A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 52!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A Year of Writing Flash Fiction is a new challenge that will be held in AW's Flash Fiction forum.

It will run every week during 2013. Week 1 of the challenge will begin on Saturday 5th January.

To meet the challenge in any particular week, participants must:

1) Write a flash fiction story.
2) Polish that story.
3) Submit that story to a market.

Each of these steps must be completed within that week to count.

The aim of this challenge is to help you to develop a regular routine of writing, editing and submitting flash fiction stories.

Resources:

I will post a story prompt every Saturday, at the start of each new week of the challenge. It is not compulsory to use this prompt; it is simply offered in case you would like something to help kick-start your ideas. You are also free to use, at any time, any of the prompts posted for the Flash Fortnight challenge, all of which are listed in the links given at the bottom of this post.

The Polished and Ready room (password: flashed). Once you have edited your story as best you can, you may post your story here for feedback before you send it out.

You might like to mention that it is a story written for this challenge (for example, you could put "YOWFF 1: [Story title]" as the thread title), so that critiquers are aware that there is a time constraint on feedback. If you do post in Polished and Ready, please consider providing feedback on the stories of your fellow members and challenge participants.

The Submitting and Selling Flash Fiction room. Look over the flash fiction markets listed and discussed here to help you decide which ones you would like to submit your story to.

The Flash Fictioners' Corner Booth. Discuss your writing, commiserate with each other regarding rejections, and celebrate story acceptances. This thread is yours to use as you like!

Signature pips:

As you progress in this challenge, you might like to mark your achievements in your AW forum signature. When you reach each milestone, feel free to use the appropriate image from this super special selection:

YOWFF10-Copy_zpsbf6567c8.jpg
YOWFF20-Copy_zpsc2979595.jpg

YOWFF30-Copy_zps75e9ecf2.jpg
YOWFF40-Copy_zps9aed9655.jpg

YOWFF50-Copy_zps65167a34.jpg
YOWFF52-Copy_zpsc9fe8115.jpg

Best of luck!

Reaction score
I need to try and get back in the habit of writing stuff, so I might give this a go. Only thing is, I'm not sure I'm confident enough to try getting published yet. ^^;

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the flash fiction section of Absolute Write, but I am here to give it all a go.
See you soon!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 1!

On your marks, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 1 prompt is: Changeling.

You have until the end of Friday 11th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great idea and Sophia is brilliant for doing it. She is so brilliant, that I may even try for a few myself.

Changeling. There has to be an idea rumbling around my head for this prompt. Perhaps not with Odo from Deep Space Nine, though.

Reaction score
Just a quick question, what counts as the end of Friday 11th/etc for the purposes of this challenge? Is it midnight in EST/GMT/etc, or just for whatever time zone we're in personally?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question, what counts as the end of Friday 11th/etc for the purposes of this challenge? Is it midnight in EST/GMT/etc, or just for whatever time zone we're in personally?
Sophia can confirm this later, but for now I'd say in whatever time zone you are in will be fine.

Or GMT, as that's the one I'm in. :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever time zone we're in personally, I'd say. However, if we're talking about serious cases of procrastination that require the firm whip of discipline and deadlines, then GMT IT IS, SLACKERS.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever time zone we're in personally, I'd say. However, if we're talking about serious cases of procrastination that require the firm whip of discipline and deadlines, then GMT IT IS, SLACKERS.
:yessmiley I win! Do I get a special thingy to have in my sig for it? :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is a really good idea.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just over two days left! Which is plenty of time! Those members who have leapt to face this challenge - how are you doing?

We have one entry already up for critique in Polished and Ready (password: flashed). Spell-it-out's story is here, if you have a few minutes to read and comment before he sends it out of the door!

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
So I just saw this, but I really want to join! I totally have enough time to pull this off by midnight tomorrow...right? I was going to grade tonight (if you don't know me, I'm a middle school teacher) but maybe my kiddos can wait until Monday to get their quizzes back...

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I just saw this, but I really want to join! I totally have enough time to pull this off by midnight tomorrow...right? I was going to grade tonight (if you don't know me, I'm a middle school teacher) but maybe my kiddos can wait until Monday to get their quizzes back...

.....let em wait :D

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted "Cycle" to Flash Fiction Online, week 1 completed!
Week one, check.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted "Cycle" to Flash Fiction Online, week 1 completed!
Week one, check.

:hooray: , :Clap: and not forgetting, :banana: !

Well done, Spell-it-out! I'm really pleased for you. :)

Yasaibatake, you definitely have enough time, you mad, desperate writer, you! Write! Write like the hounds are snapping at your hair, which is on fire!

Yasaibatake

Registered
Reaction score
It is now exactly 11pm and "The Knock" has officially been submitted! Woohoo! I cheated a bit and re-used an old story idea that never went anywhere before, but this is definitely the best version I've written, so I still have hope :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo, Yasaibatake! :Clap: Fantastic work! :partyguy:

Just in time for...

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 2!

Rev your engines, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 2 prompt is: Beacon.

You have until the end of Friday 18th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Cracks Knuckles*

Here we go...

Reaction score
Hrrm...actually having more luck with coming up with an idea for Chuck Wendig's flash fic challenge than for this week's prompt.

Setting is 'Teen Noir', conflict is 'The character is being hunted' and it must include 'a vengeful god'. XD

Yasaibatake

Registered
Reaction score
I initially read this week's prompt as "bacon" :D

To my great surprise, I actually have two stories going this week! I had a good rough draft going over the weekend, and then last night's Flash Fiction Challenge produced a second story I like just as much. Maybe I'll get them both out this week...

sunjunkie

straitjacket test pilot
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! I'm late to the party but I brought this fine Cruzan rum. Can anyone play? Or only those who know the secret handshake?

:Sun:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, sunjunkie! :welcome: I commend you on your excellent sense of timing, for you are right on time for...

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 3!

Gather your milk pails, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 3 prompt is: Pasture.

You have until the end of Friday 25th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!

Yasaibatake

Registered
Reaction score
So...I hate to be that person, but how strict are we being about the "flash" part of this challenge? I think of flash fiction as being under 1,000 words, and my rough draft for this week ended up running almost 1200 words (1154 to be precise). While there's a good bit of editing to do, I'll be adding at the same time as cutting...I'm hoping to write two stories again this week, but we'll see what actually happens :)