Question About Microsoft Word 2007 [Solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a simple question about Microsoft Word 2007. Is there any way to set the program so that one can jump to where one left off? For example, if I left off at say page 328 in my manuscript, is there any way that I could make it go straight to page 328 automatically when I open the document?

I'll appreciate the help.

Regards,
Christina.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It needn't be that complex. I finish a writing session with three hyphens, a character string which never occurs in normal writing. (I suppose any won't-happen character string will do. Try xx, unless you mention Exxon.) When I return, I search for it, go directly there, and delete it when I begin. That way there's only one, and every search when I start for the day can only take me to the right place.

Maryn, a simple peasant woman

Takes literally about five seconds.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
It needn't be that complex. I finish a writing session with three hyphens, a character string which never occurs in normal writing. (I suppose any won't-happen character string will do. Try xx, unless you mention Exxon.) When I return, I search for it, go directly there, and delete it when I begin. That way there's only one, and every search when I start for the day can only take me to the right place.

Similarly, you can insert a bookmark.

Shift+F5 works for me in Word 2010 (takes me to the last edit point), but it sounds like this doesn't work in Word 2007?

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

Maryn, a simple peasant woman

Takes literally about five seconds.

That is an elementary little trick, but I will try that. Thanks for the help. It hadn't occurred to me.

LJD: I would try that but for some reason the function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc) in my netbook don't work.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
As early as Word 2002 you can click the Insert menu command, then click Bookmark. No need to use Fkeys at all.

In the dialogue box that comes up you can assign a name to the bookmark. For instance, you could place a bookmark at the beginning of each chapter. Or in your case your last edit.

You then use the Insert -> Bookmark dialogue to Go To specific bookmarks. Or to Delete specific bookmarks.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The simplest possible way is just to leave a unique character string at your ending place, and search for it. I generally use "xxxxxxx". Takes about two seconds to get there.

caw

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
caw.

Maryn, communicating at a higher level

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Or, personalize it!!! I'm kkbe, so I type kkkkkk's. Christina, you could type a string of cccccc's!!!!

Btw, it doesn't matter how many, you don't even have to count; give it a try--it's functional AND fun!!!!

:D

Last edited:

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
If its a long piece of work, then I just insert an index. The tree sits on the left side and you move from chapter to chapter with a single click. Works especially well if you bounce all over the place.

Of course, you could also try Scrivener as a replacement for Word - and it opens were you have last left off :)

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
CTRL + G, then the page number.

I do like Celt-x for that reason - most of the time it opens up to where I last was writing or editing but so long as you can remember the page number then the above is just fine.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Word 2013 provides a link to pick up where you left off upon re-opening a document, which is a nice little feature. Ctrl-End will take you to the end of a document, but of course that might not always be where you were last.

I would strongly recommend using Header styles to name your chapters - this way you can use the inbuilt document map (included since at least Word 2003) to quickly navigate around your file. I don't like using bookmarks, personally. I find they aren't exact enough - often jumping to a bookmark at the start of a page will take you to the end of the previous page instead. They can be annoying when passing files around others as well, as many people don't set the view options to make them visible.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The simplest possible way is just to leave a unique character string at your ending place, and search for it. I generally use "xxxxxxx". Takes about two seconds to get there.

caw

I tried that since I opened the thread and it worked like a charm.

caw.

Maryn, communicating at a higher level

Great minds think alike. :Thumbs:

Or, personalize it!!! I'm kkbe, so I type kkkkkk's. Christina, you could type a string of cccccc's!!!!

Btw, it doesn't matter how many, you don't even have to count; give it a try--it's functional AND fun!!!!

:D

Personally, I would only write like five C's, ccccc, so that I don't lose count of how many there are making it impossible to find the marking string. That's pretty cool. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

If its a long piece of work, then I just insert an index. The tree sits on the left side and you move from chapter to chapter with a single click. Works especially well if you bounce all over the place.

Of course, you could also try Scrivener as a replacement for Word - and it opens were you have last left off :)

This just might be the best suggestion yet. Thank you. It'll be very similar to just opening the document where one left off because I always remember the next chapter I'm working on. For instance, for tomorrow my next chapter to work on is 43, so I just find chapter 43 in the index and voila.

Is Scrivener free or will I have to pay for it?

CTRL + G, then the page number.

I do like Celt-x for that reason - most of the time it opens up to where I last was writing or editing but so long as you can remember the page number then the above is just fine.

I will try this also. Thanks. I will try all your suggestions.

Word 2013 provides a link to pick up where you left off upon re-opening a document, which is a nice little feature. Ctrl-End will take you to the end of a document, but of course that might not always be where you were last.

I would strongly recommend using Header styles to name your chapters - this way you can use the inbuilt document map (included since at least Word 2003) to quickly navigate around your file. I don't like using bookmarks, personally. I find they aren't exact enough - often jumping to a bookmark at the start of a page will take you to the end of the previous page instead. They can be annoying when passing files around others as well, as many people don't set the view options to make them visible.

I have Word 2007, and I'd only purchase Word 2013 if I didn't have Word at all. This hand-me-down computer came with Word 2007 installed when it got to my hands, so that's what I use. I will only purchase a new version of Word if this hard drive gets formatted or something bad happens to this machine.

I will try Headers as well. This question is now solved. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Chris!

ETA: I would download a 60-day trial of Office 2013, but I'm on a 4G mobile broadband internet service and I only have 1000 minutes to download stuff, and I ran out of that just by downloading three 35-kilobyte pictures and two songs on iTunes. :Soapbox: When I get an internet service that lets me have unlimited downloads, I'll download the trial of Office 2013.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
IF YOU DECIDE TO TRIAL Office 2013, be sure to back up EVERY document first.

Bad things can happen when you load a version jump as big as 7-13 and then decide to take the 13 trial off later.

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score

caw

Ha! I thought I was the only one who had that idea! I have been using that trick with Word for over 10 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.