What's your book subject?

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
The Girls' Ghost Hunting Guide will be published next spring by Sourcebooks:Jabberwocky as a fun, informative guide for girls (aged 10-14) to dip their toes in ghost hunting while learning investigative skills, to cut the fluff from the "stuff" and use household items/self instead of relying on fancy (and expensive) equipment as tools during the investigation.

Rowdymama

Dogzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, I would love to read your book, focusonenergy!

My books are about travel.

Matchy

Lazy Daizy...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of editing and translating a journal of a WWII soldier who was imprisoned in Russia and sent to the Gulag. The journal was given to my father who passed it on to me. It is an day to day account of how he was captured and how - despite the fact he was a German soldier - the Russian people he ran into were helping him. It is somewhat hard to write- the research is difficult at best due to the language barrier (Russian). But I think it's a story that needs to be told.

JackNamesThePlanets

Glory to the Hypno-Toad
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing a piece on the recent (1950's onwards) use of armed struggle by separatist/nationalist groups in western Europe.

Obviously it will include such well known groups as the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) and Euskadi ta Askatasuna (ETA) along with more obsucre organisations such as Terra Lliure and the South Tyrolean Liberation Committee.

Currently at 45,000 words with a fair bit more to go.

Richard J. Kimmel

Registered
Reaction score
My subjects have always been in the Paranormal area. Although my expertise is in working with haunted wartime artifacts my latest manuscript for Schiffer Publishing, not yet completed, deals with the fine line between folklore and the paranormal.

Richard

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Wow there are some extremely interesting topics here. I wish you all well so I can read them!

Mine is about Indian land title in New York State. Aside from being a historian I'm an abstractor, which is a person who does the title search when a house is bought or sold, or someone takes out a mortgage. The bank does a search t5o make sure the title is clear and there are no leins.

So I look at their land and treaties in the same way as other land transactions were/are conducted. That their reservations are not inside NYS, but rather the state is around them since the title to their land never changed hands, they really are separate nations. For example: Could the Six Nations foreclose on the State of New York for non-payment?

Anyway, I'm just self publishing since it is a real niche type thing. It is actually a collection of articles I wrote when I did a weekly column for a Native American newspaper. I'm just laying them out into chapters, adding some info and maps. Laying it all out is tedious stuff for sure.

R K Sidler

Registered
Reaction score
What Religions Don't Want You to Know...An Expose' of Belief Systems

What Religions Don't Want You to Know is not an attempt to drive anyone away from his or her belief in God. However, this book is an indictment against religion itself; that is, breaking the false premise that religion is a necessary medium required to have a relationship with God. The book examines the historical record and behavior of certain well known religions who have perpetrated atrocities in the name of God, and considers a common thread inherent among all religions and denominations, i.e., control and manipulation over their adherents.While much of the information focuses on the exposure of fallacies in religion, and secularized philosophies, direction and information is provided for the purpose of promoting informed self-determination.

Just released 7 days ago on Amazon.

http://www.religionvsthebible.com/

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Comments and criticism are more than welcome. I've been writing for 30 years. I'm used to it.

When you have Asperger’s Syndrome, you just miss making contact with the rest of the world. Everything in life – career success, personal independence, even getting a girl to go out with you is just beyond your grasp. You feel like you’re permanently viewing the world through bubble wrap, just able to see what’s going on, but never being able to focus. Never being able to make contact. Feeling like there is “Always One More Thing” standing between you and the rest of the world.

“Always One More Thing” is the memoir of a man who has lived with it for 47 years. It’s about a childhood where you alternate from being the ‘little professor” one minute to being utterly clueless the next. It’s about not realizing how you have made yourself into the class punching bag. It’s about being able to remember all the pennant number of American battleships, but being unable to hold an ordinary conversation. It’s about thinking you are extremely talented and important one minute and wishing you were dead the next. Above all, it’s about resilience, survival, learning, and hope.

I have worked in journalism and public relations for 30 years, hold a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from the New School for Social Research, gained in 2001, but first learned my craft decades before that from the great Frank McCourt, as one of his high school students. I was further intrigued by your literary agency when I saw from your website that you specialize in autobiographies and memoirs. Perhaps you might be interested in my story.

One of the first investors to identify a housing bubble in the US and the disaster that would soon follow has Aspergers and only one eye. He made a fortune on his investments. Can't recall his name

megwwood

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie, Hi, and first post!

My ebook is about infidelity. I combined how-to, catch your spouse cheating and gather the evidence, with self-help, stay calm and don't turn into a raging psycho in the process. My research came from months of tracking my spouse through online affairs, learning all about software and social networking sites as well as going undercover and having an online affair with him. I'm horrible at sitting still for very long and tend to write the most after 2 or 3 beers. Still figuring it all out but really loving the process.

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
My upcoming title will be a niche how-to relationship/dating guide for men who are into top-heavy women. I actually enjoyed the research because it unearthed so much useful information to build on, and it allowed me to build the guide on a foundation of educating my target audience.

