Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
So he looks forward to seeing all of ours in print? Oh Jerry. It's not the rejection, it's the three-timing that hurts.

And we should probably be marking these as "forms" not personals, huh? Changed mine now.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry about the Dark Faith 2 R's. :( At least you know it made it past hundreds of others.

Semi-personal 23-day R from Shimmer. Better than a form, I guess, but awfully vague.

Working Title

The Indomitable Snowman
Registered
Reaction score
So were all three Dark Faith rejections the same? Or did a sincere editor not feel particularly creative that day?

Hugs for the Rs, Marzioli, Lillie, Pemako, and defcon.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Umm. I think they are identical.

I've just dragged mine out. Seems exactly the same as what Marzioli posted.

Lol. Well, it's a nice form, and Yay!!! We got a long way, even if we didn't win.

Working Title

The Indomitable Snowman
Registered
Reaction score
Well darn. Still a very nice form, and those stories will get in print someday!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose if they made the cut numerous times, he might have felt some real affinity toward them all. I'll go ahead and assume he's being kind and sincere. :D

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
17-day highest tier form from F&SF. But still from an assistant editor. I've been getting those consistently now, but am yet to reach the venerable GFG's desk.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Alex- funny, while cleaning I found one with GVG initials, so apparently I made it there once in my life. I didn't realize it before.

So sorry for all the Rs, and the close ones hurt even to read from others. At least it was a nice high form!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
24 day rejection from DSF. I've used up my go-to sci-fi markets, so time to get a little more flexible and a little more creative.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
4-Day from Clarkesworld. You know, I'm starting to feel like the submission process hasn't really begun until I get that Clarkesworld R. :tongue

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
4-Day from Clarkesworld. You know, I'm starting to feel like the submission process hasn't really begun until I get that Clarkesworld R. :tongue
I feel you. Mine's a toss up between Clarkesworld and F&SF. For the money, Clarkesworld wins, but the prestige of having a story in F&SF would be sweet. The tie-breaker is how much cash I have that I can waste on a mailed lotto-shot.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I feel you. Mine's a toss up between Clarkesworld and F&SF. For the money, Clarkesworld wins, but the prestige of having a story in F&SF would be sweet. The tie-breaker is how much cash I have that I can waste on a mailed lotto-shot.

Yeah, I'd love to make F&SF a part of my first round of subs. I've yet to send anything to them, mainly because my printer only seems to work when it wants. One of these days I'll get a new one and start harassing them too.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Yeah, I'd love to make F&SF a part of my first round of subs. I've yet to send anything to them, mainly because my printer only seems to work when it wants. One of these days I'll get a new one and start harassing them too.

I used to submit to them first when I was working full time, but now I'm a student again I simply can't afford to. Which is a shame, but never mind.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Right there with you gettingby. AGNI 127 day R. Also Ninth Letter 70 day R. Don't really have that much hope for those "big wait" markets so no skin off my beak. Especially as I am buzzing from having written, edited and subbed a whole 2000 word story in 5 hours last night to make a deadline I forgot about. Not looking at that one again until the inevitable "what-the-hell-was-this" R comes through the door!

Onwards!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Project Deadlight - I'm expecting to hear from Ninth Letter any day now. It looks like our submission timing is pretty lined up. Good for you getting another story out so quickly.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
WARNING: Pity party ahead.

28-day rejection from Abyss & Apex. It smarts because I was really hoping that they would either accept it or at least reject it before the end of May so I could submit something else to them. But instead I get an R today, on June 1st, the day after they close submissions. And they won't be accepting stories again til August! arrrgh! I have so much to give! I had at least two stories that I could have subbed to them. It's frustrating because I really like them and they seem to like my stuff (they generally hold onto it for a long time and I seem to get either personal or nice tier rejections) but it will be another two months before I can send them something.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
But instead I get an R today, on June 1st, the day after they close submissions. And they won't be accepting stories again til August!
Sounds like ST? Sorry, Sai. :(

I got an ASIM 3-day R. I love that it's 3 days, since they usually tend to send them to me in the mid to late 20's, but jeez. That place does NOT like my writing.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Now I don't feel so bad about not getting picked up for Dark Faith 2:

Jay Lake, Nick Mamatas, Laird Barron--these are some huge ass names! And while I don't recognize the rest, that does mean there were some weighty stories draining all the attention.

Last edited:

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
WARNING: Pity party ahead.

28-day rejection from Abyss & Apex. It smarts because I was really hoping that they would either accept it or at least reject it before the end of May so I could submit something else to them.

So...are you the other 28-day R on duotrope? 'Cause they did the exact same thing to me. I spent the morning wondering if the story was so bad that they intentionally held it until just after the deadline, so I couldn't send them more crap.

Then I realized I was probably being paranoid. I mean, no editor is that manipulative...right? Right??

Still, one day earlier would have been nice.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Huuuuuugs, Sai. :(:Hug2:

Those limited open submission windows are the suckage. It's odd though, because back in December, they were so much faster. I was able to sub 3 pieces to them. This time around, only one. Maybe they lost some slush readers?

Now I don't feel so bad about not getting picked up for Dark Faith 2:

Jay Lake, Nick Mamatas, Laird Barron--these are some huge ass names! And while I don't recognize the rest, that does mean there was some weighty stories draining all the attention.
I don't know any of those people. Oh well, I'm sure they'll do a DF 3--and that too will be filled with "big" names. :tongue