Men's Cologne

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
I need some help finding out what men's colognes were available in the late Forties and the Fifties in the US.

I know about Old Spice and Bay Rum. Were there any others? I remember my Dad had some cologne called Nine Flags - nine separate little bottles of fragrances named after different countries. I remember him having that in the Sixties, though. His International Man of Mystery phase :tongue

Any thoughts would be great, it's not a big plot point, but different scents are important in my stories for some reason....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Err no....

It's because where I'm from they didn't! Most working class men couldn't afford perfume!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of men back then didn't use cologne, but did slap on aftershave.

I'm not sure why. I later discovered that aftershave stung like hell. It was about 80% alcohol.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My father (who is from that generation) used Old Spice aftershave or something called Aqua Velva (this was in the sixties, I don't know whether it was available in the fifties).

He was a machinist--who are not exactly "dandies".

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brut - that was more of a perfume than an aftershave.

If I recall correctly 'Splash it all over' was the marketing slogan in the UK.

Think it was around in the fifties.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Err no....

It's because where I'm from they didn't! Most working class men couldn't afford perfume!

No offense intended. My father was a sailor, not exactly ritzy. My grandfathers were a machinist and a fireman and they had their bottles of bay rum and Old Spice.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
My Dad wore Old Spice and English Leather. I also remember him telling me he slicked up his hair into a duck's ass (?) with pomade. It was pink, but I didn't think it had a scent.

Oh and he was a machinist too, later a plumber.

My Grandfather (a farmer) washed up with LAVA soap and some foul smelling orange thing. If I remember the name I'll post it.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Bay Rum and Old Spice were staples in barber shops in the US since before WWII; not much changed since then. Those scents were the hallmarks of having a shave with a straight razor - a culturally acceptable symbol of masculinity.

It was the advent and pervasive spread of television in the post -war era that spurred advertisers into a frenzy for products the public didn't even know they needed; cologne of various new scents for the common man represented a bold new market. It really gained strength in the '60s. Today the fragrance industry (antiperspirant, deodorant, perfume, cologne, etc.) is colossal on a world wide scale.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
No offense intended. My father was a sailor, not exactly ritzy. My grandfathers were a machinist and a fireman and they had their bottles of bay rum and Old Spice.

None taken, Katie. I'm just not used to being called a whippersnapper any more! LOL!

I'm sure some blokes did wear it back in the fifties but I wouldn't think it would be many. Fifties is my dad's generation and he put quite a few things on his hair to get a DA. But perfume not so much.

It could also be a cultural thing. It might have been more widespread in America.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - I was thinking it might have been more of an American thing that a British one, too.

Thanks, ironmikezero, I was thinking about those barbershop bottles. In our hometown, the barber was "Fuzzy" Frizzell, and he kept personal bottles of bay rum and Old Spice for regular customers ;)

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
I know Acqua Di Parma was a strong favorite with David Niven, Bogart and Cary Grant back in the day. Beautiful fragrance but expensive.