Status
Not open for further replies.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Is there a way on Chrome to get it to not show HTML code, for example, when you go to post a link on a forum and you attach a link to a message and the HTML code is shown wrapped around the link in the message box while typing the message. Or is this just the way it is on Chrome? It's kind of annoying.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about this too.

My desktop shows the code, and my laptop doesn't. Always found it odd.
Scratch that. Checked it right now and its still showing code. Isn't there some type of add-on for this?

Last edited:

GrayLensman

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Is there a way on Chrome to get it to not show HTML code, for example, when you go to post a link on a forum and you attach a link to a message and the HTML code is shown wrapped around the link in the message box while typing the message. Or is this just the way it is on Chrome? It's kind of annoying.
I'm not sure I understand the question.

When I type the link to Mac's main site below:

http://www.absolutewrite.com

I don't see any HTML code. I don't see the code when I read the post later, either.

But it *has* to convert to HTML at some point in order to become a valid hyperlink for a browser to follow.

But, again, I don't think I understand the question.

Deleted member 42

I think there are a couple of things going on here.

1. Do you see this on AW forums?

AW uses BB Code. It is not html, though it is a kind of mark up, that is, tags are used to identify text strings in terms of what kind of data they describe; vBulletin interprets this code, and then sends a translation of it to the user/member/reader/s browser.

2. If by "code" you mean something that looks like this for a link:

[URL="http://www.absolutewrite.com"]Absolute Write's Top Page[/URL]

Which once you post looks like this:

Absolute Write's Top Page

That's a feature, not a bug, and the software for the forum (this one or another) is designed to show the tags deliberately.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
When I use Chrome I see the tags, just as Lisa has described.

When I use Firefox, I only see the {quote} and {/quote} tags, which is generally helpful. But if I add a link to a post, then I don't see the tags in the dialogue box: it looks just as it would once the post is made.

I prefer using Firefox when I'm on AW for this reason alone: seeing all the tags is intrusive and distracting, and makes reviewing my comments here much more difficult for me.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Medievalist, what I'm talking about is number two.

And what I see is how Old Hack describes. So I guess it must be a Chrome thing and there's nothing to change it. I guess every browser has its pluses and minuses. I like Chrome because it's faster than Mozilla and I can get onto websites that Mozilla doesn't like, but there are kinks that I dislike, like the showing of tags in a message box when you create a link. Thanks for taking the time in your responses. At least I'm not the only one it happens to.

Deleted member 42

Tepelus and Old Hack are you both on Windows?

I don't see the behavior Old Hack describes in any browser on Mac OS X (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or Opera).

I generally use Chrome.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on Windows 8 and Windows 7, and that's how it works for me on both.

Something I do like about Chrome is how it adds a little pullable corner to the dialogue boxes here, so I can resize them easily. That option isn't there with Firefox or IE.

Deleted member 42

Tepelus and Old Hack, which vBulletin edit option are you using?

1. Go to your User CP
  2. Click Edit Options on the left
  3. Scroll down to the bottom where it says Miscellaneous Options
  4. Under Message Editor Options, which setting are you using?

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Medievalist, what I'm talking about is number two.

And what I see is how Old Hack describes. So I guess it must be a Chrome thing and there's nothing to change it. I guess every browser has its pluses and minuses. I like Chrome because it's faster than Mozilla and I can get onto websites that Mozilla doesn't like, but there are kinks that I dislike, like the showing of tags in a message box when you create a link. Thanks for taking the time in your responses. At least I'm not the only one it happens to.

I use Chrome on Windows. I do not see the BBcode unless quoted on purpose or broken.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Medi, when I go to where you asked, under the Message Editor Interface options I'm using "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing". Is that what you needed to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.