Middling It

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Think I'm about to go mad! Have had a story at Electric Velocipede since December 22 - it's "under review," and rejections generally go out in 1-2 days. Then again, it's in *a* queue (perhaps the "recommended" queue, another poster suggested), and it's only dropped 20-odd spaces in ten days, and has been at the same place (50-something) for several of said days! Watching this second queue inch its way down...

You've made it past the slush reader. John reads just a couple of stories a day. That's why the queue is ticking down so slowly :)

quovadis

Registered
Reaction score
You've made it past the slush reader. John reads just a couple of stories a day. That's why the queue is ticking down so slowly :)

Alex, thanks - that's what I thought/hoped! Still, frustrating to be at the same place in the queue for a week at a time! But I'll cross my fingers and hope EV bites...

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Not really related to publishing but I'm middling it in just about everything else when it comes to writing. In the middle of editing one story, in the middle of writing another story, and in the middle of those is one completed first draft. And I totally blame you guys because reading this subforum has inspired me to get back into the submission game. :D

Welcome back :) I'm one of the new guys here.

As far as middling it goes, i just found out the next issue of Abomination Magazine has been put on hold "indefinitely" for personal reasons relating to the editor.

I hope everything works out for them, but this means the story I sent to them 43 days ago (their max response time is 45 days) probably hasn't even been read. They encouraged everyone with submitted work to send it elsewhere *large sigh*

Well on the plus side of things, I think I've finally found my niche, right at the corner of Horror Street and Science Fiction Avenue. Good things are bound to come eventually, right?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
They encouraged everyone with submitted work to send it elsewhere *large sigh*

Welcome Niccolo!

And yeah, that's a bummer, definitely sub it somewhere else. That's pretty much market-shorthand for "we're never going to look at all the stuff we've got".

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Niccolo!

And yeah, that's a bummer, definitely sub it somewhere else. That's pretty much market-shorthand for "we're never going to look at all the stuff we've got".

Thanks :) And it's already been sent off to Waylines. I've only heard good things about them so far, so here's hoping.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
More middling news: I've been informed I've made it to the final round at Nightfall Magazine and am a "serious contender." Between that and Apex middling this week, I'm going to have to start smoking again.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Niccolo, and good luck everyone middling!

O'Dandelo, I was wondering, did you get a confirmation when you first subbed to Nightfall? I subbed back in November, but didn't receive a confirmation, so I'm wondering now if I should query in case my sub got lost in the ether.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
No, fihr, I didn't hear a peep until yesterday when I got the advancement email. I was at 50 days. I get the impression that they didn't send out confirmation emails.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
did you get a confirmation when you first subbed to Nightf@ll? I subbed back in November, but didn't receive a confirmation, so I'm wondering now if I should query in case my sub got lost in the ether.
I'm out at 44 days at that market. When I queried on Facebook (to a post that said resubmit if you hadn't received confirmation or a response by a certain date) they said my story was in the queue and they'd get to me shortly. Not sure what to make of your sub at this point, but I don't suppose an email query would hurt your chances. They've been responding to subs younger than yours already. Hope it works out.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks O'Dandelo and Marzioli. Now that I know they don't send out confirmations, I'm not too fussed. But I may email them just to make sure they received it.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Some middling news finally - 2nd round bump at W@ylines.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Has anyone heard anything lately from Untied Shoelaces? I have a sub out at 20 days with them, which is a bit longer than the norm, but at least according to DT (yes, I paid the money!), it looks their responses stalled out back in early January....

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
They have a log in on their page Squeaky and you can check the status. They have three stages, PENDING REVIEW, UNDER REVIEW (Or something similar) and PERCOLATING. I've only ever percolated once before. Let me know where yours is at. :)

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, PD. I just checked and guess what?? I'm coffee!!! Nice to share the pot with you, sir. :)

Do other places do this? I always see people on "middling it" and other threads talking about a submission's progress, and I never know how they know. Back when I used to submit (the 90s), it was the old stuff-it-in-an-envelope-and-forget-about-it method. Should I be checking the status on all my electronic subs?

Oh, btw, congratulations on your recent acceptance. Looking forward to the reveal.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Thanks, PD. I just checked and guess what?? I'm coffee!!! Nice to share the pot with you, sir. :)

Do other places do this? I always see people on "middling it" and other threads talking about a submission's progress, and I never know how they know. Back when I used to submit (the 90s), it was the old stuff-it-in-an-envelope-and-forget-about-it method. Should I be checking the status on all my electronic subs?

Oh, btw, congratulations on your recent acceptance. Looking forward to the reveal.

For what it's worth, my middling news always comes at the end of an email letting me know that I've been passed up. :)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully it means we've made it through slush. :)

I tend to only report middling it if I've had an email saying I've been put through or if I know the market and have a good idea their submission system status means something more than the submission has been opened. For example I wouldn't report anything "In Progress" on Submittable.

I think if you're not in the habit of checking stati ;) then don't start; I drive myself mad.