any publishing recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusku

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cubensiscrafts.com
Hi Everyone & thanks for checking this out...

as it's my first post here...

I've finished a book which is unique in category so i'm finding it hard to find the right publisher & angle to present this.

It would be like merging new age spirituality, psychedelic with social & political satire... into a graphic novel.

I started self-publishing, 200 sold in a couple months, but realized I'm not a marketer... so i've decided to find a publisher....

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated...
Cheers!

Fedora

Registered
Reaction score
Go to conventions and meet editors. You can send in samples to places like Image or Arcana, but your chances are much better with networking than as a cold sub in the slush.

L.W.Patricks

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, conventions are the way to go. Head over to San Diego comic con and knock em dead.

Nusku

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cubensiscrafts.com
hey thanks for commenting...

i'm far from any conventions, & decided not to go the comic route, since my book is quite different...

so, i think i'm going to make it an eBook, self-publish it & go from there... make some vids with music, etc to promote it...

Cheers!

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
Nusku,

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with my fellow writers here. While the popular way to do these things is to go to conventions, I wouldn't actually bring my work there. I have done this once, created my proposal package, created my first pages, polished the script until it was perfect, and I presented it to many publishers at New York Comic Con (the second largest Con to San Diego).

I got some cards and talked to many publishers including Zenescope, Arcana and a bunch of much smaller ones. What I noticed is that a lot of the smaller publishing companies only are interested in publishing the work of a single writer (the person who owns the company) while the ones like Zenescope and Arcana get so inundated with people like yourself trying to get their story published, that it will get lost in the pile and likely thrown away before they even leave the convention center.

What I suggest doing is if you are going to go that route. Talk to some of the publishers, get their contact information, then a week or two after the con, when everything had calmed down, send them an email saying you spoke during the convention and what your story is about.

Or, do a search of comic book publishers and take a look at what they publish on their websites. If you see something similar, then send them a query.

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
I notice you mentioned e-publishing. I am going to say, however, that it isn't as easy as doing a regular book. For instance, I tried about 20 different times to publish the book on Kindle before I got the format correct, and even then, the process was beyond my understanding because it required coding.

I had asked (on this very thread I think) over a year ago for help in formatting. I went to a professional (suggested by Amazon.com) and they couldn't format it.

Eventually, I had a friend write me step by step what I needed to do and create me a template to work off of. Even then, it took me a couple tries before I got it right.

That being said. If you would like, I have the template and instructions saved on my computer for my future projects. I would be willing to share with anyone that wants them. Just keep in mind, that it isn't the easiest thing in the world.

knporter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knporter.blogspot.com
That being said. If you would like, I have the template and instructions saved on my computer for my future projects. I would be willing to share with anyone that wants them. Just keep in mind, that it isn't the easiest thing in the world.

Hey there, I have been researching ePub for my upcoming Graphic Novel series and haven't had much luck in getting information on how to go digital. I am interested in any tips or instructions you have. Thank you so much.

KN

Nusku

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cubensiscrafts.com
Thanks so much for the response Jmasica... great info!

i haven't checked this thread in a while... stoked.

yeah, i got stuck trying to find info on formatting & platforms, etc... guess it's just in the making now...

i'm looking into the iPad as the main platform with ePub format. i'm in the process of converting pdf to epub with calibre, but having some issues on the converting as it misplaces the text... but i think i'll re-send out the pdf
s from photoshop as a flattened image... & see then..

(haven't figured out the quote thing) ha
you said...

yeah! would be sweet to a a template to check out & see what can happen as i'd take my time with kindle for now...
can send you my email address?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.