Facebook page for your book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackandblues

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a Facebook fan page for your book or for your publishing company? I'm curious on the best way to use Facebook because practically all of my target niche market is on Facebook. Thanks!

KateHawkings

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
My heart will always live in the land of the long
Website
katherinehawkings.blogspot.com
I use Facebook with an author's page. I decided I'd rather have a page the encompasses me and all of my books, rather than having to build one up every time I release something new. I've found it's a better platform to connect with readers than my blog or twitter, although I'm still figuring out whether or not to create separate pages for the books too...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I follow people on Twitter and Facebook, not books or companies. When my friends have books out and create separate pages or accounts for them, I follow or like them--but I interract with the people.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I use Facebook with an author's page. I decided I'd rather have a page the encompasses me and all of my books, rather than having to build one up every time I release something new.

^^^^^^^^^This. I created a Facebook author page rather than a separate page for each book.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Kat. I tried about half dozen SN, including FB for 6 months, recorded hits/royalties, and observed no significant benefit. I know some swear by SN, and that's great, but my experience has been different. Wrote a 3 part article on self promo and Social Networks came out low down on the stack of 2 dozen promo activities I collected data on for 2 years. The source for the article is on my link page (self promo: what works/what doesn't).

Course JMO. I know some swear by SN, but not one of my promo activities anymore. Several of my author buds/budettes have dropped from their list also.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think pages for each book could quickly get a bit unmanagable if you are quite prolific. Perhaps an author page would be best if you have a lot of work.

mackandblues

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - good food for thought.

I'm going to publish a study guide for last year pharmacy students in Texas to help them pass one of their Board tests. The problem is that last year pharmacy students are not on campus anymore - they are doing clinical rotations all over the state at various hospitals and clinics and pharmacies, etc. So even though they may be from the same school, they are not even in the same city for their last year. Anyways so I figure Facebook might be a really good way just to get the word out that my study guide is available.

Also my 5 year plan is to publish 2 more pharmacy student related texts so just trying to figure out the best way to do this thing :)

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely go with an author FB page than one for every book. You can collect people over time this way, rather than having to start again on each book

Plus it should make things much easier to keep organised

With regards to using FB, well it depends on your market and what you hope to get out of it. I personally feel FB can be used for:

- A kind of RSS feed, simply updating your page with your Blog Posts
- A genuine social network where you engage regularly with your fans (like one would do on Twitter)
- Create competitions and contests as i feel the sharing functionality on FB is better than any other platform. Twitter is great, but i feel re-tweets get lost, whereas because every member has a FB profile you can keep track of your friends shares and likes much easier

Also, FB is good for photos i guess, so this is a good way to keep people up to date with things like new covers (maybe a contest), book signings etc

All depends what you hope to get out of it and how you prioritise. I think you can only heavily involve yourself on a few media, but that doesn't mean you can't utilise other popular medias for specific functions

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I have an author's page, and I have a book page. The problem for me is that I'm not really sure what to post on the book page to seed interest in it. Right now I'm just letting it hang out, and hoping it attracts friendly visitors.

OohLaLaura

Registered
Reaction score
I tried about half dozen SN, including FB for 6 months, recorded hits/royalties, and observed no significant benefit. """"

Do you think this is due to your target audience?
For example would a YA Sci Fi novel be more marketable through social networking than, say....a historical romance that would be targeted to a senior citizen demographic?

Sarah Renee Crane

Scribbly Dibbling ;)
Registered
Reaction score
I think that your success on FB probably would depend on your target audience. I think it would be a great way to communicate with your fans if you have a lot going. You could also offer a percentage off your book in exchange for a like on FB. You would have to have the ability to have discount codes on your website though.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
http://www.facebook.com/page_guidelines.php

Hmm... not sure exactly what Facebook's Terms of Service would be on liking the page and receiving a discount coupon. On the one hand, they seem to say it's okay, but on the other hand it seems a bit vague.

iii. You must not condition registration or entry upon the user taking any action using any Facebook features or functionality other than liking a Page, checking in to a Place, or connecting to your app. For example, you must not condition registration or entry upon the user liking a Wall post, or commenting or uploading a photo on a Wall.
iv. You must not use Facebook features or functionality as a promotion’s registration or entry mechanism. For example, the act of liking a Page or checking in to a Place cannot automatically register or enter a promotion participant.
v. You must not use Facebook features or functionality, such as the Like button, as a voting mechanism for a promotion.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
i must say i agree with others in the idea of an author page rather than separate ones for each book.

Unless each book is going to target completely different kinds of people, then you will need to try and get new followers each time. An overall page can grow organically over time, which is much easier for you to both maintain and extend reach

Plus, you get to communicate with people who possibly enjoyed a book a few years back, and then sees you have a new one about to release. This connects with people much better than saying, hey, can you join another group of mine...

Build a platform for you rather than your books. You're the star, you're the person people connect with. I don't know aout you, but when i read a book i like i look for other books from that author. Why? Because i liked what they had to say and want to see if they connect with me on a deeper level

Just my thoughts anyways

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

Quiggs1982

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryellenquigley.com
I use Facebook for an author page. I don't know that I would make a page specifically for a book. Mostly because every time I write something new, it would need a new Facebook page. For me, it is easier to keep everything in one place.

I have seen authors make fan pages for characters, but these are usually series with a big following. Sherrilyn Kenyon is famous for this. She had a page for Acheron, who is her best known character.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to risk sounding like an idiot here, but I've got to ask, what exactly is a facebook page?

I'm on facebook in a personal, not professional capacity, where my 'friends' are family and old school friends and acquaintences, etc. This is my private inner circle site, with family photos and stuff, and the privacy settings mean only friends can see the content. And I'd like to keep it that way - separating private from professional.

At the bottom of my facebook however I see a button marked 'create a page'. I've never understood what it's for and I've never clicked it.

Would I use this to create an author page that would remain separate from my personal site? Would readers need to be accepted as 'friends' to access the author page, and if so would that give them access to my personal site too, or is this something completely different?

There's a lot I don't understand about facebook and I use a bare minimum of its functions. Any help to clear my confusion would be appreciated.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Rob, there are two kinds of pages on FB. One is linked to your personal FB home page. The other is one you create that is not linked to your personal FB home page. This page has the LIKE button on it and anyone can view it. When people LIKE the page, posts you make show up on their home page. You can create this page by going to the FB sign-in page and creating a new user ID. I have one listed in my signature line, if you'd like to see one and how it is different from a regular FB page.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Merri. I did check out other FB pages on here and saw the difference. But if I create a new ID using my own name, won't it clash with my personal page which also uses my name? Is there a function when you sign up a new ID that makes it different from a 'normal' facebook page (with friends and privacy rather than generic like)?

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Yes. You won't use the same ID. Possibly Rob Lopez Books or Author Rob Lopez. FB gives you an option to make a page for your business. You will also need a separate e-mail address. Play around with the options and you'll get a feel for the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.