Status
Not open for further replies.

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
At the risk of revisiting something otherwise thought settled, I respectfully disagree with the idea that Pearl Harbour was anything other than a phenomenally bad call. Even without the benefit of hindsight.

There are several reasons for this. First off, it is inconceivable that America would not have responded to a direct attack, regardless of whether or not war had been declared. Even if Japan had observed the formalities, America's wrath would have been assured.

Had the carriers been sunk that wrath would have struggled for immediate expression, but the restructuring of the industrial base to wage a counter-offensive seems inevitable. There was nothing the Japanese could have done to prevent it. Or, to quote Max Hastings (probably my favourite WWII military historian):

Admiral Chuichi Nagumo was stunned by the success of his own aircraft in wrecking 5 US battleships in their Sunday-morning attacks. For many years, it was argued that he wilfully missed the opportunity to follow through with a second strike against Pearl Harbour's oil storage tanks and repair facilities, which might have forced the Pacific Fleet to withdraw to the US west coast. Recent research shows, however, that this was not feasible. The winter day was too short to launch and recover a second strike, and in any event Japanese bombloads were too small plausibly to wreck Pearl's repair bases. Even the problem created by destruction of shore oil tanks could have been solved by diverting tankers from the Atlantic. The core reality was that Nagumo's attack sufficed to shock, maul and enrage the Americans, but not to cripple their war-fighting capability. It was thus a grossly misconceived operation.

The successful sinking of the American carrier fleet at Pearl would have complicated the American response, and delayed it, but I can't believe it would have prevented it entirely.

BM

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok the double clicking worked in yWriter, it's going to take me awhile to get used to this I started in Scrivner but didn't want to pay for it and switched over to OneNote which I love and hate... <sigh>

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok the double clicking worked in yWriter, it's going to take me awhile to get used to this I started in Scrivner but didn't want to pay for it and switched over to OneNote which I love and hate... <sigh>

Don't worry, you'll get there. yW is much easier to use than Scrivener and it has boosted my output, like, exponentially. If you have questions, holla.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too much food omg too much food halp.

What kinda food, and how long has it been in there?

I have studied four lectures, my lab book, and some articles. Then I made muffins (still baking). Now I shall do dishes and stare at my to do list while considering watching Buffy instead.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I left Pages for Scrivener. We're still in the honeymoon phase. Pages tells me he'll be here. Just sitting in the corner. Whenever I need him.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing satisfies me like Scrivener. Although from time to time, I go behind her back with OpenOffice when I need my simpler desires sated in a hurry.

But don't tell her I said that. :D

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guys, I need a bit of help.

Most of you know I have had tummy issues for a while. I have food allergies as well. Now my GP thinks (and it feels like) I have another one. I have an appt with the appropriate doctor in 9 days.

Meanwhile, I feel SO crappy. I am nauseous all the time, have severe tummy aches, etc.

So to get through these nine days with as few issues as possible, what are foods I can eat that very likely won't give an adverse reaction? Like, white rice, and what else?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
*imagines Hillz wrapped in Jalepeno leggings for warmth*

I just ate some jalapenos, and they were quite warming. :) The Chilli Peppers stuff is thermal underwear. Very nice beneath the jeans when it's 17F out.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is possible to be allergic to white rice, but see how it goes. Chicken is usually okay. Any grain you've rarely eatten, like buckwheat perhaps or quinoa since you're in Europe, is a very good choice. Same for meats. If your body hasnt been exposed it's less likely to be allergic.

There is a Small chance that if your gi is that farked you could develop an allergy right now to a new food (my farked body decided it couldnt handle the american staples of wheat and corn).

Foods low in protein like potatoes and tapioca are generally safe. You can probably google the least allergenic foods.

To make matters worse, it's not just what you eat or the proportions you eat, but the foods effects on you. Take ginger for example. Great for nausea, right? Well if your GI/stomach needs to go downward (er, the food and energy need to go down) then its great. If you are like me and almost never vomit nor feel like doing so, ginger can make your gi an even harder knot of pain. Ask me how I know.

Some foods, like buckwheat are cooling. Great for me in the morning when I run hot and can walk around my house half dressed. Bad idea when I run cold every night and cant circulate heat to my hands.

You can google TCM and food for more. Trying to figure out what food you need is hard though, so consider a TCM practitioner who specializes in food. Avoid herbs until you see your normal doctor unless you feel comfortable with trying them (based on someones recommendation, not just trial and error!)

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Hillz- ohhhhh.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@10- Post in Conq Challenges. So many folks have food allergies/intolerances/GI-uber-gremlins.

*sets out pumpkin muffins* They are free of many common allergens. Help yourself, 10 and anyone else.

Which reminds me: I've never heard of a pumpkin allergy and it's an excellent fiber for anyone. If you know you are okay with dairy and eggs, try a pumpkin gratin. Or if you want simple mix one part puree to one part yogurt and heat slowly and gently. Enjoy. Skip the spices for now, or use less potent types.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ps- I only figured out the ginger thing last week. I should probably take the food course my TCVM school offers.

Thats traditional Chinese vet med.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
A couple hours of the Sims and I'm in a better mood. My character has a horse and we won the Junior Jumping Championship. :D

Things finally cooled down though they never really got all the heated. I usually just ignore my mom when she starts nagging, but I was already annoyed by our prior argument.

I'm too tired to write tonight, so I think I'll watch some of my recorded shows.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're gonna need a pic, er, screenshot of that Champion horse ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.