope you get better April.

Raphee, I wish I could, but I barely write these days and what I have is not 5k words and it's a very rough first draft. So, someone else should definitely submit other than me :)

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
Happy New Year to you all!!!!
Hmm... I have nothing, unless one of you wants to translate my stuff into English :D

Just curious, is there a need to change time? Maybe 3pm GMT is not suitable anymore? Or people are just busy with their lives and haven't written a thing?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have lots of stuff to submit, but I'm trying not to let you guys hate me :D

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Submit 10.
I mean in a platonic way, of course.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Thanks guys - feeling much better now. Two weeks! Erm, change of plan for me and not likely that I can make it. Sorry: constant visitors over winter, being in a ski resort and all. Can't wait for a day off either work or visitors so I can just sleep in and mooch around in jimjams!

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Jimjams?! Never heard pajammers called that. =]

Sounds good, 10.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Roughly a week from now is the Jan BOC.
If a prompt is desired, lets get some ideas together. The 15th will be here before you know it.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
10, fine for me. Will you please send me your piece as soon as you are ready? We are skipping tomorrow and I'm not going to be here for the following 2 weeks, hence Derek or SaraP will need to manage the chat.

I'd like to know who else wants to submit anything? I need to draw a clear line so we won't be struggling each month with names, dates and stuff.

Thank you all for your kind cooperation!

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Boss, since everyone is just slacking off, me first, I'd like to volunteer to submit next month after Ten. Yea yea, hold off the parade, haahaa. It's gonna be the lousiest piece yet to be read, but I have to submit something.

As for the BOC, I really like the idea that our BOC are theme-based or prompted. So, this month's BOC is about New Year's resolutions? Oops, Boss already suggested that? haahaa, New Year's resolutions it is!

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Our first BOC prompt - New Years Resolutions.
All entries due 15Jan by midnight GMT.
ALL crits due 20Jan by midnight GMT.

This hour works best; I can work on the results that evening, check for errors the following morning before posting.

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Our first BOC prompt - New Years Resolutions.
All entries due 15Jan by midnight GMT.
ALL crits due 20Jan by midnight GMT.

This hour works best; I can work on the results that evening, check for errors the following morning before posting.
Okay Boss! Errr, we have too many Bosses here, it's confusing!! Hmm, you need a nickname... Boss is for Boss, obviously... Okay, you'll stay as Debbie for now :tongue

And everyone, come out come out where ever you are!

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I want to note that yesterday marked the anniversary of this group!!! Happy anniversary everyone :)

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will the thing I'll submit now still be for the January chat or is it for the Feb one?

YAY EHAB!

Last edited:

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
I think the January chat is past its time by now, no? Unless we're having it at a different date than usual... That's something only Boss can help with.

Awww, thank you Sara and Ten :)

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As I said in my previous post... I won't be here for the next 2 weeks, so, unless Sara or Derek want to manage the chat, we'll need to postpone it till February :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
As I said in my previous post... I won't be here for the next 2 weeks
Funnily enough I can't actually recall your asking me if it's OK for you to take a couple of weeks off. Maybe the application got lost in the mail? Send it again.

Yeah, we may be too late for a crit group rendezvous this month, plus a couple of folks can't make it anyway. The first Monday in February is the 7th which is a long way away.

Just a thought... I'd be willing to go to email or SYW crit mode this month rather than chat crit, if 10trackers is eager for feedback, which would give Ewok the February crit chat slot.

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.