VictoriaHS

Registered
Reaction score
Years ago now, and though a weird twist of fatefull circumstances, I met an adventure traveller, and as (at the time) I had never done any travel or God forbid adventure, I was quite overwhelmed by this man, whom the first night we met happily announced he was going to Asia backpacking for 2 years!
I had finally met the man of my dreams and I am going to loose him for such a long time....so rather than loose him, I go with him!
What followed was a farce ridden, string of disasters from day one, as we covered India, Nepal, Everest base camp trek, China, Indoniesia, Thailand and Malaysia.
Years later after posting snippits of this embarracing trip on my blog, a friend convinced me to write it, properly...so far I have had 5 rejections (not surprizing) from agents.
I have a sneaky feeling my road to publication is going to be so very much harder than my disastrous Everest trek!
:e2beat::e2writer:

Crazy Ivan

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Registered
Reaction score
The title I settled on is "How Do You Know? One Man Tries to Understand Faith."

I don't get faith.

I don't get how people could put so much stock in a book (The Bible) especially when the creation of the Bible is so steeped in mystery.

My book, to me, is broken into three sections.

First section:
I compare this section of the book to an overture of a musical. Themes and ideas are just touched on and introduced here. My explanation of why I don’t believe, my intentions with this book and my quest were detailed in the first piece.

Second section:
The research I conducted to help me be better prepared for the interviews, to learn about the faith I was told to have and to learn about the roots of Christianity and the Bible.

Third section:
The interviews themselves where I try to find out what those who believe grasp and appreciate what I don’t.

After sitting down with 11 people, most friends and family, I transcribed their interviews. I asked them "What do you get that I'm' not?", "Where does logic end and faith begin" and question of that sort. I( also have a priest in there as well as another individual who works at a church.)

kevin butler

Registered
Reaction score
Christian parenting

I think my current writing project would fall under Christian self-help or maybe Christian how-to. I have been labeling it as Christian parenting, but maybe I just made that section up?? What would you place it under.
I have entitled my book Parenting the Greats.

To understand what the book is about, I have created a website (http://parentingthegreats.com) which keeps readers current on this writing project.

Thanks for the question.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I REALLY wanted to put a twist on a werewolf tail/tale--something that would blow the trope/canon out of the water. Remember what Michael Crichton did with Jurassic Park? I did something similar and created a wolf/human hybrid from an ancient ice age dire wolf genome. (There is a ton of non-fiction science in this book, since I followed and researched the Thylacine progect). Consequently, the DNA cloning experiment goes horribly wrong, and this leads to a litter mix of half-human, wolf and monster. A totally out-of-control situation, which involves a lonely forest ranger, who must deal with all three aberrations. It's called The Wolfen Strain, and it just came out.

Here's an interview about how this bizarre story came about:

http://we-do-write.blogspot.de/2012/06/author-update-chris-stevenson.html

tri

6gear

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harleytracks.com
NF Topic & Research

I'm new here and found this interesting and relative thread that seems to have continued to resurface over the years. So here it is again!I have a lengthy manuscript of +100K words that I think is considered a memoir, but it has been called a narrative and documentary also. It's about an unexpected motorcycle journey extensively throughout Vietnam. Solo on a Harley Davidson. I'm not a writer, historian, journalist or combat veteran. I'm just a guy who has enjoys his freedom and opportunity to ride his motorcycle. I've not been everywhere, but I have seen more of Vietnam than most people ever will, including the Vietnamese. This includes places a Harley Davidson was not made to go!The content of my tales is primarily from personal observations, experiences, thoughts and opinions. Certianly I refer to the war, however with regards to specifics I am cautious with respect to those who served. These tales could go to 120 k words as it is, IF I were to include indepth war and politic specifics it could grow into another War & Peace. However, as I refer to my qualifications, such a story is beyond my skill.The wonderful adventure I enjoyed is the bulk of the story, but an underlying story within and in closing the book pertains to a multiple aspects of freedom I had never considered.If you're interested to know more, please visit my new web site www.harleytracks.com Any and all comments are welcome.

Last edited:

Lia_joy

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I posted my subject on this thread already, but apparently not.

I'm writing about Self Directed Childbirth. My first three children were born unassisted (for the first I was completely alone) so the book was conceived with the ideas behind unassisted birth (privacy, autonomy, personal responsibility) But Self Directed Childbirth translates these concepts to a broader audience by removing emphasis on where the birth occurs and who is or is not present. My fourth child was born in a self directed hospital birth. In the book i share my story, the stories of other women, and guidance through the process of planning executing a self directed birth.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Thought that I would start something off here:

WHAT KIND OF NON-FICTION BOOK DO YOU HAVE IN THE WORKS? WHAT CATEGORY?

WHAT'S THE MOST DIFFICULT ASPECT OF RESEARCH FOR YOUR BOOK?

What a great thread, I have enjoyed reading other people's ideas. I would love to hear some follow up stories about the ones that got published and the ones that didn't and why...perhaps that is another thread. :)

Anyway, my book is inspirational. I am writing the book I wish I could find right now to read: a book about the abuse and spirituality and how the two affect each other. Questions, answers, comfort and validation.

In my research, I did find a couple books on the topic of spirituality and abuse, but they weren't what I am looking for...for my own needs. So I'm finding my own answers, and writing about them to benefit others. No need for everyone to figure these things out on their own!

So the answer to the second question about the most difficult aspect of research--finding the answers that I seek for myself so I can write about them for others. :) It's working though. I am finding the answers.

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
I am writing a memoir/autobiography on my life... A struggle to stay alive through life threatening heart conditions, abusive friends, and struggle to keep breathing. The story describes a child who is lost and slowly works to uncover the Beaty that surrounds him.

Edit: it's told in a very simple emotionally direct way...