Italics in replies using Quote facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably just a lone grump, but I wonder why original text appearing in replies using the QUOTE facility is shown in italics when finally posted via Save.

It's not that bad where short posts are under reply, but in Share-Your-Work for instance I find it tiresome to read whole chapters and relative in-narrative comments in italics.

I find I can get rid of the italics by adding a ] immediately after the initial [QUOTE but wondered if there was any particular reason why quoted text had a default font of italics. The quoted text under reply is in its own box, so italics don't seem necessary.

Just curious.

Deleted member 42

It's hard-coded in the vBulletin Stylesheet; at this point, it's a Huge Giant PITA for me to change it. I'd have to change not only the CSS, and Templates (doable; I've already done it for AW), but I'd have to change the PHP.

Wherein the Giant PITA.

But in the next upgrade? Yeah, quoted text will be inset and in a shaded box, but not in italics.

There are workarounds, but they're all kinda clumsy.

There's also a potential for allowing Members/users to set a preference, which if it makes it to the final version of the next release, will let members set how they see the forum (but not how OTHERS see the forum).

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly- my grump wasn't because I have to change anything - it's because other folk don't.

=onesecondglance;7991231]It's more of a pain when other people don't do that. Obviously most can't edit others' posts.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty clever for a baby in a bib, if you ask me.

Maryn, aware no one did

Deleted member 42

Sounds very cool, Mediavalist. Is there a timetable for that upgrade, or is it a longer term plan?

There's an internal timetable, yes, and since we'll have to shut down the forums for a day or two, we'll give folk advance notice.

It's stil a ways off.

Deleted member 42

Thanks - sorry for being a nosey git :D

No worries!

What I'm thinking about doing is having the Originally posted by in italics, followed by the linked UserName thus:

Originally posted by Bufty
viewpost.gif

With the quoted text in Roman against the gray background.

I always hesitate to change anything though, because quite a lot of members find any change problematic.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thankyou. Understood and appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.