Malware warning on AW ad! [Resolved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
Twice today (different AW pages each day, and not every time I click to the page, so I presume it's a rotating ad at the top that's doing it), Chrome has blocked access:

Chrome said:
Danger: Malware Ahead!
Google Chrome has blocked access to this page on absolutewrite.com.
Content from cm.netseer.com, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your computer with malware.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll make sure the administrators are aware of this.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
AC, I'm getting it, too. It seems to have to do with one of the ad servers.

(btw folks? That means it isn't AW. More likely a bad injection coming from one of the servers that feeds the ads at the top of the page. I suspect more info will follow.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks; I'm looking into it.

Note that it isn't on AW's server.

It's possibly an ad subcontracted by Google. AW doesn't have a contract with netseer directly.

This will take me a while, so please be patient.

Last edited:

Briony-zisaya

Punctuation and I don't get along
Registered
Reaction score
OK whew, glad to see it isn't just me. Had it happen this morning and then again a few minutes ago when I logged on. Thanks for looking into this, much appreciated. :)

Deleted member 42

It looks like it's associated with more than one ad; other site admins I've talked to have reports from users too.

I'd be delighted if anyone sees the ad or gets a report with more data than I have already—it would make it much easier for me to file a report and block the ad on AW.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The Netseer warning was because they were hacked:

SAN JOSE -- Malware warnings halted Internet users from visiting popular sites across the Internet on Monday morning, including the Mercury News, after Silicon Valley advertising company Netseer's website was hacked. The company said its ads were not infected with any virus, and Google (GOOG) cleared the company and halted the malware warnings.

Full Netseer story here

Status
Not open for further replies.